Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Foot controls

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe? I bought them, along with two
barbecue spit motors to someday make a welding positioner. Although my
latest idea is to make a gas tank tumbler to clean out my welder gas tank
with some sand and metal nuts and washers.

Steve

--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe?

Unlikely. I believe those work with universal type motors, and most
drill presses do not use that type of motor.

I bought them, along with two
barbecue spit motors to someday make a welding positioner. Although my
latest idea is to make a gas tank tumbler to clean out my welder gas tank
with some sand and metal nuts and washers.

BBQ motors will be too slow. I built a SCUBA tank tumbler and you want
the tank turning at around 25 RPM or so with a sand / water slury
inside.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:54:46 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe?

Yes, if your drillpress is powered by a sewing machine motor. I have
one like that, a little Cameron MicroDrill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:54:46 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe? I bought them, along with two
barbecue spit motors to someday make a welding positioner. Although my
latest idea is to make a gas tank tumbler to clean out my welder gas tank
with some sand and metal nuts and washers.

Steve

No. Most of those foot controls are a variable resistor of some sort
IRRC and will likely burn out in short order under the load of a big
motor.

You need a simple pushbutton switch with something like a pedal to
push down on that switch, and a stop so you dont mash the switch.

A hinge, a switch, some wire, a bit of sheetmetal...

Ebay has a number of them. You really should put a foot guard on it
if you are making up one..an easy project.

I use these as I get them fairly regularly

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-LOT-OF-2-USED-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or similar ones.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:41:16 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:54:46 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe?

Yes, if your drillpress is powered by a sewing machine motor. I have
one like that, a little Cameron MicroDrill.

Ooooo!!! You have a Cameron????? Way cool!

Neat little things.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 5, 3:54*am, "SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:
I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. *Would these
work on a drill press? *I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. *Yes? *No? *Definitely? *Maybe? *I bought them, along with two
barbecue spit motors to someday make a welding positioner. *Although my
latest idea is to make a gas tank tumbler to clean out my welder gas tank
with some sand and metal nuts and washers.

Steve

--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,
not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."
Theodore Roosevelt 1891

Sewing machine motors have brushes, all but the tiniest drill presses
use induction motors. You can't control an induction motor's speed by
controlling the voltage, all you can do is burn it out. Sewing
machine speed controls are just resistors, which work with the AC/DC
brush motors on the machines. These motors also draw a lot less
current than a decent drill press' induction motor. You CAN control
induction motor speed to a certain degree with solid state controls
that control the frequency of the applied AC voltage, these cost a lot
more than a variable resistance foot control, though. Search on "VFD"
in the r.c.m. archives on google groups for more info on those. Best
bet is to come up with a combination of pulleys and belts to get your
speed reduction. You CAN make large slow-speed pulleys from plywood,
it's been done with home-made cement mixers. Just don't underestimate
loads when sizing the bearings.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:54:46 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe?

Yes, if your drillpress is powered by a sewing machine motor. I have
one like that, a little Cameron MicroDrill.

Ooooo!!! You have a Cameron????? Way cool!

Neat little things.

It is! Model 164, still in production I think. Age indeterminate --
it belonged to a friend's dad who was an independent machinist in LA
for many years, retired in the late '60's. It needs a new belt.
Probably available from Cameron if I'd ever remember to call 'em and
ask about it.

I use it for drilling circuitboards with small carbide bits.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:54:46 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe?

Yes, if your drillpress is powered by a sewing machine motor. I have
one like that, a little Cameron MicroDrill.

Ooooo!!! You have a Cameron????? Way cool!

Neat little things.

It is! Model 164, still in production I think. Age indeterminate --
it belonged to a friend's dad who was an independent machinist in LA
for many years, retired in the late '60's. It needs a new belt.
Probably available from Cameron if I'd ever remember to call 'em and
ask about it.

I use it for drilling circuitboards with small carbide bits.

When I was at Westec last month I chatted with the Cameron people, and
they sent me a bunch of propaganda in the mail last week.

Ive got some "sensitive drill presses" but nothing that small

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-05, SteveB toquerville wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe?

No! Even

# # ###
## # #### ###
# # # # # ###
# # # # # #
# # # # #
# ## # # ###
# # #### ###

if you can read it (proportional space fonts probably will render it
difficult to read, fixed should be fine.

The motors on the Singer sewing machines (e.g. my 221
"Featherweight") are brush equipped universal motors, and will vary
speed with applied current and with load to some extent. These motors
will work with either DC or AC.

The foot speed controls are variable series resistance -- done
by a stack of carbon blocks which get squshed together by the foot
pressure to reduce their resistance and allow more current through to
the motor.

And since there are three pins on the connector from the
controller to the sewing machine, yet only two pins on the power cord
(long before the common grounded outlets), I strongly suspect that the
foot speed controller is varying the current only to one of two places
which get power in a universal motor. Those two pieces are the rotor
(through the brushes and commutator) and the field (stationary magnetic
frame).

Hmm ... the power cord is on those three pins too, so it may be
just to get power to the light on the sewing machine. Skip the idea of
the split rotor and field windings.

Any reasonable sized drill press will have an induction motor --
no brushes, AC only, and their speed is mostly controlled by the power
line frequency (within a narrow range, unless the drill press is large
enough to have a three-phase motor which can be speed controlled by a
VFD.) Your sewing machine foot speed control will at most change the
torque load at which the motor stalls. And given the relaive size of
the sewing machine motor and the drill press motor, it will quite likely
burn up the foot speed controller fairly soon.

Now -- an exception to this is my little Cameron Precision
sensitive drill press, with a fairly small universal motor. This would
probably work with the foot speed control. But -- it works fine on a
little speed control box designed for the Dremel tools from before they
came with speed controllers built in. :-) This keeps me from being
tempted to render my sewing machine useless.

I bought them, along with two
barbecue spit motors to someday make a welding positioner.

Do the spit motors have brushes? I thought that they were
AC-only motors, so I don't think that the sewing machine speed
controllers would work with them either.

Although my
latest idea is to make a gas tank tumbler to clean out my welder gas tank
with some sand and metal nuts and washers.

Again -- make sure that the spit motors are brush type if you
want to control the speed.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:54:46 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe?

Yes, if your drillpress is powered by a sewing machine motor. I have
one like that, a little Cameron MicroDrill.

Ooooo!!! You have a Cameron????? Way cool!

Neat little things.

Yep. I have one which is one of the few power tools which I
bought new. It was in the early 1970s, and it cost me $149.00 new.
These days, they are frighteningly priced. :-) It was one which I could
use in my single bedroom apartment. The floor-standing 16-speed came
after I got married and moved into a house -- along with most of the
other tools. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:41:16 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[ ... ]

Yes, if your drillpress is powered by a sewing machine motor. I have
one like that, a little Cameron MicroDrill.

[ ... ]

Ooooo!!! You have a Cameron????? Way cool!

Neat little things.

It is! Model 164, still in production I think. Age indeterminate --
it belonged to a friend's dad who was an independent machinist in LA
for many years, retired in the late '60's. It needs a new belt.
Probably available from Cameron if I'd ever remember to call 'em and
ask about it.

Also, IIRC, the belt for the Singer 221 "Featherweight" will
work on it. I'm still on the first belt, but I got a spare when I got
it -- just in case, and before I discovered that the 221 belt was the
same size. :-)

I use it for drilling circuitboards with small carbide bits.

That was my initial use for it. Lots of other tiny work,
including making Ace style barrel keys to fit a rack-mount disk drive
tray which had to have the drives locked in place to turn on the power,
and obviously had to have them unlocked to change drives. :-) It was a
fun job setting up to measure how deep each half-hole had to be in the
OD of the barrel parallel to the centerline. :-)

Did you ever try using it with a HSS #70 bit in a G-10 board?
By the time you had fifty holes drilled, the bit was worn to a needle
point, and was burning its way through the boards. Look at the holes
with a jeweler's loupe and you find that the holes are lined with glass
fiber "fur". :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 May 2008 03:54:28 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

Also, IIRC, the belt for the Singer 221 "Featherweight" will
work on it. I'm still on the first belt, but I got a spare when I got
it -- just in case, and before I discovered that the 221 belt was the
same size. :-)

All right! My wife has 3 featherweights, so I can check one for fit.
If that works, "Dr. Willy" the sewing machine guy can certainly
provide.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 May 2008 03:43:57 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

The motors on the Singer sewing machines (e.g. my 221
"Featherweight") are brush equipped universal motors, and will vary
speed with applied current and with load to some extent. These motors
will work with either DC or AC.

The foot speed controls are variable series resistance -- done
by a stack of carbon blocks which get squshed together by the foot
pressure to reduce their resistance and allow more current through to
the motor.

You might find this of interest, DoN:
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/footpedal/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The motors on the Singer sewing machines (e.g. my 221
"Featherweight") are brush equipped universal motors, and will vary
speed with applied current and with load to some extent. These motors
will work with either DC or AC.

The foot speed controls are variable series resistance -- done
by a stack of carbon blocks which get squshed together by the foot
pressure to reduce their resistance and allow more current through to
the motor.

You might find this of interest, DoN:
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/footpedal/

That is a neat project. You tempt me to try to duplicate it.
(But -- I would have to contour the bottom of the pedal so it would
lock in the lid of the case as the original does. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Also, IIRC, the belt for the Singer 221 "Featherweight" will
work on it. I'm still on the first belt, but I got a spare when I got
it -- just in case, and before I discovered that the 221 belt was the
same size. :-)

All right! My wife has 3 featherweights, so I can check one for fit.
If that works, "Dr. Willy" the sewing machine guy can certainly
provide.

Let me know whether it does or not I never pulled the belt from
the sewing machine to make sure, since I had a spare anyway.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just come by a cool Wa-Wa pedal in a yard sale. I have one in the shop
my son left with me. Foot like a foot. Like on the woodies.

Someday it will be a TIG control - when it and the hand go out.
Or it will become another variable control. I'd get a go-no-go type
for on-off modes.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

The motors on the Singer sewing machines (e.g. my 221
"Featherweight") are brush equipped universal motors, and will vary
speed with applied current and with load to some extent. These motors
will work with either DC or AC.

The foot speed controls are variable series resistance -- done
by a stack of carbon blocks which get squshed together by the foot
pressure to reduce their resistance and allow more current through to
the motor.

You might find this of interest, DoN:
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/footpedal/

That is a neat project. You tempt me to try to duplicate it.
(But -- I would have to contour the bottom of the pedal so it would
lock in the lid of the case as the original does. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

Spa / Hot Tub Controls PLMHOA Home Repair 4 March 5th 08 03:52 PM
$135 per foot? Y-Town Home Repair 18 December 10th 06 04:56 PM
Where did the controls go???? Jim Poore Electronics Repair 5 February 27th 06 08:57 PM
8 FOOT vs. 4 FOOT WARRENRN1 Woodworking 11 March 22nd 04 07:19 PM