Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? Set 230

On 2008-05-05, Leon Fisk wrote:
snip
Right-click on a page and choose "Save as" from the menu.

Hmm ... not in the right-click menu on this system (Solaris 10
on UltraSPARC CPUs).

I was afraid of that, my menus are highly modified. It use
to be there but Opera has been messing around with the menus
a lot lately

I wish that they had not removed the "close window" one, leaving
only the ^W to accomplish the task. Sometimes I am leaning back with
the keyboard out of my lap on a shelf, and just using the mouse, but I
have to reach up to the awkwardly-located keyboard from time to time to
get rid of a page -- especially when I am using my saved eBay searches.

Now you should have another dialog box with an item called
"Save as type".

O.K. I can find this in the "File" menu.

snip

Cool! nice thing about Opera, usually there is more than one
way to do something.

Just like unix. :-)

So it does -- with a nasty (for unix systems at least), as it
saved by the file name: "D-AND_D.COM web pages.mht" instead of the
preferred "D-AND_D.COM_web_pages.mht". (I don't use spaces in filenames
as they are a pain on the unix command line.) For that matter,
Microsoft has discovered in some of their business/commercial
applications that they are a pain on the command line in Windows, too. :-)

Agreed, I avoid spaces if at all possible. They cause a lot
of trouble in Windows too, contrary to what MS would have
you believe...

I do understand that they are having troubles with them in their
business systems -- when the spaces are breaking command-line operation
or scripts (batch files?).

But -- they would never admit it to their home users. :-)

[ ... ]

Now that you have figured out what mht is, I have a bunch of
old "What is it?" pages saved that way. If you want an old
one for comparison purposes let me know and I can stick one
or two on my web page for a few days. Give me an idea of
what time frame you would be looking for if so.

Well ... at this point, I think that the problem really was that
about that time I had turned on the fit-to-width option (which I found
while playing around in the latest 9.27 version). Since I have shared
home directories, when I went to the system with the older (9.26)
version, I still got the same settings. :-)

Winzip isn't going to do much on a system running Solaris 10 on
an UltraSPARC CPU. :-)

I knew that but I wanted you to know that some archiver
programs can un-pack mht. I thought 7-Zip could too but it
choked on one when I gave it a try.

O.K. That is one which I don't know.

I poked around a bit looking for something Unixish for this,
but didn't find anything via a quick search. I'm sure
someone has made a program for it though.

Certainly someone has.

Any clues as to the others (which would handle the whole thing)?
I could, of course edit it into separate chunks and manually run

mimeencode -u

on it -- giving it my own choice of names if necessary.

This would work and the name is easy enough to read/spot in
the mht file. You wouldn't have to make it up. If the file
doesn't have any non-text characters it probably wouldn't be
encoded anyway.

Good enough. But of course the images would have to be encoded
(though hopefully the file name would not be.)

snip
O.K. While I often have to use zoom to be able to read the
pages (and even then is difficult with one of the dark-blue on black
pages. :-)

Have you tried "Ctrl-g" (user style sheet) on such pages?

Hmm ... is *that* where that one went. I used to set up a set
of colors in one of the preferences menus, but I could not find how to
invoke it, as the "always use my colors" button had vanished.

You can set Opera up with your own special css page to
override a lot of poor web page design crap and/or use its
own built in values via the preferences settings. If you
want to explore this a bit farther I can take a few deep
breaths and try to help. It can be a bit confusing/difficult
if you haven't messed around with it before. I think it is
the same as the Windows version but not sure...

Well ... I used to use that on Mozilla -- but could not find how
to invoke it (until you mentioned the ^G). So -- I may be saved. :-)

Wasn't it you who was curious about how well zfs worked?

snip good zfs info

Not me, wrong geek I remember you discussing it though
and I think it was with Steve Ackman. See:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ac5f0371419be9

O.K. Hopefully he is following this discussion. Anyway, the
test with migrating to a new (larger) set of drives worked just as I had
hoped.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564