Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Foot controls

On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:54:46 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

I have two of the Singer sewing machine foot speed controls. Would these
work on a drill press? I guess one would just wire them directly to the
cord. Yes? No? Definitely? Maybe? I bought them, along with two
barbecue spit motors to someday make a welding positioner. Although my
latest idea is to make a gas tank tumbler to clean out my welder gas tank
with some sand and metal nuts and washers.

Steve

No. Most of those foot controls are a variable resistor of some sort
IRRC and will likely burn out in short order under the load of a big
motor.

You need a simple pushbutton switch with something like a pedal to
push down on that switch, and a stop so you dont mash the switch.

A hinge, a switch, some wire, a bit of sheetmetal...

Ebay has a number of them. You really should put a foot guard on it
if you are making up one..an easy project.

I use these as I get them fairly regularly

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-LOT-OF-2-USED-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or similar ones.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.