Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Canned food. Where and how are the cans made?

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Bob,

Back in the day when I worked on the railway, cans were indeed made at
"The Can", and loaded into box cars for shipment to the canning
factories. Don't know about now-a-days, but there are many many small
canning plants that I doubt can afford to have the equipment and
ability, and then only use it for a growing season.

Take care.

Brian Lawson

ps...can manufacturing is VERY noisy.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:50:46 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Faribault foods, in Cokato MN, canning factory has a warehouse full of
lid-less cans. I get the pallets they come on for my business use. My
neighbor drives their truck. He goes out with a load of peas, corn and
ravioli. Comes back with a load of empty cans. Fortunately,for me, the empty
can pallets aren't good enough for full can pallets.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Bob AZ wrote:

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Crown Cork and Seal, Inc.

American Can Co.

Continental Can Co.

Some others I forget now

Google "metal can manufacturers" (no quotes)

The trucking company my father managed a terminal for hauled hundreds of
thousands of pounds of tin-plate steel from Weirton Steel and Wheeling
Steel to Chicago annually. They were only one trucking company hauling
it. Then there was the rail traffic hauling the stuff.

Also other steel companies made tin-plate.

In-the-Old-Days Dept:

A friend of the family worked at Weirton Steel as a Tin-plate Inspector,
called Tin Flippers by the mill workers, inspecting cut plate. These
folks, mostly women, literally flipped millions of pieces of material a
year from one stack to another, checking for bad finish and, believe it
or not, weight. It was a treat to go to the butcher shop with Joann.
When the counterman weighed out her purchase, she'd pick it up and tell
him how many ounces he was short or over. It became a game between them
over the years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

years and years ago (late 1960's) the jones brothers cannery in
griffith australia had the machinery to make cans in a continuous
process from stamped flat sheet. wasnt a very big system. they
basically made the cans, filled them with peaches and pears and sealed
them up, then stuck the labels on. all done in house.

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:
I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

The first name that comes to mind is Continental Can Co.
I remember it because of the logo. Three concentric C s
I'm sure there are a lot more.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
m...
The first name that comes to mind is Continental Can Co.
I remember it because of the logo. Three concentric C s
I'm sure there are a lot more.
...lew...

It has been US Can for the last 20 years or so.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

years and years ago (late 1960's) the jones brothers cannery in
griffith australia had the machinery to make cans in a continuous
process from stamped flat sheet. wasnt a very big system. they
basically made the cans, filled them with peaches and pears and sealed
them up, then stuck the labels on. all done in house.

They CAN make the cans in-house, but most of the time they are made
at a dedicated container factory and shipped in by the pallet, layered
with cardboard and plastic over-wrap.

The company in Australia probably made their own cans because there
were no container manufacturers in easy trucking distance - fuel and
shipping costs are larger than the cost of buying manning and
maintaining the can manufacturing gear. Then it makes sense to make
them on site.

Unless they want to be vertical manufacturers, and can do enough
volume to make it work - Huish Chemicals is a big detergent and
cleaning products manufacturer that bought their own injection
molding, die-cutting and printing gear, and they set up an in-house
division to make their own color printed plastic pails and cardboard
boxes. Straight from the container shop to the packaging line.

Food containers have the added wrinkle that they have to be cleaned
before filling. If they are made in-house and kept clean it's a lot
simpler, when they've been shipped you never know what they were
exposed to while on the road.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

wrote:

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

years and years ago (late 1960's) the jones brothers cannery in
griffith australia had the machinery to make cans in a continuous
process from stamped flat sheet. wasnt a very big system. they
basically made the cans, filled them with peaches and pears and sealed
them up, then stuck the labels on. all done in house.

They CAN make the cans in-house, but most of the time they are made
at a dedicated container factory and shipped in by the pallet, layered
with cardboard and plastic over-wrap.

Ya better tell Heinz where they're going wrong then. :-)
Local Heinz factory has the cans transported across the street inverted on
cable conveyors from the can-making facility, direct to individual fillers.
Last I heard, all Heinz factories are self-sufficient with can making facilities.

-- Bruce --

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As a teen I worked in a fish cannery,

FLATTENED can's and lids came on pallets. One "job station" was running the
"can expander", It "un-flattened" them, rolled on a bottom, and sent them
ratteling on down the line to be filled.

IIRC Ours came from AmCanCo (American Can Company)

--.- Dave

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom wrote:

They CAN make the cans in-house, but most of the time they are made
at a dedicated container factory and shipped in by the pallet, layered
with cardboard and plastic over-wrap.

Ya better tell Heinz where they're going wrong then. :-)
Local Heinz factory has the cans transported across the street inverted on
cable conveyors from the can-making facility, direct to individual fillers.
Last I heard, all Heinz factories are self-sufficient with can making facilities.

It is a matter of the scale of the operation. Heinz is big enough to have a
dedicated facility. Economy of scale.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave August" wrote:

FLATTENED can's and lids came on pallets. One "job station" was running the
"can expander", It "un-flattened" them, rolled on a bottom, and sent them
ratteling on down the line to be filled.

This was a three piece can? Can't imagine it being the modern two piece
can. Tell us more.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 May 2008 15:49:09 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Dave
August" wrote,
FLATTENED can's and lids came on pallets. One "job station" was running the
"can expander", It "un-flattened" them, rolled on a bottom, and sent them
ratteling on down the line to be filled.

Did they have a crease where they were flattened?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Harmon" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 24 May 2008 15:49:09 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Dave
August" wrote,
FLATTENED can's and lids came on pallets. One "job station" was running
the
"can expander", It "un-flattened" them, rolled on a bottom, and sent them
ratteling on down the line to be filled.

Did they have a crease where they were flattened?

The ones I remember had a side seam. There would be no crease.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This was the late 60's... Salmon cannery, Kenai Pensulia in Alaska, Yep 3
piece cans, like old soup cans, top and bottom were the same piece, only
difference was the batch lot number that got stamped in the tops...

In the 40's and 50's here in Monterey "Sardine Capitol of the World",
AmCanCo had can factory that feed stamped 2 piece cans to all the local
canneries. IIRC one or two of these local canneries used some 3 piece cans,
and no I never worked the canneries here's, by the 60's all but one had
closed.

--.- Dave

"Wes" wrote in message
"Dave August" wrote:

FLATTENED can's and lids came on pallets. One "job station" was running
the
"can expander", It "un-flattened" them, rolled on a bottom, and sent them
ratteling on down the line to be filled.

This was a three piece can? Can't imagine it being the modern two piece
can. Tell us more.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 10:50*pm, Bob AZ wrote:
I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? *It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob *AZ

When I worked for Coca Cola, our cans came in an extremely long
tractor trailer (only legal in 4 states) from Crown Cork & Seal in
Corsicana, TX.

Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden. [email protected] Home Repair 106 May 8th 08 09:43 PM
Other advancements were also being made to improve the durability ofthe wristwatch. The faces were replace with ones made of synthetic plastic.This made them much more durable and resistant to breaking and cracking.Another advancement was in the dial wholesale2 Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 08:16 PM
How to clean a stain off a machine made or hand made rug reviberation Home Repair 1 June 21st 07 08:03 PM
oil cans?? fred Metalworking 12 March 5th 06 05:39 PM
what are tin cans, really? Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 April 11th 05 02:40 AM