Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar John Husvar is offline

Default Canned food. Where and how are the cans made?

In article
,
Bob AZ wrote:

I have been wondering for a long time. Where and how are the cans made
for canned food? It would be costly to ship them empty from another
location so I imagine the cans are made at the food processing/
packaging plant but this is only a guess.

So anybody know anything more?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Crown Cork and Seal, Inc.

American Can Co.

Continental Can Co.

Some others I forget now

Google "metal can manufacturers" (no quotes)

The trucking company my father managed a terminal for hauled hundreds of
thousands of pounds of tin-plate steel from Weirton Steel and Wheeling
Steel to Chicago annually. They were only one trucking company hauling
it. Then there was the rail traffic hauling the stuff.

Also other steel companies made tin-plate.

In-the-Old-Days Dept:

A friend of the family worked at Weirton Steel as a Tin-plate Inspector,
called Tin Flippers by the mill workers, inspecting cut plate. These
folks, mostly women, literally flipped millions of pieces of material a
year from one stack to another, checking for bad finish and, believe it
or not, weight. It was a treat to go to the butcher shop with Joann.
When the counterman weighed out her purchase, she'd pick it up and tell
him how many ounces he was short or over. It became a game between them
over the years.