Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Foot controls

On 2008-05-06, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:02:41 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:41:16 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[ ... ]

Yes, if your drillpress is powered by a sewing machine motor. I have
one like that, a little Cameron MicroDrill.

[ ... ]

Ooooo!!! You have a Cameron????? Way cool!

Neat little things.

It is! Model 164, still in production I think. Age indeterminate --
it belonged to a friend's dad who was an independent machinist in LA
for many years, retired in the late '60's. It needs a new belt.
Probably available from Cameron if I'd ever remember to call 'em and
ask about it.

Also, IIRC, the belt for the Singer 221 "Featherweight" will
work on it. I'm still on the first belt, but I got a spare when I got
it -- just in case, and before I discovered that the 221 belt was the
same size. :-)

I use it for drilling circuitboards with small carbide bits.

That was my initial use for it. Lots of other tiny work,
including making Ace style barrel keys to fit a rack-mount disk drive
tray which had to have the drives locked in place to turn on the power,
and obviously had to have them unlocked to change drives. :-) It was a
fun job setting up to measure how deep each half-hole had to be in the
OD of the barrel parallel to the centerline. :-)

Did you ever try using it with a HSS #70 bit in a G-10 board?
By the time you had fifty holes drilled, the bit was worn to a needle
point, and was burning its way through the boards. Look at the holes
with a jeweler's loupe and you find that the holes are lined with glass
fiber "fur". :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564