Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snap Ring

Hi guys!

Hoping you can be of help to me.
Yesterday I purchased a replacement hose sprayer head for my kitchen
sink.
I was able to remove the old snap ring with a pocket knife but can't get
on the
new one.

Any ideas or solutions to my dilemma
would be greatly appreciated.
Also is the snap ring an absolute necessity? I assembled it without the
snap ring as the replacement has a much thicker rubber washer than the
original one and on a limited trial basis it seems okay. I don't want to
chance anything though.

Thank you in advance for any replies.I

Barbara

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Barbara Devaney wrote:
Hi guys!

Hoping you can be of help to me.
Yesterday I purchased a replacement hose sprayer head for my kitchen
sink.
I was able to remove the old snap ring with a pocket knife but can't get
on the new one.

Any ideas or solutions to my dilemma
would be greatly appreciated.
Also is the snap ring an absolute necessity? I assembled it without the
snap ring as the replacement has a much thicker rubber washer than the
original one and on a limited trial basis it seems okay. I don't want to
chance anything though.

Inner or outer ring? It's been a long time since I fooled w/ one of
these and can't recall where there is a snap ring.

As for is it needed--I'm sure they didn't make it with one for no
purpose...

I suspect it may work fine w/o it but you'll find that some time quite
unexpectedly it will let got and you'll get water all over where you
don't want it if you leave it off...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Barbara Devaney wrote:
Hi guys!

Hoping you can be of help to me.
Yesterday I purchased a replacement hose sprayer head for my kitchen
sink.
I was able to remove the old snap ring with a pocket knife but can't get
on the
new one.

Any ideas or solutions to my dilemma

Barbara

I hate to take chances on this stuff. Is this an under-the-sink
connection. I'd be tempted to use a "hose clamp" or more technically
called a "worm gear clamp" from the local hardware store. Probably less
than a couple of bucks.

You can totally "unscrew them" to put around a hose that is already
connected and then thread the thing back together. It's easier if you
put it on before the hoses are attached, though.

Here's one at Ace Hardwa http://tinyurl.com/elhkh

Posted to alt.home.repair

Barbara Devaney wrote:
Hi guys!

Hoping you can be of help to me.
Yesterday I purchased a replacement hose sprayer head for my kitchen
sink.
I was able to remove the old snap ring with a pocket knife but can't get
on the
new one.

Any ideas or solutions to my dilemma
would be greatly appreciated.
Also is the snap ring an absolute necessity? I assembled it without the
snap ring as the replacement has a much thicker rubber washer than the
original one and on a limited trial basis it seems okay. I don't want to
chance anything though.

Thank you in advance for any replies.I

Barbara

Without the snap ring installed the sprayer head will soon blow off the
hose at a most inopportune moment. It won't be a disaster since the
water will stop squirting out of the hose as soon as you shut the faucet
of course.

As to getting the snap ring back on, you didn't mention whether it's a
wire ring or a flat ring looking a bit like a schizophrenic letter "C".

Either way your best bet is to find someone with more than a pocket
knife in their tool kit and ask them to show you how they do it. Once
you observe what they do, you'll be a qualified snap ring putter oner
for life.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies. It's shaped like the
letter c and it goes into the groove at the tip of the hose.
Think I'm just going to ask for help on this
and postponee any further use of the sprayer. It's beyond my
capabilities that's for sure.
Again thanks much!

Barbara

Posted to alt.home.repair

Barbara Devaney wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It's shaped like the
letter c and it goes into the groove at the tip of the hose.
Think I'm just going to ask for help on this
and postponee any further use of the sprayer. It's beyond my
capabilities that's for sure.
Again thanks much!

Barbara

Just go down to your local hardware store and buy a cheap snap-ring
pliers. I just did and the cost was very reasonable.One tool had both
in and out tips.
Although one doesn't use one often, when you need one it is about he
only thing that works. It should be part of every home tool kit.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Barbara Devaney wrote:

Thanks for the replies. It's shaped like the
letter c and it goes into the groove at the tip of the hose.
Think I'm just going to ask for help on this
and postponee any further use of the sprayer. It's beyond my
capabilities that's for sure.
Again thanks much!

Barbara

Just go down to your local hardware store and buy a cheap snap-ring
pliers. I just did and the cost was very reasonable.One tool had both
in and out tips.
Although one doesn't use one often, when you need one it is about he
only thing that works. It should be part of every home tool kit.

Harry K

But, take that ring to the store with you, I have little faith in
today's average hardware store employees understanding requests for
anything more complex that a paint brush. G

If you happen to be near us in Red Sox Country, I'd be glad to pop over
and help, (With SWMBO of course.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dpb, Shelly wrote:
dpbozarth wrote:

Inner or outer ring? It's been a long time since I fooled w/ one of
these and can't recall where there is a snap ring.
As for is it needed--I'm sure they didn't make it with one for no
purpose...
I suspect it may work fine w/o it but you'll find that some time quite
unexpectedly it will let got and you'll get water all over where you
don't want it if you leave it off...

I looked on here to find out that same thing. I did not want to have to
go out to get a tool to put this snap ring on, I wanted to have it done
before my husband came home. So I got mad, cussed in Slovak and just
pushed on the little monster and (yay) it snapped on, so it can be done
without the pliers.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ng-128187-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 14, 2006 9:16:03 AM UTC-7, Barbara Devaney wrote:
Hi guys!

Hoping you can be of help to me.
Yesterday I purchased a replacement hose sprayer head for my kitchen
sink.
I was able to remove the old snap ring with a pocket knife but can't get
on the
new one.

Any ideas or solutions to my dilemma
would be greatly appreciated.
Also is the snap ring an absolute necessity? I assembled it without the
snap ring as the replacement has a much thicker rubber washer than the
original one and on a limited trial basis it seems okay. I don't want to
chance anything though.

Thank you in advance for any replies.I

Barbara

If it’s like the one I suspect you have, snap ring pliers won’t work. Try to do it in a place like inside a tub with a stopper on the drain where you won’t lose it if it springs out of your fingers. It takes patience, persistence and practice. I use small channel lock pliers myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shelly wrote:

Homeowners hub post from July 14, 2006.

--