Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default castellated socket

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 7:03 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Only one I come up with is:

http://www.powerhousetool.com/socketcas.htm

Power House Tool, Inc.
626 Nicholson Street
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: (815) 727-6301 * Fax (815) 727-4835

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 7:03*pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever
they are called. *Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. *Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Like a 4WD hub nut socket?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 7:36 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 2, 7:03 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Like a 4WD hub nut socket?

That'd be just a trip down to NAPA, etc., and would probably require a
special deep socket.

As usual, I'm jonesing to know *what* the weird tool is gonna be used
for.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jun 3, 7:36 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 2, 7:03 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines,
whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW
and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Like a 4WD hub nut socket?

That'd be just a trip down to NAPA, etc., and would probably require a
special deep socket.

As usual, I'm jonesing to know *what* the weird tool is gonna be used
for.

Dave

Dave: I need this for the nut holding the yoke on top of the rotor shaft
for my Baby Belle helicopter. I'm overhauling the main rotor transmission.
The castellated nut has just about zero clearance around the outside so the
socket must engage the slots in the castellated nut. So far I've found a
couple of possible candidates: A Dana 70 axle nut Snap-on tool @$80. It is
not clear that it is the right diameter, another is a socket used in turbine
maintenance. It sounds right with the 2" but it has a 1 1/2" drive. The
turbine label will probably induce $$. I'm surprised that this is such a
special item.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 11:47 am, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Is the safari the same in this respect?

http://www.acehelicopter.com/index.htm

Maybe they can suggest a tool source.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Jun 3, 7:36 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 2, 7:03 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines,
whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW
and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Like a 4WD hub nut socket?

That'd be just a trip down to NAPA, etc., and would probably require a
special deep socket.

As usual, I'm jonesing to know *what* the weird tool is gonna be used
for.

Dave

Dave: I need this for the nut holding the yoke on top of the rotor shaft
for my Baby Belle helicopter.

Is this the one that helicopter mechanics in Vietnam called the "Jesus nut"?
You're a brave man, Stu. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:03:20 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

if you're tring to get off one of these:
http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=34

try this:
http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=75

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is the safari the same in this respect?

http://www.acehelicopter.com/index.htm

Maybe they can suggest a tool source.

Dave

Yes the same bird and acehelicopter told me that they just machined one out
of a socket. That is certainly an option but if there is one off the shelf,
it saves my socket.
Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Yep one and the same. Not brave, just stupid enough to try a bunch of
things.
Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

if you're tring to get off one of these:
http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=34

try this:
http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=75

Thank You,
Randy

Thanks Randy, that was a different source. The problem I have is that there
is no clearance around the outside of the castellated nut so the socket must
look like the Snap-On Tools axle nut socket for the Dana 70 axles. I haven't
found the OD of the Snap-On socket, I did find their $80 price tag which
makes building one look better.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

if you're tring to get off one of these:
http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=34

try this:
http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=75

Thank You,
Randy

Thanks Randy, that was a different source. The problem I have is that there
is no clearance around the outside of the castellated nut so the socket must
look like the Snap-On Tools axle nut socket for the Dana 70 axles. I haven't
found the OD of the Snap-On socket, I did find their $80 price tag which
makes building one look better.

Stu

$80 makes building look good- but maybe it can be made from a piece of
pipe?

Before I had a mill, I was fond of brazing bits of cut nails, or other
scrap, to the end of a pipe rather than machining it down.

You could even braze/weld pieces to the outside of the pipe, extending
below the end a bit, to make clearance a non-issue.

End cap and an old extension (or filing a square hole), and you have a
place to put the torque wrench.

Just curious, how many foot-pounds does this get torqued to?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Doesn't say in the transmission assembly manual. I guess it is the standard
propellor retention torque: "All you can do with both hands and a quarter
turn more". I will have to do some analysis to come up with my best guess as
to what the proper torque should be. The Yoke that it restrains is double
keyed to the shaft and is heated to 300° then pressed on and then the
"Jesus" nut is torqued and a safety bolt is screwed into the side creating a
good safety.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Is the safari the same in this respect?

http://www.acehelicopter.com/index.htm

Maybe they can suggest a tool source.

Dave

Yes the same bird and acehelicopter told me that they just machined one out
of a socket. That is certainly an option but if there is one off the shelf,
it saves my socket.
Stu

Buy a harbor freight grade socket, or better yet, a decent one from a
pawn shop, and have at it.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

As I fondly recall, the "extender" for the Huey Jeasus nut was about 20
feet long.

You can get quite a bit of torque from one of those....

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 6:55*pm, Trevor Jones wrote:
Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:Is the safari the same in this respect?

http://www.acehelicopter.com/index.htm

Maybe they can suggest a tool source.

Dave

Yes the same bird and acehelicopter told me that they just machined one out
of a socket. *That is certainly an option but if there is one off the shelf,
it saves my socket.
Stu

* Buy a harbor freight grade socket, or better yet, a decent one from a
pawn shop, and have at it.

* Cheers
* *Trevor Jones

I used a new black impact 1/2" to 3/4" adapter of similar national
origin on a Chevy S10 front axle nut last week and sheared it right
off, just me pulling on a 20" breaker bar, no hammering or other
normal abuse. I've made sockets like that for military ground
equipment but there are no Jesus nuts on a radio.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Jun 3, 2:01 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

Doesn't say in the transmission assembly manual. I guess it is the
standard propellor retention torque: "All you can do with both hands
and a quarter turn more". I will have to do some analysis to come up
with my best guess as to what the proper torque should be. The Yoke
that it restrains is double keyed to the shaft and is heated to 300°
then pressed on and then the "Jesus" nut is torqued and a safety bolt
is screwed into the side creating a good safety.

As I fondly recall, the "extender" for the Huey Jeasus nut was about 20
feet long.

You can get quite a bit of torque from one of those....

Richard

Wander into an Autozone or Advance Auto and ask to look at the set of
axle nut sockets they will have for tool rental. If they have the one
you need rent the set and return it when your done. You pay a deposit
equal to the cost of the tools, they return it when you bring them back.
No charge for the use of the tools as long as you don't break them.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Stu,

Often, the castellation spacing of the "hills and valleys" are equal.
If that is the case with you problem, any chance of getting an old nut
and brazing it onto a tube shaft.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:47:00 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

On Jun 2, 7:03 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines,
whatever
they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India,

NSW
and
other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:56:57 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote...
"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote...

Dave: I need this for the nut holding the yoke on top of the rotor shaft
for my Baby Belle helicopter.

Is this the one that helicopter mechanics in Vietnam called the "Jesus
nut"? You're a brave man, Stu. d8-)

Yep one and the same. Not brave, just stupid enough to try a bunch of
things.

Voice of Reason here... Damn, Ed beat me to it.

If you are removing and replacing the Jesus Nut I would be a VERY
leery of off-the-wall solutions, since for obvious reasons you do NOT
want to put any side stress on that shaft, or damage the nut in any
way during the process of removal and replacement.

Belt, suspenders, and safety pin your shirt to your pants - that
sucker fails in flight you'd better have your will in order.

Unless you can track down the exact specs on how that socket needs
to be made (all dimensions, materials, heat treat, plating, etc.) and
duplicate it properly, this is the time to suck it up and find the
proper socket wrench. Track down the actual manufacturer of said nut,
if anyone knows a cheap(er) place to get the wrench they will.

One company makes the tool, but other suppliers will buy it and put
their name on it - and double the price. Track down the OEM, and it
won't be as bad.

The aircraft industry often figures out how /not/ to do something
after a fatal crash or two - like how /not/ to remove and replace
DC-10 engines with a forklift instead of the proper cradle and hoist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...nes_Flight_191

And you don't want to be the one that finds out how /not/ to do
this.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

Steve: Both Autozone and Napa had castellated sockets (axle nut sockets) but
none of them were the 2" size that I need. It is looking more and more like
a cheap socket and my mill.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 1:35*pm, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
Dave: *I need this for the nut holding the yoke on top of the rotor shaft
for my Baby Belle helicopter.
Is this the one that helicopter mechanics in Vietnam called the "Jesus
nut"? You're a brave man, Stu. d8-)

Look at the bright side. Bailing out will be a lot safer without the
main rotor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Dave: *I need this for the nut holding the yoke on top of the rotor shaft
for my Baby Belle helicopter.
Is this the one that helicopter mechanics in Vietnam called the "Jesus
nut"? You're a brave man, Stu. d8-)

Look at the bright side. Bailing out will be a lot safer without the
main rotor.

Indeed.....

Gunner, pondering old memories
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Dave: I need this for the nut holding the yoke on top of the rotor shaft
for my Baby Belle helicopter.

Is this the one that helicopter mechanics in Vietnam called the "Jesus
nut"? You're a brave man, Stu. d8-)

Look at the bright side. Bailing out will be a lot safer without the
main rotor.

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute.
So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute.
So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

The Ka-50 has an ejection seat, but they pop the blades first.

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/ka50-01.htm

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
[...]

I've made up my mind that if I die, someone else can worry about the
leavings.

[...]

I've been all over the internet and the socket I'm looking for is similar to
axle sockets. However none that I've seen are the right size. The Safari
Kit manufacturer suggested that I make one out of a 2" OD socket. That is
what they did.
However, the prices on some of the sockets ranged from $82 for a Snap-On
socket for a Dana 70 axle to $330 for one used on aircraft Turbines. Both,
however were too large for my application. Tool maker I guess I am.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute.
So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

ut

I see you were so shook up by that it efected your fingers. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute.
So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

ut

I see you were so shook up by that it efected your fingers. :-)
...lew...

True, it has been a while.
And true, just thinking about it makes my hands shake again.

Didn't you know that's how you can spot helicopter people?
By the shaky hands?

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:37:01 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute.
So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

ut

I see you were so shook up by that it efected your fingers. :-)
...lew...

True, it has been a while.
And true, just thinking about it makes my hands shake again.

Didn't you know that's how you can spot helicopter people?
By the shaky hands?

And you can spot guys who have flown into combat in helos...they often
tend to sit on their hats...or a phone book.....

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I retired from those things at 19 with nearly 1200 hours total
and about 600 of that combat assault.

Stuart's Baby Belle is probably as safe as a helicopter gets.

If he ever offered me a chance to fly it, I'd be tempted.
I can't say I'd accept (no offense, Stuart!), but I'd be tempted.

That would break my 39 year sanity check.

(9 from 8, borrow one, wow! 39 years - who'da thunk it!?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute.
So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

ut

I see you were so shook up by that it efected your fingers. :-)
...lew...

True, it has been a while.
And true, just thinking about it makes my hands shake again.

Didn't you know that's how you can spot helicopter people?
By the shaky hands?

I lost the urge to ride in a helicopter while working at Carin
airfield, where the US Army trained helicopter pilots. Watching a bunch
of the student pilots taking off at the same time, from the control
tower was enough to convince me they were all insane.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 04:05:24 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

I retired from those things at 19 with nearly 1200 hours total
and about 600 of that combat assault.

Stuart's Baby Belle is probably as safe as a helicopter gets.

If he ever offered me a chance to fly it, I'd be tempted.
I can't say I'd accept (no offense, Stuart!), but I'd be tempted.

That would break my 39 year sanity check.

(9 from 8, borrow one, wow! 39 years - who'da thunk it!?)

Go ahead and do it, it's not a measure of insanity, but of inner
strength - Flying is a rather safe and fun pastime when they aren't
shooting SAM's and AAA at you...

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I retired from those things at 19 with nearly 1200 hours total
and about 600 of that combat assault.

Stuart's Baby Belle is probably as safe as a helicopter gets.

If he ever offered me a chance to fly it, I'd be tempted.
I can't say I'd accept (no offense, Stuart!), but I'd be tempted.

That would break my 39 year sanity check.

(9 from 8, borrow one, wow! 39 years - who'da thunk it!?)

Go ahead and do it, it's not a measure of insanity, but of inner
strength - Flying is a rather safe and fun pastime when they aren't
shooting SAM's and AAA at you...

-- Bruce --

I was never shot at by AA and SANMS.
Small arms and RPGs did a fin enough job.

I Dunno, Bruce.
I just can't seem to relax in a helicopter without my M-60
security blanket...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

I doubt you'll ever see a helicopter pilot with a parachute.
So "bailing oiy" is probably going to hurt.

Richard

There are ejection seats on some.

Just one more thing to make a bad day worse, when the sequencer fails
to fire the explosive bolts that hold the blades on the head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamov_Ka-50

Never doubt. Someone, somewhere, has thought about just about everything!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Sky+ socket anywhere? JoeJoe UK diy 4 November 21st 06 04:07 PM
Help with outside socket htmark98 UK diy 12 March 20th 06 10:17 PM
2.5mm DC socket [email protected] UK diy 31 February 15th 06 11:24 AM
OT-ish PIR Socket Ash UK diy 2 March 9th 05 07:26 PM
Odd BT socket Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 28 September 28th 04 11:24 AM