Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ever had a BS bearing eccentric snap?

While cutting a maple/oak lamination on my Powermatic 14" BS yesterday,
I was startled by a loud "thunk" and caught something out of the corner
of my eye, skittering across the floor. I shut down immediately to
investigate. I soon discovered one of the pairs of lower guide bearings
under a cabinet. The eccentric had snapped off. Inside the lower wheel
housing was a fairly large, flat wood scrap, which had apparently made
it's way through the gap around the blade.

I had no idea that a BS would be susceptible to such damage. So--anyone
else seen this? I ordered 2 replacement eccentrics (Under $2 each) so
I'll have a spare. I might go the rest of my life without breaking
another one, but since shipping is the bulk of the cost... The good
news in all this is that WMH Toolgroup had the parts in stock.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
David (in ) said:

| I had no idea that a BS would be susceptible to such damage.
| So--anyone else seen this?

Yes. I nearly did the same thing yesterday myself. I promised myself
that I'd make a new insert plate that wouldn't pass anything much
larger than a sliver. I don't expect that it'll solve all such
problems; but it should minimize the chances for a repeat.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That's what I was gonna do before I fire it up again, Morris--make a new
insert. I was using the factory plastic, perforated POS with a very
wide gap for tilting the table. I tilt it once in a while, and that
should be the only time I ever use the factory insert in the future.

Dave

Request for advice regarding cantilevered mounted bearing housing, deflections and shaft stresses John2005 Metalworking 12 November 11th 05 09:39 PM
Surface grinder bearing questions Dave Metalworking 0 September 22nd 05 04:38 PM
pulling a stuck ball bearing Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 December 20th 04 05:01 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Radial arm saw repair hell (long) David F. Eisan Woodworking 8 March 25th 04 01:09 AM