Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default Canned food. Where and how are the cans made?

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Sat, 24 May 2008 20:17:01 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:50:46 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

years and years ago (late 1960's) the jones brothers cannery in
griffith australia had the machinery to make cans in a continuous
process from stamped flat sheet. wasnt a very big system. they
basically made the cans, filled them with peaches and pears and sealed
them up, then stuck the labels on. all done in house.

They CAN make the cans in-house, but most of the time they are made
at a dedicated container factory and shipped in by the pallet, layered
with cardboard and plastic over-wrap.

Ya better tell Heinz where they're going wrong then. :-)
Local Heinz factory has the cans transported across the street inverted on
cable conveyors from the can-making facility, direct to individual fillers.
Last I heard, all Heinz factories are self-sufficient with can making facilities.

-- Bruce --

Tom