Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default What is it? Set 230

On 6 May 2008 05:47:01 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I wish that they had not removed the "close window" one, leaving
only the ^W to accomplish the task. Sometimes I am leaning back with
the keyboard out of my lap on a shelf, and just using the mouse, but I
have to reach up to the awkwardly-located keyboard from time to time to
get rid of a page -- especially when I am using my saved eBay searches.

You can create your own customized menu. Take a look at the
standard/default menu "STANDARD_MENU.INI" and just copy the
sections you want to modify. Put your modified version (with
a new name) in the Opera/profile/menu directory. Bring up
the preferences and point Opera to it. Leave sections you
don't want to change out of this file. Opera will use its
default settings (from the default directory) for all
sections not listed in your custom menu file.

Opera can also modify/create custom menus, keystrokes... via
the preferences editor. I'm old school and usually just
modify the ini files in a text editor. Here is a copy of the
menu mods I'm currently using. It should give you some
ideas:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/myo7_menu2.ini

Don't be too alarmed by the Opera 7 references. I made this
some time ago and haven't bothered changing the names. It is
being used in version 9.27 on Windows right now.

snip
Well ... at this point, I think that the problem really was that
about that time I had turned on the fit-to-width option (which I found
while playing around in the latest 9.27 version). Since I have shared
home directories, when I went to the system with the older (9.26)
version, I still got the same settings. :-)

Yes, if you had fit-to-width on it is very possible that was
causing the problem. It is a nice feature but has its
caveats, especially leaving it on all the time.

snip
O.K. While I often have to use zoom to be able to read the
pages (and even then is difficult with one of the dark-blue on black
pages. :-)

Have you tried "Ctrl-g" (user style sheet) on such pages?

Hmm ... is *that* where that one went. I used to set up a set
of colors in one of the preferences menus, but I could not find how to
invoke it, as the "always use my colors" button had vanished.

It is also on the View-Style drop down menu. This is where
you should be tinkering to make crappy web pages readable.

This little bookmarklet can do wonders too. Save it as a
bookmark in Opera and then try clicking on it while viewing
a web page with less than desirable colors and font sizes.
It runs as javascript (so you have to have js enabled) see
if it helps some. This is all on one line, no returns or
spaces:

javascript:for(i=0;idocument.getElementsByTagName ('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagNam e('*')[i].style.fontSize='10pt');void(document.body.style.b ackground='#e3e3e3')

You can pretty much customize Opera's menus, keyboard,
skins, toolbar... to anything you want it to be.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b