Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Snap-On Paint

The other day, I bought this Snap-On cabinet from a local craigslist
seller.

The cabinet is about 60" tall, has two separate parts (top and
bottom), casters, etc.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snap-On-Cabinet.jpg

I paid $250 for it.

Anyway, I will keep it for myself and want to repaint it. I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:44:20 -0500, Ignoramus10026
wrote:

The other day, I bought this Snap-On cabinet from a local craigslist
seller.

The cabinet is about 60" tall, has two separate parts (top and
bottom), casters, etc.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snap-On-Cabinet.jpg

I paid $250 for it.

Anyway, I will keep it for myself and want to repaint it. I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

You can order it from the truck or go to snapon.com

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The other day, I bought this Snap-On cabinet from a local craigslist
seller.

The cabinet is about 60" tall, has two separate parts (top and
bottom), casters, etc.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snap-On-Cabinet.jpg

I paid $250 for it.

Anyway, I will keep it for myself and want to repaint it. I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

You can order it from the truck or go to snapon.com

I went to snapon.com

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

but there is no red paint....

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

PPG Ditzler Number 73504

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-30, Up North wrote:

"Ignoramus10026" wrote in message
The other day, I bought this Snap-On cabinet from a local craigslist
seller.

The cabinet is about 60" tall, has two separate parts (top and
bottom), casters, etc.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snap-On-Cabinet.jpg

I paid $250 for it.

Anyway, I will keep it for myself and want to repaint it. I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

PPG Ditzler Number 73504

Thanks. That's awesome. Snapon's number for it is REP12A. I will try
to find a rep and just buy it.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:44:20 -0500, Ignoramus10026
wrote:
snip
I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

snip
=======
Try a large autobody supply store. In many cases they will have
the formulation for insudtrial colors as well as automotive ones.
Unless you are experenced with a spray gun and have a booth, you
might want to consider contacting a autobody shop to see what
they would charge to shoot the boxes.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
snip
I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

snip
=======
Try a large autobody supply store. In many cases they will have
the formulation for insudtrial colors as well as automotive ones.
Unless you are experenced with a spray gun and have a booth, you
might want to consider contacting a autobody shop to see what
they would charge to shoot the boxes.

Thanks. I just talked to one. I would have to bring it in to get an
estimate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:30:57 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10026 quickly quoth:

http://www.google.com/search?q=snap-on+red+paint

--
As a curmudgeon, I grok that in its entirety.
--LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Ignoramus10026 wrote in article
. ..
The other day, I bought this Snap-On cabinet from a local craigslist
seller.

The cabinet is about 60" tall, has two separate parts (top and
bottom), casters, etc.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snap-On-Cabinet.jpg

I paid $250 for it.

Anyway, I will keep it for myself and want to repaint it. I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

NAPA has an extensive list of corporate color formulae.....UPS, Fed-Ex,
Ryder, U-Haul, Snap-On, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-01, * wrote:

Ignoramus10026 wrote in article
.. .
The other day, I bought this Snap-On cabinet from a local craigslist
seller.

The cabinet is about 60" tall, has two separate parts (top and
bottom), casters, etc.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snap-On-Cabinet.jpg

I paid $250 for it.

Anyway, I will keep it for myself and want to repaint it. I would like
to know where I can find a matching paint.

NAPA has an extensive list of corporate color formulae.....UPS, Fed-Ex,
Ryder, U-Haul, Snap-On, etc.

NAPA seems like the easiest place to go to.

I will take a piece of the cabinet with me and check them out.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-01, * wrote:

[...]

Iggy
Just call them with the number I gave you and they will cross it to their
Martin Senour paint or call an Auto Value store as they sell PPG.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-05-01, Up North wrote:
Iggy
Just call them with the number I gave you and they will cross it to their
Martin Senour paint or call an Auto Value store as they sell PPG.
Steve

They are not too far from me, I will stop by there.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FOLLOWUP -- Snap-On Paint

I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 May 2008 10:03:57 -0500, Ignoramus23760
wrote:

I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

If you are going to paint pretty much the whole thing why
not just use a color you like and is easy to get. I don't
see any advantage to matching the Snap-On color unless you
are doing touch up (shrug).

I like common colors that are easy to match and find. I use
a lot of gloss black and white

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

If you are going to paint pretty much the whole thing why
not just use a color you like and is easy to get. I don't
see any advantage to matching the Snap-On color unless you
are doing touch up (shrug).

I would paint the whole thing.

I like common colors that are easy to match and find. I use
a lot of gloss black and white

I think that I will paint it gloss red.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

If you are going to paint pretty much the whole thing why
not just use a color you like and is easy to get. I don't
see any advantage to matching the Snap-On color unless you
are doing touch up (shrug).

I would paint the whole thing.

If you're painting the whole thing, I'd highly suggest just taking it to
an auto painting company and letting them do it. They will almost
certainly do a better job than you would do with spray cans, and they
would use the high quality automotive paints. If you figure your time
for preparing a suitable work area and then cleaning the mess up after
they are probably cheaper too.

I like common colors that are easy to match and find. I use
a lot of gloss black and white

I think that I will paint it gloss red.

Fluorescent safety orange...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The auto companies want to see the cabinet first. But it is heavy and
big, 60" tall and 36" wide. Hard to haul around.

I think that I will take a color photograph of it with me on the
photo, and try to see if they can give me a quote based on that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23760 wrote:

I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

Iggy,

Take it to a shop that caters to the autopainting trades. Have them shoot
it with their gun that will allow them to mix you paint that will match.

I needed some paint for my truck once, the guy came out and shot it. Said,
we can mix you OEM by formula but paint usually fades and this makes for a
closer match.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Another possibility is to see if you have a tech school nearby with an
auto body program. Many times they will paint vehicles at low cost to
provide the students with vehicles to hone their skills on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pete, and Wes, would an autobody shop paint job look considerably much
better than a spray can job? Or is the difference minor?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

have you ever seen a car painted with a spray can? can you tell the
difference between that and a regular car paint job? there is no comparison.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23760 wrote:

Pete, and Wes, would an autobody shop paint job look considerably much
better than a spray can job? Or is the difference minor?

It will look a LOT better. Consider that my paint guns cover an 8" path
with an even coat of pain in one swipe. The best spray cans hit about 2"
wide with the paint thicker in the center.
Also because they can use quality paint and materials you end up with a
better paint coating than you can get from ANY can. Spray cans use VERY
thin paint and the pressure drops as you use the can. It also uses finer
ground pigment which means you use more paint to get a good coat.
Take a look at most items that were painted with cans a few years later.
They almost always have tiger stripes where the pigment collected and
the carrier has worn away.

Personally I would blast the entire thing and powder coat it.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 May 2008 16:57:50 -0500, Ignoramus23760
wrote:

Pete, and Wes, would an autobody shop paint job look considerably much
better than a spray can job? Or is the difference minor?

Eye of the beholder. Some folks wouldn't notice much difference.

Are you sure you want a high-gloss automotive finish on a tool
cabinet? I'd prefer a two-part industrial urethane enamel, e.g.
DuPont Imron, that has some gloss but not the definition of image
found in an acceptable automotive job. It'd very likely be more
rugged.

Beware of acrylic lacquer that is sometimes used on cut-rate auto
jobs. It can look very nice when new but it is quite fragile. It's
cheap, for those "paint the heap to sell it" jobs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:14:22 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

"Ignoramus23760" wrote in message
m...

Pete, and Wes, would an autobody shop paint job look considerably much
better than a spray can job? Or is the difference minor?

have you ever seen a car painted with a spray can? can you tell the
difference between that and a regular car paint job? there is no comparison.

Guy I worked with, used rattle cans to paint his car one afternoon
after it sat in the sun while he ate lunch - greatest orange peel
effect I have ever seen!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Likely wanting to see the rust or other problems.

And all of the complex surfaces.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23760" wrote in message
I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

why don't you go to a REAL paint store, not a hardware store or a consumer
automotive store? The places that supply body/fender shops, for example -
they will know what the paint is, will be able to match, and sell you the
proper thinners and primers to use with it as well as whatever protective
gear you need to apply it. - generic enamel won't hold up well on a tool

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote in message

"Ignoramus23760" wrote in message
I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

why don't you go to a REAL paint store, not a hardware store or a
consumer automotive store? The places that supply body/fender shops, for
example - they will know what the paint is, will be able to match, and
sell you the proper thinners and primers to use with it as well as
whatever protective gear you need to apply it. - generic enamel won't hold
up well on a tool

I thought all auto parts store in the US did sell brand name automotive
paint like PPG and Martin Senour. Maybe that is a Upper Midwest thing.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

William Noble wrote in article

-
they will know what the paint is, will be able to match, and sell you the

proper thinners and primers to use with it as well as whatever protective

gear you need to apply it. - generic enamel won't hold up well on a tool

NAPA is hardly a "consumer automotive store."

Counterman Magazine rates NAPA's customer base as 70% professional and 30%
retail/DIY. Carquest is another that is rated high in the professional
cuatomer level.

Pep Boys, OTOH, is 100% retail/DIY while others such as Auto Zone, Advance,
etc. rate high in the retail/DIY.

NAPA sells Martin Senour products.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A dip in caustic soda then spray paint. Large paint booth companies
have the ability. Maybe a cabinet shop that has paint stripper and spray booth.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

William Noble wrote:
"Ignoramus23760" wrote in message
I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler
paint is highly toxic and is not easy to find locally.

I think that what I will do is, take a part of this Snap-On cabinet
and go to Ace Hardware. They have a decent paint selection, so I will
buy a couple of spray cans with matching color and use that (after
degreasing, cleaning and wirebrushing).

why don't you go to a REAL paint store, not a hardware store or a consumer
automotive store? The places that supply body/fender shops, for example -
they will know what the paint is, will be able to match, and sell you the
proper thinners and primers to use with it as well as whatever protective
gear you need to apply it. - generic enamel won't hold up well on a tool

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

why don't you go to a REAL paint store, not a hardware store or a

consumer
automotive store? The places that supply body/fender shops, for example

-
they will know what the paint is, will be able to match, and sell you the

proper thinners and primers to use with it as well as whatever protective

gear you need to apply it. - generic enamel won't hold up well on a tool

NAPA is hardly a "consumer automotive store."

Counterman Magazine rates NAPA's customer base as 70% professional and 30%
retail/DIY. Carquest is another that is rated high in the professional
cuatomer level.

Pep Boys, OTOH, is 100% retail/DIY while others such as Auto Zone,
Advance,
etc. rate high in the retail/DIY.

NAPA sells Martin Senour products.

whatever you think NAPA is, it is NOT a professional grade paint store - one
chain I have used is Finishmaster, but there are others - if you go to a
store that knows about paint, rather than parts, you will get much better
advice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:36:44 -0500, "Up North"
wrote:
snip
as well as whatever protective gear you need to apply it.

snip

If you are not familiar with "high performance" paint, pay
particular attention to this statement.

Several people have been killed, and many more made very sick
when either not using a respirator or using the incorrect
respirator when spraying catalyzed (two part) type paints like
DuPont Emron. Even if you are wearing the correct respirator,
remember that the fumes will affect anyone in the area such as
family members or pets, and generally these fumes are low to no
odor even in toxic concentrations.

Two parts paints are indeed high performance, but like many
things come at a price, only part of which is money.

FWIW -- the air sections of the military seem to have particular
problems with this as the catalyzed paints are widely used on
aircraft, and there is a desire to "touch-up" the paint jobs for
inspection. Not a bad thing in itself, but in many cases corners
were cut, such as not using the correct respirator or not
containing the fumes, and either the applicator or people in the
[generally crowed] immediate work area wound up going to sick bay
[or worse]. Any of our air maintenance people have any war
stories they would care to share?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[...]

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but local autobody shops -
large and small - all buy supplies - including a LOT of paint - from places
such as NAPA and Carquest.

While there are a handful of autobody supply specialists in my area, most
body shops cannot either wait for the weekly delivery, send someone past
several NAPA and Carquest stores to pick up supplies, or stock everything
that they might need between visits from the sales people.

YMMV

Snap Ring Barbara Devaney Home Repair 11 October 2nd 13 03:04 PM
Ever had a BS bearing eccentric snap? David Woodworking 2 October 15th 06 03:32 AM
Snap in laminate floors. HomeDecoy Home Repair 24 September 13th 06 02:44 PM
Which kind of snap pin is this? wrace Metalworking 2 February 21st 06 01:56 AM
Why do you buy Snap-on tools? Bray Haven Metalworking 7 November 10th 03 04:39 PM