Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $135 per foot?

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

well since a bedroom doesn't require appliances, and it supposedly
costs the same to remodel as a kitchen, appliances must not be
included. your number is the roughest of ballparks. think of it.
remodel a kitchen with new counters, flooring, cabinetry, etc for the
same square foot cost as a carpeted bedroom? how could that be?

Y-Town wrote:
I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

call your local building inspector they can give a ball park estimate,
the more sweat equity the better for lower price.

I like doing wiring and have traded my helping friends with their
wiring for some of their efforts here, like brick laying.

so if you have some skills and good friends you can save big bucks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would not call the first example a "remodel". I'd call it an
additon. And I if adding that room means everything from the
foundation up, $8600 sounds very low. And the second example shows the
problem with a fixed ballpark cost, because remodeling a kitchen is
very different than remodeling a bedroom.

I would say $135/ft is in the ballpark for new construction of an
average two story 3000 sqft house, using typical grade materials that
you see in new subdivisions here in NJ. But that is for a whole house,
where it's easier to make an overall comparison, because there is a lot
in common. Even then, that number could probably drop to $115 on the
low end, or be taken to $200+ by adding more tile, custom woodwork,
high end appliances, energy efficient heating/cooling, special windows,
high end plumbing fixtures, etc....

Now, since the bedroom in your example is all new, why isn't $135 a
good number? I'd say it's going to be higher than that because first
it's a much smaller job than a whole new house. Second, it involves
more work dealing with tieing it into the existing structure, as
compared to starting with a clean slate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Y-Town" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

I think you need to get some prices. There is no way a kitchen can cost
the same as a bedroom. There are so many Variables. Cook top can be from
$400 to $3000. Carpet verses hardwood , Formica Granite. The best thing to
do is sit down and think out what you really want. List every thing you can
think off , Maybe you want a electrical outlet in an odd spot this is the
kind of thing they charge you threw the nose for. Extras that's a big money
maker so pre planning is essential. Then get some hard prices. Always check
for a contractors license call the state contractors board check them out.
SEE PROOF of liability and workmen's comp insurance. References take them
for what there worth, no ones is going forward an unhappy customer, But you
can ask to see some completed jabs or some in progress. Butt do remember any
job large or small will have problems. One more thing let the Contractor get
the Subs let him assume responsibility for them, I guarantee you don't want
to start dealing with them or Passing the Buck will be all to real.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Y-Town wrote:
I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

If you think a bedroom does not require appliances you have never met
my girlfriend.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Y-Town wrote:

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

I'd wait a few months. With the housing market crashing, contractors
may soon be begging for work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:
Y-Town wrote:

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

I'd wait a few months. With the housing market crashing, contractors
may soon be begging for work.

I think they already are. I saw a heating/ac truck going down my
street putting fliers in the mailboxes. Haven't seen that in a long
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 8 Dec 2006 21:39:44 -0800, "Y-Town" wrote:

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

The counter top alone cost 15,000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 15:19:58 -0600, DK wrote:

On 8 Dec 2006 21:39:44 -0800, "Y-Town" wrote:

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

The counter top alone cost 15,000.

Not everybody uses gold plated countertops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

$135/sqft is probably a fairly good ballpark for a new addition to a home -
but that wouldn't generally include appliances or even cabinets for a
kitchen unless the contractor had a 'base' style he was using. A room as
small as 8x8 may end up costing you more since the Contractor has to build
in some base costs for getting his equipment and crew there. We added a
20x20 room at $150/sqft. We also remodeled the 12x12 kitchen it was gone
next to, and that cost more than the new room!

"Y-Town" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Y-Town" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

The answer is yes, not, definitely, and maybe. We spent $40,000 to remodel
280 sf of kitchen. New marble, new appliances, custom cabinets, travertine,
nice stuff all of it. That was $142.85 per sf.

Your figure of $135 should get you a decent remodel.

We had some extras, too. We took out the drop ceiling, and moving a wall
involved putting in a beam. Lots of rewiring, too. We had to cut the
concrete to put the sink a little farther from where it was.

$135 is realistic. You get what you pay for. You can save money by going
with lesser countertops, cabinets, and appliances. Although, they wanted
more for HD cabinets than a friend of mine did the customs for. Go figger.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On 8 Dec 2006 21:39:44 -0800, "Y-Town" wrote:

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

Using square foot estimates for building is like using the weight of a
car as an estimate of it's price.

And square foot prices can really only be calculated AFTER the fact.

Unless, you get a per square foot for say, framing, or sheet rock hanging,
or painting.

Remodels and redos don't work like that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote

I'd wait a few months. With the housing market crashing, contractors
may soon be begging for work.

I doubt it. Good competent contractors don't beg for work. Derelicts and
fugitives do. And the competent contractors you want to do a special
remodel are not busy slamming together cookie cutter houses using alien
help. In my market the good guys are busy for months out. What's left is
the dregs, derelicts, and fugitives.

And the dishonest.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote

The counter top alone cost 15,000.

That would depend totally on the square footage, wouldn't it? Mine was far
less, looks exquisite, and I'm happy as can be with the materials and
workmanship. Around $6k IIRC.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

I'd say $135/sf is reasonable, depending on a lot of things.

If you are in a pricey area like Westchester County or NYC, nope. If
you are in a lower cost area like Buffalo, probably. But that's a
reasonable number of a house, which includes a mix of kitchen, bath,
bedroom, living room, etc. spaces. So a kitchen is higher and a empty
room might be a little lower (but not much because you still have
mobilization costs). Rehabbing existing will be quite a bit higher.

Y-Town wrote:
I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Evo Evo is offline

CJT wrote:

Y-Town wrote:

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

I'd wait a few months. With the housing market crashing, contractors
may soon be begging for work.

Nice, I'm booked for the next year and at this point in my life I only do
high end stuff and those folks have money even in tight times. I only do
custom and I do it myself. So yes wait for the scum bags to come out of the
woodwork if that's what kind of job you want.

RV
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

What is it? Set 135 R.H. Woodworking 19 October 8th 06 06:53 AM
Laminate flooring into a 135º bay window base bilbo*baggins UK diy 3 September 12th 06 09:04 AM
Report on $135 HF band saw... Pete C. Metalworking 21 December 5th 05 11:17 PM
Stainless Steel Welding with sp-135? joelholio Metalworking 1 July 13th 05 05:23 AM
*** Rec.Woodworking FAQ, w/How to Filter *** 135 David F. Eisan Woodworking 0 October 24th 03 01:25 AM