Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mythbusters sighting

So after work, I drove out to the airport to
do a little work on my airplane. I keep it
at a rural airport that is small and quiet.

As I'm driving up to my hanger, I see a guy
walking up the road towards me. He wearing
a leather jacket, a beret, and has a red beard.

I've seen this guy somewhere. I stop the car
and wait for him to walk by me. I'm sure it's
the guy. I ask him, "aren't you the Mythbusters
guy?", He replies, "yes, I am". He's Jamie
Hyneman, cohost of Mythbusters. I get out and
shake his hand and tell him I like his show.
He seems tired and uninterested, so I don't
pursue him. He says they are finishing up a
shoot. I presume that it must have something to
do with parachutes or skydiving since the airport
has a world-class skydiving school.

Airport is 2Q3, Yolo County, California

Pretty strange huh?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
. ..
So after work, I drove out to the airport to
do a little work on my airplane. I keep it
at a rural airport that is small and quiet.

As I'm driving up to my hanger, I see a guy
walking up the road towards me. He wearing
a leather jacket, a beret, and has a red beard.

I've seen this guy somewhere. I stop the car
and wait for him to walk by me. I'm sure it's
the guy. I ask him, "aren't you the Mythbusters
guy?", He replies, "yes, I am". He's Jamie
Hyneman, cohost of Mythbusters. I get out and
shake his hand and tell him I like his show.
He seems tired and uninterested, so I don't
pursue him. He says they are finishing up a
shoot. I presume that it must have something to
do with parachutes or skydiving since the airport
has a world-class skydiving school.

Airport is 2Q3, Yolo County, California

Pretty strange huh?

Pretty strange dicks, imo.
There is a lot of production pressure in these shows, and I think many
involved need a big stiff drink at the end of each day to wind down. Tired
and disinterested indeed.
I've seen motivational speakers at the end of the day, and you'd think they
were homeless or sumpn, the way the wander around aimlessly.
Proly serves them right.

I think the concept of that show is great, and except for those two assholes
I think a lot of the cast is interesting, some of the "experiments"
intriguing and educational.
But the writers/producers have, once again, found a way to make the audience
grovel for crumbs of what might otherwise be decent educational
entertainment, and essentially ruin a good concept.

Just not worth it.
And stretching out each denouement to the end of the show is just effing
insulting.
I SED (E=enough) each day, I don't need to plaster my lips to the TV screen
as well.
Goodgawd....
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Sigh, what you said. I still miss Junkyard Wars when it was in its
heyday, where you could learn something new and useful every few minutes!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
So after work, I drove out to the airport to
do a little work on my airplane. I keep it
at a rural airport that is small and quiet.

As I'm driving up to my hanger, I see a guy
walking up the road towards me. He wearing
a leather jacket, a beret, and has a red beard.

I've seen this guy somewhere. I stop the car
and wait for him to walk by me. I'm sure it's
the guy. I ask him, "aren't you the Mythbusters
guy?", He replies, "yes, I am". He's Jamie
Hyneman, cohost of Mythbusters. I get out and
shake his hand and tell him I like his show.
He seems tired and uninterested, so I don't
pursue him. He says they are finishing up a
shoot. I presume that it must have something to
do with parachutes or skydiving since the airport
has a world-class skydiving school.

Airport is 2Q3, Yolo County, California

Pretty strange huh?

That's my old stomping grounds. I used to jump there when I lived in
Vacaville. Many fond memories of the place.

Jim Chandler
Apple Valley, Ca
D-4501
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
[...]

Very nice place. Lots of unusual planes and
good people. I myself don't jump out of perfectly
good aircraft, but I did just get back from doing
some touch-and-go's and some ground reference
maneuvers practicing for my practical exam. It
seemed like every student in the valley flew
out to Yolo to practice today. It's usually
much quieter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Sigh, what you said. I still miss Junkyard Wars when it was in its
heyday, where you could learn something new and useful every few minutes!

I'm also jealous of those two assholes' shop--an effing airplane hangar!
They might even have some cnc...
Really a lot of good stuff in that show, if I could just keep from
up-chucking.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

You have obviously never been in a jump plane with one of the crazy
assed pilots that fly them. You're GLAD to get out! :-) Now that you
mention it, Yolo is where I soloed back in 1967, just prior to going to
Vietnam. I took my training at the no longer existant glider port
between Vacaville and Fairfield. Getting to final there was a fun trip.
Base was flown behind and BELOW the ridge to the east. You couldn't
see the runway until the ridge went away. That's when you turned in and
lined up. Those were the days. $27/hr, WET plus $10 for the
instructor, as I recall.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

I rent my hanger space from the owner of the
skydiving place. He said I can fly left seat
in the jump plane sometime. I just haven't
had the time. I guess I'll have to try it
to find out how motivated I'd be to jump (:

You still fly?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

I fly when I can afford it, which lately isn't very often. I think it's
been over a year since I flew. i'm building an ultralight right now.
Hopefully, that will close the gaps a bit. I owned a '47 Stinson but I
wrecked it outside El Paso in '96 and sold the wreck three years ago,
thus the e-mail address. I haven't jumped since I made the two illegal
jumps from the C-130 I was a loadmaster on back in 1983. I keep
thinking about it but the closest DZ is about 100 miles away and it
would cost about $500 just to get in one jump, what with the training
course and all. I'm hoping to get the U/L going this winter so I can
take it down on the border and use it for aerial surveillance with the
Minutemen.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
Jim Stewart wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

I'll be looking for ya. Give me a wing wag about a half mile off the
border in Laredo. Watch out for owls.

LLB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm with you on that one!

And for the Mythbuster guys - they goof up some times, everyone does.
They are just a bit geeky and university driven for a TV cast.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

steamer wrote:
--Sigh, what you said. I still miss Junkyard Wars when it was in its
heyday, where you could learn something new and useful every few minutes!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 28, 9:56 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

Pretty soon they will be like OCC and have the water cutting machine and CNC
wheel mill, etc. Same thing. They don't show the fifty people working off
camera and behind the walls.

In Mythbusters defense they do attempt to show some of the off camera
help from time to time. However thats not who people are tuning in to
watch. People watch OCC because they're so dysfunctional its funny
(or sad, depends on how you look at it) so they get ratings and thus
more air time.

Complain about the PEOPLE not the shows.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote

I'm also jealous of those two assholes' shop--an effing airplane hangar!
They might even have some cnc...
Really a lot of good stuff in that show, if I could just keep from
up-chucking.
--
------

Yeah, I get jealous of guys who get paid to do what they do, particularly if
you understand all the auxiliary equipment and personnel off camera and back
stage. They show a lot of the finished products, but don't show the
machining work and expensive equipment it takes. All those adhesives, epoxy
and ballistics gel, and special effects components ain't cheap, either.

Pretty soon they will be like OCC and have the water cutting machine and CNC
wheel mill, etc. Same thing. They don't show the fifty people working off
camera and behind the walls.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

what kind of ultralight? i'd think you'd want to get some bulletproof plate
for under your seat and below the fuel tanks/engine. are you going to paint
some kind of message on the underside of the wing? (lol)

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote

I'm also jealous of those two assholes' shop--an effing airplane hangar!
They might even have some cnc...
Really a lot of good stuff in that show, if I could just keep from
up-chucking.
--
------

Yeah, I get jealous of guys who get paid to do what they do, particularly
if you understand all the auxiliary equipment and personnel off camera and
back stage. They show a lot of the finished products, but don't show the
machining work and expensive equipment it takes. All those adhesives,
epoxy and ballistics gel, and special effects components ain't cheap,
either.

Pretty soon they will be like OCC and have the water cutting machine and
CNC wheel mill, etc. Same thing. They don't show the fifty people
working off camera and behind the walls.

Indeed.
These are major production efforts, deceptive in many ways, to the extent
that they are passed off as DIY stuff, or, Oh, We just dashed this off,
we're so brite and cute.... Yeah, with 50 mutha****as humping in the
background, yer brite and cute....

Way way back in the This Old House days, before this HGTV **** went
absolutely out of control, even back then they had some "behind the scenes
shows", which basically fessed up to the homeshow diy-fixit bidniss being a
fraud:
It took multiple multiple takes just to get simple simple **** done, almost
to the point of ineptness.
Yeah, it's funny, sort of, to see these assholes **** up time after time,
but less funny when you grok the implications, the deception.

**** can be made to appear simple, but it is generally not simple.
Einstein: If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it.
This design-on-a-dime stuff, where their crew builds furniture/chochkees
right then and there, how much preparation was involved in that? Weeks,
I'll bet.
Without insight into the preparation/planning/thinking process, you lose
probably about 90% of what could be taught or learned.

There was stuff you could learn, but mostly what you lernt was just what
existed, no real improvement on what it was you yourself could do. Too much
sleight of hand.
There were some interesting people, who could educate and provide insight
into the whole process. Christopher Lloyd, Lynette Jennings in the early
HGTV days are now gone, a cupla other real woodworkers in the This Old House
days were gone long ago.
We, The Pubic, have essentially voted for what we now have. I'm not sure
how that vote gets tabulated, cuz my vote certainly wadn't counted, but
whatever....

It would be sumpn, tho, if in fact the Pubic didn't vote, and we've just
been Unilaterally Mind****ed by the powers that be.

With the HGTV sleight of hand nowadays, you might as well just watch a
Copperfield show.
Nowadays, it's more of a really good mind-****ing that ensures you will try
to keep up with the Joneses, even imaginary Joneses, at virtually any cost.
I'll never forget the smug twit in her 3-story vaulted ceiling bathroom.
Just how much grandeur does one need, in which to take a dump and cough up a
leungi?

This Old House set the real estate ass****ing in motion, with HGTV ramping
it up to 10 on the Richter scale, and is a major reason why your kids will
be staying home with you until they're about 45.

I think it is also a subtler dumbing down/"competing up" of America, without
really being obvious about it.
Altho there is no real need to be coy:
Look at Paris Hilton in The Simple Life, or I Love New York, or
GrowinUpfuknGotti. The architects of these obscenities pretty much
announce, revel in their contempt of the viewing audience.

The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but at
least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to be
good-looking to make it on the very small screen.
goodgawd....
I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much drunk/out of
it.
Man, *I* need a drink now....
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

That's a tad far from Californicate. I go down by Boulevard, CA and
work out of there.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I'll just fly high and quiet and paint "Wetback go home!" under
the wing. :-)

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

[...]

Oh, I forgot, I'm building an Afford-A-Plane (see www.affordaplane.com
to see what it looks like.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Nov 28, 9:56 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

Pretty soon they will be like OCC and have the water cutting machine and
CNC
wheel mill, etc. Same thing. They don't show the fifty people working
off
camera and behind the walls.

In Mythbusters defense they do attempt to show some of the off camera
help from time to time. However thats not who people are tuning in to
watch. People watch OCC because they're so dysfunctional its funny
(or sad, depends on how you look at it) so they get ratings and thus
more air time.

Complain about the PEOPLE not the shows.

OOps. My bad. Next time I'll check with you first.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote

The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but at
least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to be
good-looking to make it on the very small screen.
goodgawd....
I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much drunk/out
of it.
Man, *I* need a drink now....
--
------

I can relate to them more than any show mentioned in your snipped post. I
used to be a diver, and when I watch them dive, I know they're not just
wearing the wetsuits and using doubles. A lot of the stuff they try messes
up, and sometimes I want to say "OUCH!" with them when they really **** up
and you know it's gotta be hurting. They did one the other night on what
puts out the fire in the mouth from hot peppers. That was real. I was
wincing. And they miss as many guesses as they get right. And then, some
of the stuff they do reminds me of myself and some of my larger fiascos.
They shot off a projectile the other day in the shop, and the barrel of the
cannon was not secured. You guessed it. The projectile went one way, the
cannon the other. Good thing no one got hurt. First thing they said was,
"Well, duh, we know from physics class that for every reaction, there is an
equal and opposite reaction." That was between their giggling fits.

I'll bet they get some pretty good **** in California.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 28, 7:39 pm, "Pre-Meltdown"
wrote:
"steamer" wrote in message

[...]

they more than might

i've seen the CNC at M5 i think its in the lunchroom i know they have
a nice set of manual tools too. but i think their official promary job
in special effects is a lot of one off fabrication where manual
machines can still hold their own.

But i do agree some of the show hs floundered to production over
science and fabrication.

It kinda reminds me of the Discovery channel motorcycle shows. the
first one "Motorcycle mania" is jesse james making stuff with drama
around, as normal life is. But hes doing Nice Effin metalwork. the
same production team has floated to "biker build off" which was
everything but that. it was NO real fabrication on cameral and ALL
deadlines and drama.

At least one of the "american chopper" specials was honest the alked
the excecutive producer about american chopper and he said "Its not
about bikes its about a family business and family arguments" I'll
give them their due on honesty on that one but i previously said i'm
SURE ny state OHSA visits them and fines them for all the BAD safety
violations that still make it through to the show like t he playing
with oxy and acetylene and the lack of masks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

steamer wrote:
--Sigh, what you said. I still miss Junkyard Wars when it was in its
heyday, where you could learn something new and useful every few minutes!

I'll be honest i LOOK For geek TV

how many other geeks can come CLOSE to identifying with a tv show
anymore?

not beautiful people
not stupid either
make mistakes
let their audience call them on mistakes REPEATEDLY (chicken cannon)

I like the concept i hope it get cancelled before its too "television"
for my tastes

and the funniest thing it i WATCHED Grant in the battlebots he won i
REMEMBER Deadblow. I remember watching battlebots and robot wars
before the new slew of discovery channel shows
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote in
:

snip
The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but
at least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to
be good-looking to make it on the very small screen.
goodgawd....
I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much
drunk/out of it.
Man, *I* need a drink now....

Wow, someone had his wheaties ****ed in today.

So exactly what do you consider to be a good 'science' show??

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote in
:

snip

The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but
at least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to
be good-looking to make it on the very small screen.
goodgawd....
I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much
drunk/out of it.
Man, *I* need a drink now....

Wow, someone had his wheaties ****ed in today.

So exactly what do you consider to be a good 'science' show??

Bill

There aren't any any more.

But as a kid I shue did love Mr Wizard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote in news:13ktl70pl0ts061
@corp.supernews.com:
snip

There aren't any any more.

But as a kid I shue did love Mr Wizard.

A while back one of the science channels had a marathon of those and I
recorded all of them on DVD. I'd like to sit down and watch them with the
kids but just haven't had the time.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:30:03 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

There is a nice DZ right near my home in Taft.

Watch out for the irrigation canals though.....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Agreed, it's now the best game in town, but lately it seems like a
mighty small town, heh. I'm still waiting for the machinist equivalent of
New Yankee Workshop to pop up on DIY. Any takers?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

Hah. Ultralights with floats have been
known to land in irrigation canals in
the valley. Don't ask how I know...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote in
: snip

The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but
at least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to
be good-looking to make it on the very small screen.
goodgawd....
I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much
drunk/out of it.
Man, *I* need a drink now....

Wow, someone had his wheaties ****ed in today. So exactly what do you
consider to be a good 'science' show??

Bill

There aren't any any more.

But as a kid I shue did love Mr Wizard.

I'll take Mythbusters over the current crowd. It's lowbrow, and it shows
the warts and mistakes. The current batch of "stuff" has idea, half
constructed, and rolling out the door. As with the home improvement shows,
they're an insult to my intelligence, as I know how long it takes to get
from here to there. I don't like stuff just appearing. On DIY programs,
yes, you can go out and buy stuff ready to install or paint. But when they
cut up a lot of individual pieces and fit them and glue them and build
something, and it goes like "Oh, my, we need a headboard," and five minutes
later one appears, they lost me. OCC is just a male version of Desperate
Housewives. No shop could produce what they do when they spend that much
time bitching and premenstrual stressing, which is what it is. Now that I'm
seeing the numbers of OCC bikes I'm seeing everywhere, please don't tell me
that Vinnie and Paulie and a couple of assistants are building that many
high end high dollar machines. And I'm not saying you specifically, but
you the plural. They must have three shifts going, and only have the
cameras rolling during one. At Mythbusters, WYSIWYG mostly. There's a lot
of stuff behind the cameras, but the excitement of discovery is there, and
you're never sure of how things will turn out. Unlike OCC where the bike
gets done, and Pop and Vinnie and Paulie don't change.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 04:25:08 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

William Wixon wrote:

[...]

I hope your life insurance is paid up. That thing is a CROCK.

Mine is not an ultralight, but I'm building a Pegazair (French
Canadian STOL Bushplane).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"Pre-Meltdown" wrote in
:

snip
The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but
at least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to
be good-looking to make it on the very small screen.
goodgawd....
I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much
drunk/out of it.
Man, *I* need a drink now....

Wow, someone had his wheaties ****ed in today.

So exactly what do you consider to be a good 'science' show??

**** in my wheaties I proly wouldn't really mind--proly wouldn't even
notice.
It's the raisins in my raisin bread that aren't really raisins that get
me....

Super-excellent Q, with I think an inneresting answer:
(Mebbe print this out and read it on the throne, or sumpn...)

First, recall Beakman's World, which I used to watch Sat mornings, along
with Ernest P. World (the extraordinarily talented Jim Varney), with the
Wife, in my 30's.
What a treat! Extraordinarily well/artfully done, interesting and very
informative sci-wise, and hilarious.

Reminded me of SnagglePuss, which I think my mom loved more than I
did--along with other cartoons that were able to incorporate sophisticated
adult humor into childrens' format.
Rocky/Bullwinkle (Boris/Natasha), Betty Boop (and those very adult
insinuations.... not to mention the subliminal frames of nude Betty, before
the censors caught on!), and many others.

The bottom line is, regardless of whether it is science, art, music,
whatever, there is basically one right way to do it:
With an eye toward the aesthetic high road, that almost invariably
*elevates* the viewer, even if the viewer isn't exactly thrilled with the
product. Good food that may not always taste good, but certainly can, when
prepared correctly.
Iow, a product/result driven by the convictions of the scientist/artist,
regardless of the economic payoff.
Read: without probing the mind of consumer, searching for the absolute
lowest common denominator.

Vs. all other roads, which are basically avenues of some level of
manipulation/mindprobing-****ing.
Food that almost invariably tastes effing great, but is invariably bad for
you, to one degree or another.
Give dat flavor chemist a Nobel Prize.

Which is why jazz musicians starve, whilst Madonna's Borderline (mebbe more
recognizable as Bo'do'lahn), without one fukn musician on the track
(basically a canned ditty), sold millions. I-IV-V, jack.

There was an era, I believe, when commercial interests could and did
coincide with aesthetic truths--altho rarely in finance, but mebbe even
then, occasionally the notion of the Greater Good might have snuck in.

Most of published science/research is manipulative **** with unresolvable
conflicts of interest.
Even stuff in peer-reviewed mathematics journals is suspect, in part due to
the very process of peer-review and the turf therein. I read a fantastic
expose of the peer-review process, kick myself for losing it.

It is about getting the consumer addicted to junk food in all its
embodiments: junk culture, junk concepts, junk art/music/""literature"",
junkTV, junk humor, junk science, junk relationships, junk existence, and
inurring sed consumer to basically cannibalizing his fellow citizens.

It was one thing when Big Bidniss ass-****ed us. It's another when we do it
to each other, in part by being such willing pawns--think of the
self-humiliation in game shows, which started 5 seconds after the first TV
broadcast.
goodgawd, I'd slit my wrists before I would ever sink to that level....

Which segues (chaotically meanders?) to a final very important point.

Intellectuals are basically road kill for the Fanatic:
Yer local KKKmen, Aryan Brotherhood, super religious Christian right,
jihadic muslims, the whole spectrm of deranged/fanatic mutha****as.

But what these deranged groups have, that the Intellectual is sorely
missing, is *passion and a call to action*, a willingness/honor to sacrifice
for their moronic causes. Which, unfortunately, is fueled by hatred, fear,
and multiple hidden agendas/deficiencies, in the groups above.

If Intellectuals had this kind of passion and self-sacrifice, instead of
day-trading and talking **** at SoHo art galleries, jerking themselves off
in Mensa meetings, sipping fuknStarbucks, and profiling themselves at
Lincoln Center, we probably wouldn't be in a cultural meltdown.

Now, the Intellectual can sort of fend off some of the more flagrant efforts
of fanatics, and might even be able to get references to God removed from
our currency and courtrooms, might be able to prolong Roe v. Wade a little
longer, cupla other fav causes.

But they *cannot* fend off the New Moneyed Predatory and Low Class, which
is, basically, Congress and the Power Brokers, who relentlessly erode our
culture and society, who PV us up to the ileocecal valve and then tell us
it's just a colonoscopy, for our collective colonic well-being.
Congress is now little more than Mafia children sent to Harvard
Bidniss/Liarw School, who in some sense take a few cues from the NYC/Chicago
Mafias, and mebbe even from the Aryan Brotherhood.

All because, basically, intellectuals are dickless, determined above all
else to preserve their oh-so precious Starbucks lifestyle. And are often
corrupt themselves. And/or foot-shooting knowitalls.

It is, in fact, tough to be philosophically astute, and a tough
trench/back-alley fighter.

Mythbusters, now, is what is considered entertainment for the
quasi-intellectual.
And you gotta eat considerable **** for that dubious viewing privilege.
goodgawd....
And mebbe a little Charlie Rose, replete with utterly gratuitous blowings of
Bob Nardelli (HD carpet-bagger, and savior of modern society), P. Diddy
(another cultural savior) et al.

Which will proly all be moot, anyway, because the mind-alteration of our
youth is profound and insidious. They are being programmed into a focused
egocentric cult that probably can never be de-programmed.
It is reminiscent of our bankrupt legal system, where the adversarial ethic
is so powerful that we just accept that whoever wins is right, no matter how
low either side stoops, and reward them accordingly.
OJ raised a few eyebrows, but absolutely nothing has changed as a result.
And it dudn't matter whether it's high-profile criminal stuff, or
run-of-the-mill civil matters.

The point being, the New Zeitgeist will be totally self-absorbed mutha****as
throwing elbows, jockeying for some/any limelight, and no matter the
how/who/where/what/when/price/tactics of achieving it, whoever does achieve
it will be thusly communally blown.
A la Parisite Hilton.

We have simply lost our discriminatory powers. We all eat at a long trough,
filled with slop.

Proly, in nitty gritty terms, the waving red flag of our defunct culture is
the extraordinary number of broadcast hours devoted to televised Poker. And
tele-evangelism. And abs..... And a garish Paris& Harlots et al...
GoodEffingGawd.....
I thought televised golf and Bob Hope were bad.... I had no idea.....

Bartender....
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote in
:

snip
First, recall Beakman's World, which I used to watch Sat mornings,
along with Ernest P. World (the extraordinarily talented Jim Varney),
with the Wife, in my 30's.
What a treat! Extraordinarily well/artfully done, interesting and
very informative sci-wise, and hilarious.

snip
I'll dig through the rest of the post later, read it once, scratched head,
read it again, smacked head to make sure it was working, read it a last
time and decided I needed more time to coagulate it into a cognative
thought

I will, on the other hand, discuss Beakman!! Great show, why Bill Nye the
Science Guy kept a show a Paul Zaloom did not I'll never know. They are re-
airing it on Fox and I've been TIVOing it so my girls can watch it. They
love it, especially Lester. My middle kid wanted to write a letter to
Beakman and was disappointed when she was told the show was no longer being
made.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote in message

snip

The point being, the New Zeitgeist will be totally self-absorbed
mutha****as throwing elbows, jockeying for some/any limelight, and no
matter the how/who/where/what/when/price/tactics of achieving it, whoever
does achieve it will be thusly communally blown.
A la Parisite Hilton.

We have simply lost our discriminatory powers. We all eat at a long
trough, filled with slop.

Proly, in nitty gritty terms, the waving red flag of our defunct culture
is the extraordinary number of broadcast hours devoted to televised Poker.
And tele-evangelism. And abs..... And a garish Paris& Harlots et al...
GoodEffingGawd.....
I thought televised golf and Bob Hope were bad.... I had no idea.....

Bartender....

Man, you're winding that stem today. Here, put your feet up, relax with that
drink, and read a little Tom Wolfe:

http://www.portfolio.com/executives/...he-Pirate-Pose

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

I always wanted to go down (from Vacaville) to Taft but as a young SSgt
in the Air Force, such trips were not practical. Yolo had a ditch right
next to the landing area also. One of my students managed to land right
in it, dead center.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"Pre-Meltdown" wrote in
:

snip
First, recall Beakman's World, which I used to watch Sat mornings,
along with Ernest P. World (the extraordinarily talented Jim Varney),
with the Wife, in my 30's.
What a treat! Extraordinarily well/artfully done, interesting and
very informative sci-wise, and hilarious.

snip
I'll dig through the rest of the post later, read it once, scratched head,
read it again, smacked head to make sure it was working, read it a last
time and decided I needed more time to coagulate it into a cognative
thought

Mebbe if you take some of the meds I was on when I wrote it.....

I will, on the other hand, discuss Beakman!! Great show, why Bill Nye the
Science Guy kept a show a Paul Zaloom did not I'll never know. They are
re-
airing it on Fox and I've been TIVOing it so my girls can watch it. They
love it, especially Lester. My middle kid wanted to write a letter to
Beakman and was disappointed when she was told the show was no longer
being
made.

And I think that with just a little more aesthetic concern, and with a
little less desire to mind-**** the Pubic for fun and profit, we could have
many many more efforts like Beakman, Ernest P World, and a cupla others I
forgot. There are truly talented people out there, and it must be an
exquisite torture to know that you and your comrades are capable of such
quality and truly valuable stuff, with nowadays absolutely no outlet for it,
no real appreciation of it.
Ditto the University experience. I can count on a crooked left hand the
professors who were worth a dump. 99% are riding the coattails of the
system. **** them.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

SteveB wrote in article

wrote in message
On Nov 28, 9:56 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

Pretty soon they will be like OCC and have the water cutting machine

and
CNC
wheel mill, etc. Same thing. They don't show the fifty people

working
off
camera and behind the walls.

In Mythbusters defense they do attempt to show some of the off camera
help from time to time. However thats not who people are tuning in to
watch. People watch OCC because they're so dysfunctional its funny
(or sad, depends on how you look at it) so they get ratings and thus
more air time.

Complain about the PEOPLE not the shows.

OOps. My bad. Next time I'll check with you first.

Steve

I believe the whole Mythbusters concept has just about run its course.

They - like Mike Rowe in Dirty Jobs - are now strongly soliciting ideas
from their audience.

If one can judge from past audience-driven shows, we should not expect
award-winning scientific concepts and ideas.

At least the people involved with "Wing Nuts" had the decency to quit when
the concept started to go stale, and they did NOT exploit the suicide of
one of the main characters.

Imagine what American Chopper would do with the suicide of Mikey or Paul -
either Sr. or Jr.