Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? Set 230

On 2008-05-08, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 8 May 2008 02:48:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I had already spotted that. I'm used to seeing when comments
are wrapped, even though this used ':' instead of '#' as the comment
delimiter. :-)

I sure you meant ";"

Sort of -- I did not remember which it was (and may not have
even been able to tell. The two sumbols look very similar unless I move
up closer to the screen -- and since I was not needing to type into the
file in question yet, I didn't bother doing that.

snip
This is good enough to tell me what to do. If I want to create
my own numbers, I guess that I'll need to write a script to extract all
of the existing numbers, sort them, and then look for usable gaps. :-)

Or were yours the negative numbers there?

No, the negative numbers are from Opera. They are valid and
are being used to override the default entry. By changing
their "Transfer" to "Xfer" it takes up less space (width) in
my menus and tabs.

O.K. Is there an easy way to translate the numbers into the
text to see what is potentially useful in other places? Those numbers
look large enough so they may simply be offsets from the beginning of
some file. (Not likely to be in the program code itself I suspect,
since that would change from platform to platform.

You don't have to use the numbers either. Simply adding your
own text directly to the entry works fine too. Like this:

Item, "Bookmark link..."= Add link to bookmarks

The "Bookmark link..." portion is what will display in the
menu. The "Add link to bookmarks" portion is the command
Opera will execute. The following example uses the toggle
entry:

Item, 67351 = Lock panel | Unlock panel

Selecting this menu item toggles between the two entries.
You can also chain some commands together like this:

Item, 53027 = Close page & Switch to next page

This will close the current page and the switch to the next
page or open tab. Not all combinations will work together
though. Don't be surprised if you try this and the second
one doesn't work.

Interesting though.

BTW -- I verified that the "fit to width" option was the source
of the observed problem in the puzzles.

You can invoke another program too like this:

[Link Popup Menu]

Item, "Wget-File Spec" = Copy link & Execute program,
"f:\Progra~1\Wget\Wget-Spec.cmd","%c"

Watch the word wrap again. This will copy the link you right
clicked on and then invoke Wget with the copied link as an
argument. "%l" is for link, I lost my list for the rest of
them. There are around five different variables you can use
here. Put the command in the proper section too.

Nice!

snip
When I get time to attack it.

I can understand the time problem

snip
Well -- I do that too -- but had not focused on the web browser.
I just built up a slightly older version of smartmontools and installed
it in my main server to (among other things) find out how many hours of
use were already on the FC disks which I built into two zfs pools
recently. They all looked new -- not even any dust in the housings
where the air is pumped through as long as it is running. Apparently,
they were in a *very* clean machine room, because some of them are
showing over 50000 hours...

snip interesting info
That is interesting. I've been avoiding Linux because I
would lose too much of my life coming up to speed with it...

O.K. This was not linux, but rather Sun's Solaris 10, which is
free for the download -- but you need to download five CD-ROM sized
files to build the single .iso file for the install DVD, and two more to
make the "Software Companion" DVD-ROM. (The latter is a bunch of net
source software ported to Solaris by someone working with Sun. I also
use OpenBSD (in both Sun UltraSPARC platforms and Intel platforms) for
various purposes. I've played with linux, but tend to not use it for
anything serious -- except perhaps to host the EMC program for
controlling the Bridgeport in place of the original LSI-11 system which
has serious problems.

But essentially -- learn one unix flavor (which includes the
linux and the BSD variants) and most of what you need to know as a user
in the others will be portable from system to system. The differences
are more extreme in the administration side. Since SunOs used to be BSD
based, I was already familiar with that, and had had to learn the SysV
base to Sun's Solaris when they made the changeover a few years before I
retired.

My latest time sink has been messing around with free DjVu
programs. Found some nice metal working books in that format
and wanted to find a better way to view them...

There are nice metal working books there and elsewhere.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564