Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? Set 230

On 2008-05-07, Leon Fisk wrote:
On 7 May 2008 01:41:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
Any idea what the numbers mean in entries like this:

Item, 44004 = Mark as read

and how to derive the proper number for a new addition?

Those come from the language file, namely "English.lng".
Mine is located in the main Opera directory. It is actually
a text file and you can just search in it for the number or
some key words. Sometimes there are similar entries, so if
you are searching via name check for more entries.

Aha! I thought that they should represent text somehow.

If you want you can make a small custom language file and
stick it in your Profile directory. This will override
entries in the other file. Mine (custom in profile directory
with same name) looks like this:

[ ... ]

I renamed some stuff to shorter entries or more to my
liking. Watch the word wrap on the first few lines that are
commented if you try to use it.

I had already spotted that. I'm used to seeing when comments
are wrapped, even though this used ':' instead of '#' as the comment
delimiter. :-)

There should be just five
lines before the first section. None of the section lines
wrapped. Or take a look at the default one in the Opera
directory. I just snipped and used the leading portion with
a few minor changes.

This is good enough to tell me what to do. If I want to create
my own numbers, I guess that I'll need to write a script to extract all
of the existing numbers, sort them, and then look for usable gaps. :-)

Or were yours the negative numbers there?

snip
Good enough. This also suggests that I don't need to do too
much maintenance when I upgrade Opera each time?

It depends on how much Opera has changed. Your file won't be
overwritten, but it may be lacking some new features.
Somethings may quit working too. When I feel ambitious I
will compare the default ini file to the custom sections in
mine and see if something was added/changed that may be of
interest.

O.K.

snip
Good. Hmm ... I find two major entries -- Author mode and User
mode, and then a third entry to manage modes, plus a bunch of things
below which need to be explored.

User mode is what can be helpful for poorly coded pages. The
Manage Modes sets up how Opera will apply these modes. The
other entries link to pre-built css sheets that can turned
on/off and can sometimes be helpful. They are additive, you
can have more than one active at a time. My modes are setup
such that they (the other entries) are only applied while in
User mode.

The Manage Modes can be a bit confusing. Let me know if it
gives you grief figuring it out. A lot of Opera users get
confused by it.

When I get time to attack it.
[i]
This little bookmarklet can do wonders too. Save it as a
bookmark in Opera and then try clicking on it while viewing
a web page with less than desirable colors and font sizes.
It runs as javascript (so you have to have js enabled) see
if it helps some. This is all on one line, no returns or
spaces:

javascript:for(i=0;idocument.getElementsByTagNa me('*').length;i++)void(document.getElementsByTagN ame('*').style.fontSize='10pt');void(document.body.style.b ackground='#e3e3e3')

Hmm ... how do I get that into the bookmarks?

Create a new bookmark with a name that you like and
copy/past it into the url field. I believe Ctrl-Alt-b will
bring up the edit bookmarks dialog or it may be at the top
of the drop down menu. Not sure about the latter because I
know I have modified that menu to my taste.

Got it. Had to edit out the space introduced by slrn where it
folded the line. (Hmm ... perhaps I should turn that feature off, since
it will also give problems with the xclip data. I *could* pipe the
output through sed as well to get rid of the spaces -- except for the
nasty practice of putting spaces in URLs. :-)

You will have to enable javascript too for it to work. I
know you don't like to have it enabled from reading other
posts. I keep it enabled most of time now (js) and only turn
it off when it cause a big headache on some pages. Opera
takes security pretty seriously and I have never had any
problems so far using Opera. The key F12 may bring up a
small settings menu where you can quickly change some of
these settings.

That -- and also setting preferences on a per site basis, which
is what I have been having to do a lot of recently.

Thanks! I've been too busy using it to try learning how to
customize it.

Lucky you! I'm a hopeless tweaker & tinkerer

Well -- I do that too -- but had not focused on the web browser.
I just built up a slightly older version of smartmontools and installed
it in my main server to (among other things) find out how many hours of
use were already on the FC disks which I built into two zfs pools
recently. They all looked new -- not even any dust in the housings
where the air is pumped through as long as it is running. Apparently,
they were in a *very* clean machine room, because some of them are
showing over 50000 hours. Actually, I wonder whether these were
*started* at 50,000 hours for some reason. Here is one of them:

number of hours powered up = 50052.38

And most of the others are in the very low 50k range as well.

Now -- I have to figure out why the latest version of
smartmontools blows up in the compile phase. (And, whether there are
enough new features to make it worth while with a version number
increase from 5.33 to 5.38. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564