Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? Set 230

On 2 May 2008 00:12:28 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

Still having problems with the images showing up on opera
depending on the size. I wonder what blogspot changed in the wrappers
of the web page to bring up this sensitivity?

I have a lot of old puzzles saved as mht files if you want
to do some comparisons...

I've heard about Opera doing this before using Windows
versions. I just messed around a bit trying different zoom
levels with the current puzzle page and couldn't duplicate
using Windows 9.27(build 8841). This is another common
problem when using the "Fit to Width" option.

You really should be using 100% for everyday viewing and
only depend upon the zoom feature for special situations...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Still having problems with the images showing up on opera
depending on the size. I wonder what blogspot changed in the wrappers
of the web page to bring up this sensitivity?

I have a lot of old puzzles saved as mht files if you want
to do some comparisons...

What is a mht file? I'm not familiar with those.

I've heard about Opera doing this before using Windows
versions.

This one is on an Sun UltraSPARC unix system -- Solaris 10 is
the unix.

Version 9.27
Build 709
Platform SunOS
System sun4u, 5.10
Qt library 3.3.5
Java Java Runtime Environment installed

Opera/9.27 (X11; SunOS sun4u; U; en)

I did not see the problem until I move to 9.27 from 9.26, but i
still have a similar system with 9.26 installed, and it shows the same
problems.

I just messed around a bit trying different zoom
levels with the current puzzle page and couldn't duplicate
using Windows 9.27(build 8841). This is another common
problem when using the "Fit to Width" option.

O.K. I think that option is on. I'll try turning it off next
time around.

You really should be using 100% for everyday viewing and
only depend upon the zoom feature for special situations...

I normally hit the puzzles as the last of a short set of blogs
after going through the morning's web comics, which I tend to find more
readable at 150% zoom, so that is the default.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 May 2008 04:16:42 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
What is a mht file? I'm not familiar with those.

Right-click on a page and choose "Save as" from the menu.
Now you should have another dialog box with an item called
"Save as type". Drop this box down to the item "Web archive
(single file)". That should default to an ".mht" file
extension.

It is commonly thought of as a Microsoft thing, the whole
page (html, css, images, js...) will be encoded into one
file much like a raw email. Try doing this once on a web
page and then looking at the file created (it will be a text
file). Opera should be able to open this file and display it
just like the original web page. Note I said should, there
are some quirks to that method/display in Opera too.

These files (mht) can also be decoded/extracted by WinZip
and some other archive programs. If you look them over they
are pretty much self explanatory. I think Opera uses Base64
for the binary items.

snip
problem when using the "Fit to Width" option.

O.K. I think that option is on. I'll try turning it off next
time around.

Just be aware that "Fit to Width" can cause some strange
problems on some pages. Try viewing the page with it off if
you are having troubles.

You really should be using 100% for everyday viewing and
only depend upon the zoom feature for special situations...

I normally hit the puzzles as the last of a short set of blogs
after going through the morning's web comics, which I tend to find more
readable at 150% zoom, so that is the default.

I can understand that, Opera's zoom has been a great feature
ever since I started using it in the late 1990's. But it can
cause some weird rendering problems. I do most of my
browsing at 100% and only use zoom here & there.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-03, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 3 May 2008 04:16:42 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
What is a mht file? I'm not familiar with those.

Right-click on a page and choose "Save as" from the menu.

Hmm ... not in the right-click menu on this system (Solaris 10
on UltraSPARC CPUs).

Now you should have another dialog box with an item called
"Save as type".

O.K. I can find this in the "File" menu.

Drop this box down to the item "Web archive
(single file)". That should default to an ".mht" file
extension.

So it does -- with a nasty (for unix systems at least), as it
saved by the file name: "D-AND_D.COM web pages.mht" instead of the
preferred "D-AND_D.COM_web_pages.mht". (I don't use spaces in filenames
as they are a pain on the unix command line.) For that matter,
Microsoft has discovered in some of their business/commercial
applications that they are a pain on the command line in Windows, too. :-)

It is commonly thought of as a Microsoft thing, the whole
page (html, css, images, js...) will be encoded into one
file much like a raw email. Try doing this once on a web
page and then looking at the file created (it will be a text
file).

So it is -- and a convenient thing to know about. Thanks!

Opera should be able to open this file and display it
just like the original web page.

O.K. I blew it away before trying this. :-)

Note I said should, there
are some quirks to that method/display in Opera too.

:-)

These files (mht) can also be decoded/extracted by WinZip
and some other archive programs.

Winzip isn't going to do much on a system running Solaris 10 on
an UltraSPARC CPU. :-)

Any clues as to the others (which would handle the whole thing)?
I could, of course edit it into separate chunks and manually run

mimeencode -u

on it -- giving it my own choice of names if necessary.

If you look them over they
are pretty much self explanatory. I think Opera uses Base64
for the binary items.

I think so.

snip
problem when using the "Fit to Width" option.

O.K. I think that option is on. I'll try turning it off next
time around.

Just be aware that "Fit to Width" can cause some strange
problems on some pages. Try viewing the page with it off if
you are having troubles.

O.K. Thanks.

You really should be using 100% for everyday viewing and
only depend upon the zoom feature for special situations...

I normally hit the puzzles as the last of a short set of blogs
after going through the morning's web comics, which I tend to find more
readable at 150% zoom, so that is the default.

I can understand that, Opera's zoom has been a great feature
ever since I started using it in the late 1990's. But it can
cause some weird rendering problems. I do most of my
browsing at 100% and only use zoom here & there.

O.K. While I often have to use zoom to be able to read the
pages (and even then is difficult with one of the dark-blue on black
pages. :-)

Wasn't it you who was curious about how well zfs worked? I've
got another bit of information. I got a newer set of fibre channel
housings (Eurologic) to replace the older EMC/Criiterion ones, and
wanted to migrate the whole pool to the newer drives (same 36GB
capacity, physically smaller) -- without shutting things down, since
both my wife and I depend on those filesystems (nine filesystems on the
pool in question). Well ... I had used the "replace" command to replace
bad drives, so I decided to try something else with it. The original FC
drives were 10-16, and the new ones were 40-46 (thanks to not being quit
sure where the drives would wind up based on the switch settings -- so I
set it high to be sure to clear the old ones).

So -- I did the following:

zpool replace -f fc-p c1t10d0 c1t40d0

(and waited for zpool status to tell me that the one drive was replaced
-- which took a little over an hour). "fc-p" was the name that I had
given the pool, and the c1t10d0 and such were the solaris way of
specifying a drive "controller, target (SCSI-ID), device (always zero
with modern drives), and a following 's' for slice, but this is not
specified to zfs or zpool.

Then after that,

zpool replace -f fc-p c1t11d0 c1t41d0
zpool replace -f fc-p c1t12d0 c1t42d0
zpool replace -f fc-p c1t13d0 c1t43d0
zpool replace -f fc-p c1t14d0 c1t44d0

which moved the active data from the old drives to the new ones, then I
issued the following commands

zpool add spare c1t45d0
zpool add spare c1t46d0
zpool delete spare c1t15d0
zpool delete spare c1t16d0

and the whole thing was migrated to the new drives without interrupting
service at all.

These drives were all 36 GB drives. I now have to try the same
trick moving another pool from 18 GB drives to more of the 36 GB drives.
I know that when there is a mix of sizes, zfs acts as though all drives
are no larger than the smallest one. What I don't know is whether once
the full transfer is made to 36 GB drives it will decide to expand to
the proper space for all 36 GB drives, or whether it will "remember" that
it was started on 18 GB drives and throw away half of each disk.
Needless to say -- I hope that it will expand. But I'm not going to do
this until tonight's backups run.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip
Right-click on a page and choose "Save as" from the menu.

Hmm ... not in the right-click menu on this system (Solaris 10
on UltraSPARC CPUs).

I was afraid of that, my menus are highly modified. It use
to be there but Opera has been messing around with the menus
a lot lately

Now you should have another dialog box with an item called
"Save as type".

O.K. I can find this in the "File" menu.

snip

Cool! nice thing about Opera, usually there is more than one
way to do something.

So it does -- with a nasty (for unix systems at least), as it
saved by the file name: "D-AND_D.COM web pages.mht" instead of the
preferred "D-AND_D.COM_web_pages.mht". (I don't use spaces in filenames
as they are a pain on the unix command line.) For that matter,
Microsoft has discovered in some of their business/commercial
applications that they are a pain on the command line in Windows, too. :-)

Agreed, I avoid spaces if at all possible. They cause a lot
of trouble in Windows too, contrary to what MS would have
you believe...

snip
So it is -- and a convenient thing to know about. Thanks!

Opera should be able to open this file and display it
just like the original web page.

O.K. I blew it away before trying this. :-)

Note I said should, there
are some quirks to that method/display in Opera too.

:-)

Now that you have figured out what mht is, I have a bunch of
old "What is it?" pages saved that way. If you want an old
one for comparison purposes let me know and I can stick one
or two on my web page for a few days. Give me an idea of
what time frame you would be looking for if so.

Winzip isn't going to do much on a system running Solaris 10 on
an UltraSPARC CPU. :-)

I knew that but I wanted you to know that some archiver
programs can un-pack mht. I thought 7-Zip could too but it
choked on one when I gave it a try.

I poked around a bit looking for something Unixish for this,
but didn't find anything via a quick search. I'm sure
someone has made a program for it though.

Any clues as to the others (which would handle the whole thing)?
I could, of course edit it into separate chunks and manually run

mimeencode -u

on it -- giving it my own choice of names if necessary.

This would work and the name is easy enough to read/spot in
the mht file. You wouldn't have to make it up. If the file
doesn't have any non-text characters it probably wouldn't be
encoded anyway.

snip
O.K. While I often have to use zoom to be able to read the
pages (and even then is difficult with one of the dark-blue on black
pages. :-)

Have you tried "Ctrl-g" (user style sheet) on such pages?
You can set Opera up with your own special css page to
override a lot of poor web page design crap and/or use its
own built in values via the preferences settings. If you
want to explore this a bit farther I can take a few deep
breaths and try to help. It can be a bit confusing/difficult
if you haven't messed around with it before. I think it is
the same as the Windows version but not sure...

Wasn't it you who was curious about how well zfs worked?

snip good zfs info

Not me, wrong geek I remember you discussing it though
and I think it was with Steve Ackman. See:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ac5f0371419be9

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-05, Leon Fisk wrote:
snip
Right-click on a page and choose "Save as" from the menu.

Hmm ... not in the right-click menu on this system (Solaris 10
on UltraSPARC CPUs).

I was afraid of that, my menus are highly modified. It use
to be there but Opera has been messing around with the menus
a lot lately

I wish that they had not removed the "close window" one, leaving
only the ^W to accomplish the task. Sometimes I am leaning back with
the keyboard out of my lap on a shelf, and just using the mouse, but I
have to reach up to the awkwardly-located keyboard from time to time to
get rid of a page -- especially when I am using my saved eBay searches.

Now you should have another dialog box with an item called
"Save as type".

O.K. I can find this in the "File" menu.

snip

Cool! nice thing about Opera, usually there is more than one
way to do something.

Just like unix. :-)

So it does -- with a nasty (for unix systems at least), as it
saved by the file name: "D-AND_D.COM web pages.mht" instead of the
preferred "D-AND_D.COM_web_pages.mht". (I don't use spaces in filenames
as they are a pain on the unix command line.) For that matter,
Microsoft has discovered in some of their business/commercial
applications that they are a pain on the command line in Windows, too. :-)

Agreed, I avoid spaces if at all possible. They cause a lot
of trouble in Windows too, contrary to what MS would have
you believe...

I do understand that they are having troubles with them in their
business systems -- when the spaces are breaking command-line operation
or scripts (batch files?).

But -- they would never admit it to their home users. :-)

[ ... ]

Now that you have figured out what mht is, I have a bunch of
old "What is it?" pages saved that way. If you want an old
one for comparison purposes let me know and I can stick one
or two on my web page for a few days. Give me an idea of
what time frame you would be looking for if so.

Well ... at this point, I think that the problem really was that
about that time I had turned on the fit-to-width option (which I found
while playing around in the latest 9.27 version). Since I have shared
home directories, when I went to the system with the older (9.26)
version, I still got the same settings. :-)

Winzip isn't going to do much on a system running Solaris 10 on
an UltraSPARC CPU. :-)

I knew that but I wanted you to know that some archiver
programs can un-pack mht. I thought 7-Zip could too but it
choked on one when I gave it a try.

O.K. That is one which I don't know.

I poked around a bit looking for something Unixish for this,
but didn't find anything via a quick search. I'm sure
someone has made a program for it though.

Certainly someone has.

Any clues as to the others (which would handle the whole thing)?
I could, of course edit it into separate chunks and manually run

mimeencode -u

on it -- giving it my own choice of names if necessary.

This would work and the name is easy enough to read/spot in
the mht file. You wouldn't have to make it up. If the file
doesn't have any non-text characters it probably wouldn't be
encoded anyway.

Good enough. But of course the images would have to be encoded
(though hopefully the file name would not be.)

snip
O.K. While I often have to use zoom to be able to read the
pages (and even then is difficult with one of the dark-blue on black
pages. :-)

Have you tried "Ctrl-g" (user style sheet) on such pages?

Hmm ... is *that* where that one went. I used to set up a set
of colors in one of the preferences menus, but I could not find how to
invoke it, as the "always use my colors" button had vanished.

You can set Opera up with your own special css page to
override a lot of poor web page design crap and/or use its
own built in values via the preferences settings. If you
want to explore this a bit farther I can take a few deep
breaths and try to help. It can be a bit confusing/difficult
if you haven't messed around with it before. I think it is
the same as the Windows version but not sure...

Well ... I used to use that on Mozilla -- but could not find how
to invoke it (until you mentioned the ^G). So -- I may be saved. :-)

Wasn't it you who was curious about how well zfs worked?

snip good zfs info

Not me, wrong geek I remember you discussing it though
and I think it was with Steve Ackman. See:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ac5f0371419be9

O.K. Hopefully he is following this discussion. Anyway, the
test with migrating to a new (larger) set of drives worked just as I had
hoped.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6 May 2008 05:47:01 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I wish that they had not removed the "close window" one, leaving
only the ^W to accomplish the task. Sometimes I am leaning back with
the keyboard out of my lap on a shelf, and just using the mouse, but I
have to reach up to the awkwardly-located keyboard from time to time to
get rid of a page -- especially when I am using my saved eBay searches.

You can create your own customized menu. Take a look at the
standard/default menu "STANDARD_MENU.INI" and just copy the
sections you want to modify. Put your modified version (with
a new name) in the Opera/profile/menu directory. Bring up
the preferences and point Opera to it. Leave sections you
don't want to change out of this file. Opera will use its
default settings (from the default directory) for all
sections not listed in your custom menu file.

Opera can also modify/create custom menus, keystrokes... via
the preferences editor. I'm old school and usually just
modify the ini files in a text editor. Here is a copy of the
menu mods I'm currently using. It should give you some
ideas:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/myo7_menu2.ini

Don't be too alarmed by the Opera 7 references. I made this
some time ago and haven't bothered changing the names. It is
being used in version 9.27 on Windows right now.

snip
Well ... at this point, I think that the problem really was that
about that time I had turned on the fit-to-width option (which I found
while playing around in the latest 9.27 version). Since I have shared
home directories, when I went to the system with the older (9.26)
version, I still got the same settings. :-)

Yes, if you had fit-to-width on it is very possible that was
causing the problem. It is a nice feature but has its
caveats, especially leaving it on all the time.

snip
O.K. While I often have to use zoom to be able to read the
pages (and even then is difficult with one of the dark-blue on black
pages. :-)

Have you tried "Ctrl-g" (user style sheet) on such pages?

Hmm ... is *that* where that one went. I used to set up a set
of colors in one of the preferences menus, but I could not find how to
invoke it, as the "always use my colors" button had vanished.

It is also on the View-Style drop down menu. This is where
you should be tinkering to make crappy web pages readable.

This little bookmarklet can do wonders too. Save it as a
bookmark in Opera and then try clicking on it while viewing
a web page with less than desirable colors and font sizes.
It runs as javascript (so you have to have js enabled) see
if it helps some. This is all on one line, no returns or
spaces:

javascript:for(i=0;idocument.getElementsByTagName ('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagNam e('*')[i].style.fontSize='10pt');void(document.body.style.b ackground='#e3e3e3')

You can pretty much customize Opera's menus, keyboard,
skins, toolbar... to anything you want it to be.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-06, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 6 May 2008 05:47:01 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I wish that they had not removed the "close window" one, leaving
only the ^W to accomplish the task. Sometimes I am leaning back with
the keyboard out of my lap on a shelf, and just using the mouse, but I
have to reach up to the awkwardly-located keyboard from time to time to
get rid of a page -- especially when I am using my saved eBay searches.

You can create your own customized menu. Take a look at the
standard/default menu "STANDARD_MENU.INI" and just copy the
sections you want to modify. Put your modified version (with
a new name) in the Opera/profile/menu directory. Bring up
the preferences and point Opera to it. Leave sections you
don't want to change out of this file. Opera will use its
default settings (from the default directory) for all
sections not listed in your custom menu file.

Aha! Nice trick. (though the default turns out to be in lower
case in my system. I guess a difference between the Windows and the
unix versions.

Any idea what the numbers mean in entries like this:

Item, 44004 = Mark as read

and how to derive the proper number for a new addition?

Opera can also modify/create custom menus, keystrokes... via
the preferences editor. I'm old school and usually just
modify the ini files in a text editor. Here is a copy of the
menu mods I'm currently using. It should give you some
ideas:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/myo7_menu2.ini

Got it! Thanks!

Don't be too alarmed by the Opera 7 references. I made this
some time ago and haven't bothered changing the names. It is
being used in version 9.27 on Windows right now.

Good enough. This also suggests that I don't need to do too
much maintenance when I upgrade Opera each time?

snip
Well ... at this point, I think that the problem really was that
about that time I had turned on the fit-to-width option (which I found
while playing around in the latest 9.27 version). Since I have shared
home directories, when I went to the system with the older (9.26)
version, I still got the same settings. :-)

Yes, if you had fit-to-width on it is very possible that was
causing the problem. It is a nice feature but has its
caveats, especially leaving it on all the time.

As I am learning.

snip
O.K. While I often have to use zoom to be able to read the
pages (and even then is difficult with one of the dark-blue on black
pages. :-)

Have you tried "Ctrl-g" (user style sheet) on such pages?

Hmm ... is *that* where that one went. I used to set up a set
of colors in one of the preferences menus, but I could not find how to
invoke it, as the "always use my colors" button had vanished.

It is also on the View-Style drop down menu. This is where
you should be tinkering to make crappy web pages readable.

Good. Hmm ... I find two major entries -- Author mode and User
mode, and then a third entry to manage modes, plus a bunch of things
below which need to be explored.
[i]
This little bookmarklet can do wonders too. Save it as a
bookmark in Opera and then try clicking on it while viewing
a web page with less than desirable colors and font sizes.
It runs as javascript (so you have to have js enabled) see
if it helps some. This is all on one line, no returns or
spaces:

javascript:for(i=0;idocument.getElementsByTagName ('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagNam e('*').style.fontSize='10pt');void(document.body.style.b ackground='#e3e3e3')

Hmm ... how do I get that into the bookmarks?

You can pretty much customize Opera's menus, keyboard,
skins, toolbar... to anything you want it to be.

Thanks! I've been too busy using it to try learning how to
customize it.

Thanks again,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 May 2008 01:41:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
Any idea what the numbers mean in entries like this:

Item, 44004 = Mark as read

and how to derive the proper number for a new addition?

Those come from the language file, namely "English.lng".
Mine is located in the main Opera directory. It is actually
a text file and you can just search in it for the number or
some key words. Sometimes there are similar entries, so if
you are searching via name check for more entries.

If you want you can make a small custom language file and
stick it in your Profile directory. This will override
entries in the other file. Mine (custom in profile directory
with same name) looks like this:

===
; Opera language file version 2.0
; Copyright © 1995-2004 Opera Software ASA. All rights
reserved.
; Created on 2004-12-29 08:00
; Lines starting with ; (like this) are comments and need
not be translated
; Custom modifications for my own preferences

[Info]
Language="en"
; The string below is the language name in its own language
LanguageName="My English"
Charset="iso-8859-1"
Build.Win=8321
Version.Win=9.00
DB.version=369

[Translation]

-512239998="Fit to width"
-207624035="Xfr"
-1740944157="Xfr"
-191591729="Other:"
-1598715159="Xfr"
1601122237="Xfr"
2554023139="Xfr"
2696252137="Xfr"
359283713="Maximize"
4087343261="Xfr"
===

I renamed some stuff to shorter entries or more to my
liking. Watch the word wrap on the first few lines that are
commented if you try to use it. There should be just five
lines before the first section. None of the section lines
wrapped. Or take a look at the default one in the Opera
directory. I just snipped and used the leading portion with
a few minor changes.

snip
Good enough. This also suggests that I don't need to do too
much maintenance when I upgrade Opera each time?

It depends on how much Opera has changed. Your file won't be
overwritten, but it may be lacking some new features.
Somethings may quit working too. When I feel ambitious I
will compare the default ini file to the custom sections in
mine and see if something was added/changed that may be of
interest.

snip
Good. Hmm ... I find two major entries -- Author mode and User
mode, and then a third entry to manage modes, plus a bunch of things
below which need to be explored.

User mode is what can be helpful for poorly coded pages. The
Manage Modes sets up how Opera will apply these modes. The
other entries link to pre-built css sheets that can turned
on/off and can sometimes be helpful. They are additive, you
can have more than one active at a time. My modes are setup
such that they (the other entries) are only applied while in
User mode.

The Manage Modes can be a bit confusing. Let me know if it
gives you grief figuring it out. A lot of Opera users get
confused by it.
[i]
This little bookmarklet can do wonders too. Save it as a
bookmark in Opera and then try clicking on it while viewing
a web page with less than desirable colors and font sizes.
It runs as javascript (so you have to have js enabled) see
if it helps some. This is all on one line, no returns or
spaces:

javascript:for(i=0;idocument.getElementsByTagNam e('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagNa me('*').style.fontSize='10pt');void(document.body.style.b ackground='#e3e3e3')

Hmm ... how do I get that into the bookmarks?

Create a new bookmark with a name that you like and
copy/past it into the url field. I believe Ctrl-Alt-b will
bring up the edit bookmarks dialog or it may be at the top
of the drop down menu. Not sure about the latter because I
know I have modified that menu to my taste.

You will have to enable javascript too for it to work. I
know you don't like to have it enabled from reading other
posts. I keep it enabled most of time now (js) and only turn
it off when it cause a big headache on some pages. Opera
takes security pretty seriously and I have never had any
problems so far using Opera. The key F12 may bring up a
small settings menu where you can quickly change some of
these settings.

Thanks! I've been too busy using it to try learning how to
customize it.

Lucky you! I'm a hopeless tweaker & tinkerer

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-07, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 7 May 2008 01:41:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
Any idea what the numbers mean in entries like this:

Item, 44004 = Mark as read

and how to derive the proper number for a new addition?

Those come from the language file, namely "English.lng".
Mine is located in the main Opera directory. It is actually
a text file and you can just search in it for the number or
some key words. Sometimes there are similar entries, so if
you are searching via name check for more entries.

Aha! I thought that they should represent text somehow.

If you want you can make a small custom language file and
stick it in your Profile directory. This will override
entries in the other file. Mine (custom in profile directory
with same name) looks like this:

[ ... ]

I renamed some stuff to shorter entries or more to my
liking. Watch the word wrap on the first few lines that are
commented if you try to use it.

I had already spotted that. I'm used to seeing when comments
are wrapped, even though this used ':' instead of '#' as the comment
delimiter. :-)

There should be just five
lines before the first section. None of the section lines
wrapped. Or take a look at the default one in the Opera
directory. I just snipped and used the leading portion with
a few minor changes.

This is good enough to tell me what to do. If I want to create
my own numbers, I guess that I'll need to write a script to extract all
of the existing numbers, sort them, and then look for usable gaps. :-)

Or were yours the negative numbers there?

snip
Good enough. This also suggests that I don't need to do too
much maintenance when I upgrade Opera each time?

It depends on how much Opera has changed. Your file won't be
overwritten, but it may be lacking some new features.
Somethings may quit working too. When I feel ambitious I
will compare the default ini file to the custom sections in
mine and see if something was added/changed that may be of
interest.

O.K.

snip
Good. Hmm ... I find two major entries -- Author mode and User
mode, and then a third entry to manage modes, plus a bunch of things
below which need to be explored.

User mode is what can be helpful for poorly coded pages. The
Manage Modes sets up how Opera will apply these modes. The
other entries link to pre-built css sheets that can turned
on/off and can sometimes be helpful. They are additive, you
can have more than one active at a time. My modes are setup
such that they (the other entries) are only applied while in
User mode.

The Manage Modes can be a bit confusing. Let me know if it
gives you grief figuring it out. A lot of Opera users get
confused by it.

When I get time to attack it.
[i]
This little bookmarklet can do wonders too. Save it as a
bookmark in Opera and then try clicking on it while viewing
a web page with less than desirable colors and font sizes.
It runs as javascript (so you have to have js enabled) see
if it helps some. This is all on one line, no returns or
spaces:

javascript:for(i=0;idocument.getElementsByTagNa me('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagN ame('*').style.fontSize='10pt');void(document.body.style.b ackground='#e3e3e3')

Hmm ... how do I get that into the bookmarks?

Create a new bookmark with a name that you like and
copy/past it into the url field. I believe Ctrl-Alt-b will
bring up the edit bookmarks dialog or it may be at the top
of the drop down menu. Not sure about the latter because I
know I have modified that menu to my taste.

Got it. Had to edit out the space introduced by slrn where it
folded the line. (Hmm ... perhaps I should turn that feature off, since
it will also give problems with the xclip data. I *could* pipe the
output through sed as well to get rid of the spaces -- except for the
nasty practice of putting spaces in URLs. :-)

You will have to enable javascript too for it to work. I
know you don't like to have it enabled from reading other
posts. I keep it enabled most of time now (js) and only turn
it off when it cause a big headache on some pages. Opera
takes security pretty seriously and I have never had any
problems so far using Opera. The key F12 may bring up a
small settings menu where you can quickly change some of
these settings.

That -- and also setting preferences on a per site basis, which
is what I have been having to do a lot of recently.

Thanks! I've been too busy using it to try learning how to
customize it.

Lucky you! I'm a hopeless tweaker & tinkerer

Well -- I do that too -- but had not focused on the web browser.
I just built up a slightly older version of smartmontools and installed
it in my main server to (among other things) find out how many hours of
use were already on the FC disks which I built into two zfs pools
recently. They all looked new -- not even any dust in the housings
where the air is pumped through as long as it is running. Apparently,
they were in a *very* clean machine room, because some of them are
showing over 50000 hours. Actually, I wonder whether these were
*started* at 50,000 hours for some reason. Here is one of them:

number of hours powered up = 50052.38

And most of the others are in the very low 50k range as well.

Now -- I have to figure out why the latest version of
smartmontools blows up in the compile phase. (And, whether there are
enough new features to make it worth while with a version number
increase from 5.33 to 5.38. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 May 2008 02:48:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I had already spotted that. I'm used to seeing when comments
are wrapped, even though this used ':' instead of '#' as the comment
delimiter. :-)

I sure you meant ";"

snip
This is good enough to tell me what to do. If I want to create
my own numbers, I guess that I'll need to write a script to extract all
of the existing numbers, sort them, and then look for usable gaps. :-)

Or were yours the negative numbers there?

No, the negative numbers are from Opera. They are valid and
are being used to override the default entry. By changing
their "Transfer" to "Xfer" it takes up less space (width) in
my menus and tabs.

You don't have to use the numbers either. Simply adding your
own text directly to the entry works fine too. Like this:

Item, "Bookmark link..."= Add link to bookmarks

The "Bookmark link..." portion is what will display in the
menu. The "Add link to bookmarks" portion is the command
Opera will execute. The following example uses the toggle
entry:

Item, 67351 = Lock panel | Unlock panel

Selecting this menu item toggles between the two entries.
You can also chain some commands together like this:

Item, 53027 = Close page & Switch to next page

This will close the current page and the switch to the next
page or open tab. Not all combinations will work together
though. Don't be surprised if you try this and the second
one doesn't work.

You can invoke another program too like this:

[Link Popup Menu]

Item, "Wget-File Spec" = Copy link & Execute program,
"f:\Progra~1\Wget\Wget-Spec.cmd","%c"

Watch the word wrap again. This will copy the link you right
clicked on and then invoke Wget with the copied link as an
argument. "%l" is for link, I lost my list for the rest of
them. There are around five different variables you can use
here. Put the command in the proper section too.

snip
When I get time to attack it.

I can understand the time problem

snip
Well -- I do that too -- but had not focused on the web browser.
I just built up a slightly older version of smartmontools and installed
it in my main server to (among other things) find out how many hours of
use were already on the FC disks which I built into two zfs pools
recently. They all looked new -- not even any dust in the housings
where the air is pumped through as long as it is running. Apparently,
they were in a *very* clean machine room, because some of them are
showing over 50000 hours...

snip interesting info
That is interesting. I've been avoiding Linux because I
would lose too much of my life coming up to speed with it...

My latest time sink has been messing around with free DjVu
programs. Found some nice metal working books in that format
and wanted to find a better way to view them...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-08, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 8 May 2008 02:48:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I had already spotted that. I'm used to seeing when comments
are wrapped, even though this used ':' instead of '#' as the comment
delimiter. :-)

I sure you meant ";"

Sort of -- I did not remember which it was (and may not have
even been able to tell. The two sumbols look very similar unless I move
up closer to the screen -- and since I was not needing to type into the
file in question yet, I didn't bother doing that.

snip
This is good enough to tell me what to do. If I want to create
my own numbers, I guess that I'll need to write a script to extract all
of the existing numbers, sort them, and then look for usable gaps. :-)

Or were yours the negative numbers there?

No, the negative numbers are from Opera. They are valid and
are being used to override the default entry. By changing
their "Transfer" to "Xfer" it takes up less space (width) in
my menus and tabs.

O.K. Is there an easy way to translate the numbers into the
text to see what is potentially useful in other places? Those numbers
look large enough so they may simply be offsets from the beginning of
some file. (Not likely to be in the program code itself I suspect,
since that would change from platform to platform.

You don't have to use the numbers either. Simply adding your
own text directly to the entry works fine too. Like this:

Item, "Bookmark link..."= Add link to bookmarks

The "Bookmark link..." portion is what will display in the
menu. The "Add link to bookmarks" portion is the command
Opera will execute. The following example uses the toggle
entry:

Item, 67351 = Lock panel | Unlock panel

Selecting this menu item toggles between the two entries.
You can also chain some commands together like this:

Item, 53027 = Close page & Switch to next page

This will close the current page and the switch to the next
page or open tab. Not all combinations will work together
though. Don't be surprised if you try this and the second
one doesn't work.

Interesting though.

BTW -- I verified that the "fit to width" option was the source
of the observed problem in the puzzles.

You can invoke another program too like this:

[Link Popup Menu]

Item, "Wget-File Spec" = Copy link & Execute program,
"f:\Progra~1\Wget\Wget-Spec.cmd","%c"

Watch the word wrap again. This will copy the link you right
clicked on and then invoke Wget with the copied link as an
argument. "%l" is for link, I lost my list for the rest of
them. There are around five different variables you can use
here. Put the command in the proper section too.

Nice!

snip
When I get time to attack it.

I can understand the time problem

snip
Well -- I do that too -- but had not focused on the web browser.
I just built up a slightly older version of smartmontools and installed
it in my main server to (among other things) find out how many hours of
use were already on the FC disks which I built into two zfs pools
recently. They all looked new -- not even any dust in the housings
where the air is pumped through as long as it is running. Apparently,
they were in a *very* clean machine room, because some of them are
showing over 50000 hours...

snip interesting info
That is interesting. I've been avoiding Linux because I
would lose too much of my life coming up to speed with it...

O.K. This was not linux, but rather Sun's Solaris 10, which is
free for the download -- but you need to download five CD-ROM sized
files to build the single .iso file for the install DVD, and two more to
make the "Software Companion" DVD-ROM. (The latter is a bunch of net
source software ported to Solaris by someone working with Sun. I also
use OpenBSD (in both Sun UltraSPARC platforms and Intel platforms) for
various purposes. I've played with linux, but tend to not use it for
anything serious -- except perhaps to host the EMC program for
controlling the Bridgeport in place of the original LSI-11 system which
has serious problems.

But essentially -- learn one unix flavor (which includes the
linux and the BSD variants) and most of what you need to know as a user
in the others will be portable from system to system. The differences
are more extreme in the administration side. Since SunOs used to be BSD
based, I was already familiar with that, and had had to learn the SysV
base to Sun's Solaris when they made the changeover a few years before I
retired.

My latest time sink has been messing around with free DjVu
programs. Found some nice metal working books in that format
and wanted to find a better way to view them...

There are nice metal working books there and elsewhere.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 May 2008 22:43:56 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I sure you meant ";"

Sort of -- I did not remember which it was (and may not have
even been able to tell. The two sumbols look very similar unless I move
up closer to the screen -- and since I was not needing to type into the
file in question yet, I didn't bother doing that.

My eyes kinda suck too, very near sighted. A big problem
when similar items are assumed to be something that they are
not

snip
O.K. Is there an easy way to translate the numbers into the
text to see what is potentially useful in other places? Those numbers
look large enough so they may simply be offsets from the beginning of
some file. (Not likely to be in the program code itself I suspect,
since that would change from platform to platform.

I just do text searches in the English.lng file. If you are
trying to copy something I would use the number entry.
Otherwise for special/odd new things of your own creation,
just quote the text you want to see displayed in the menu. I
suspect if you look at a different language file you will
find the same number used with that languages text entry to
display in the menu. I'm sure you figured that part out.

Study the default files for other actions that may be
useful. Opera has also commented out some old actions in the
default files. Sometimes all you have to do is remove the
comment ( and your old action that went missing will be
back.

snip
BTW -- I verified that the "fit to width" option was the source
of the observed problem in the puzzles.

Cool, always nice to know what is causing a "puzzling"
problem.

snip
But essentially -- learn one unix flavor (which includes the
linux and the BSD variants) and most of what you need to know as a user
in the others will be portable from system to system...

snip
I didn't know that for fact but strongly suspected it. I
already use a lot of Unixish tools that have been ported to
Windows. Still... I'll probably wait till I have no choice
but to learn how to run a Unix/Linux system. I just don't
have that kind of ambition anymore unless I'm really pushed
into it...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b