Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pre-Meltdown Pre-Meltdown is offline

Default Mythbusters sighting

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Pre-Meltdown" wrote

I'm also jealous of those two assholes' shop--an effing airplane hangar!
They might even have some cnc...
Really a lot of good stuff in that show, if I could just keep from
up-chucking.
--
------

Yeah, I get jealous of guys who get paid to do what they do, particularly
if you understand all the auxiliary equipment and personnel off camera and
back stage. They show a lot of the finished products, but don't show the
machining work and expensive equipment it takes. All those adhesives,
epoxy and ballistics gel, and special effects components ain't cheap,
either.

Pretty soon they will be like OCC and have the water cutting machine and
CNC wheel mill, etc. Same thing. They don't show the fifty people
working off camera and behind the walls.

Indeed.
These are major production efforts, deceptive in many ways, to the extent
that they are passed off as DIY stuff, or, Oh, We just dashed this off,
we're so brite and cute.... Yeah, with 50 mutha****as humping in the
background, yer brite and cute....

Way way back in the This Old House days, before this HGTV **** went
absolutely out of control, even back then they had some "behind the scenes
shows", which basically fessed up to the homeshow diy-fixit bidniss being a
fraud:
It took multiple multiple takes just to get simple simple **** done, almost
to the point of ineptness.
Yeah, it's funny, sort of, to see these assholes **** up time after time,
but less funny when you grok the implications, the deception.

**** can be made to appear simple, but it is generally not simple.
Einstein: If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it.
This design-on-a-dime stuff, where their crew builds furniture/chochkees
right then and there, how much preparation was involved in that? Weeks,
I'll bet.
Without insight into the preparation/planning/thinking process, you lose
probably about 90% of what could be taught or learned.

There was stuff you could learn, but mostly what you lernt was just what
existed, no real improvement on what it was you yourself could do. Too much
sleight of hand.
There were some interesting people, who could educate and provide insight
into the whole process. Christopher Lloyd, Lynette Jennings in the early
HGTV days are now gone, a cupla other real woodworkers in the This Old House
days were gone long ago.
We, The Pubic, have essentially voted for what we now have. I'm not sure
how that vote gets tabulated, cuz my vote certainly wadn't counted, but
whatever....

It would be sumpn, tho, if in fact the Pubic didn't vote, and we've just
been Unilaterally Mind****ed by the powers that be.

With the HGTV sleight of hand nowadays, you might as well just watch a
Copperfield show.
Nowadays, it's more of a really good mind-****ing that ensures you will try
to keep up with the Joneses, even imaginary Joneses, at virtually any cost.
I'll never forget the smug twit in her 3-story vaulted ceiling bathroom.
Just how much grandeur does one need, in which to take a dump and cough up a
leungi?

This Old House set the real estate ass****ing in motion, with HGTV ramping
it up to 10 on the Richter scale, and is a major reason why your kids will
be staying home with you until they're about 45.

I think it is also a subtler dumbing down/"competing up" of America, without
really being obvious about it.
Altho there is no real need to be coy:
Look at Paris Hilton in The Simple Life, or I Love New York, or
GrowinUpfuknGotti. The architects of these obscenities pretty much
announce, revel in their contempt of the viewing audience.

The two assholes on Mythbusters, tho, do take some kind of cake, but at
least they provide some reassuring evidence that you don't have to be
good-looking to make it on the very small screen.
goodgawd....
I'm pretty sure when they're not shooting, they're pretty much drunk/out of
it.
Man, *I* need a drink now....
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

AND,
Make sure whomever you do vote for believes in
ABSOLUTE separation of Church & State--ferchrissakes

all d'numbuhs

Steve