Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave Sacramento Dave is offline

Default $135 per foot?

"Y-Town" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good
ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job.
For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so
8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so
10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is
it generally just construction materials and labor?

I think you need to get some prices. There is no way a kitchen can cost
the same as a bedroom. There are so many Variables. Cook top can be from
$400 to $3000. Carpet verses hardwood , Formica Granite. The best thing to
do is sit down and think out what you really want. List every thing you can
think off , Maybe you want a electrical outlet in an odd spot this is the
kind of thing they charge you threw the nose for. Extras that's a big money
maker so pre planning is essential. Then get some hard prices. Always check
for a contractors license call the state contractors board check them out.
SEE PROOF of liability and workmen's comp insurance. References take them
for what there worth, no ones is going forward an unhappy customer, But you
can ask to see some completed jabs or some in progress. Butt do remember any
job large or small will have problems. One more thing let the Contractor get
the Subs let him assume responsibility for them, I guarantee you don't want
to start dealing with them or Passing the Buck will be all to real.