Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Faux "news"

so, how is "frontline" on pbs generally regarded? i watched a program about
two nights ago on iran and it was absolutely facinating.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...wdown/(watched a program a couple
days ago on iran/iraq and that was facinating too) (and i saw a program a
couple months ago about enron that was incredible) i'd imagine people would
say "frontline" has a left leaning bias.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

two nights ago on iran and it was absolutely facinating.http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...down/(watcheda program a couple
days ago on iran/iraq and that was facinating too) (and i saw a program a
couple months ago about enron that was incredible) i'd imagine people would
say "frontline" has a left leaning bias.

b.w.

Frontline is considered to be one of the best investigative show on
today.

While I do not automatically believe anything I hear or see if
Frontline says it, I give it a strong bias towards believeable.

It is what network news used to be.

It is informative...not entertaining.

On a network where ratings = advertising rates are king, it would not
stand a snowball's chance in hell of lasting long.

In regards to the Bush administration, it is one of the biggest
reasons that they are trying to axe PBS funding.

Their research has been used by several organizations as the basis to
challenge the White House.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
so, how is "frontline" on pbs generally regarded? i watched a program
about two nights ago on iran and it was absolutely facinating.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...wdown/(watched a program a
couple days ago on iran/iraq and that was facinating too) (and i saw a
program a couple months ago about enron that was incredible) i'd imagine
people would say "frontline" has a left leaning bias.

There are people who would say that C-Span has a left-leaning bias. g

Frontline is a top-notch show. "Cheney's Law," a one-hour program that's
been running frequently over the past couple of weeks, was excellent.
Because Frontline focuses on big issues and big institutions, such as
government, its perceived "bias" depends a lot on who's in power. But it
often examines issues from the standpoint of someone doing something wrong
to someone else, so it's at least anti-institutional, which probably is
perceived as anti-establishment.

They archive their shows online and you can watch them there, for free:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 27, 4:37 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
[...]

I did not realize that the show were available on line...THANK YOU for
that info.

That is reason enough to get high speed internet...when I can.

TMT

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

I wish Frontline would do a show on Bush's military service. As much as
Rather was pilloried for his inaccurate story about Bush's stint in the
Texas air national guard I can't help but think there is more to the story
than we know. It has the smell of something not right. In the end I wouldn't
be surprised to find out some years after Bush is out of office that many,
if not all, the accusations about his special treatment, absenteeism, family
nepotism, and the rest will be found to be true. Much the way that the case
for the war in Iraq was a lie and is now well known. What's the saying? The
truth will out. What do you bet that down the road Rather will be shown to
have been right about Bush's military service all along?

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

I really forget the details of the story, so I don't know. The important
thing to me is that anyone who got into the air national guard in those days
had either good connections or good luck. It was a favorite way for kids
with good family connections and 1A draft status to skate out of Vietnam.
Whether he served as he was supposed to or he was AWOL half the time almost
doesn't matter to me.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 28, 12:40 am, "Hawke" wrote:
[...]

Hawke- Hide quoted text -

Actually we don't know that Rather's story was inaccurate...just that
he was fed some forgeries.

By who...hmmm...it wouldn't be the first time "dirty tricks" were used
by the Right.

Actually if you followed the story you noticed that many people
involved suddenly had developed amnesia when asked about Bush Jr.'s
service....a real tell that there IS a story to be told.

If you follow the tactics of the Bush camp, they love to smear true
vets....first McCaine and then Kerry.

It also explains why Bush loves to cut funding to the vets.....use
them and lose them is his game.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 28, 1:07 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

You are right Ed....a real patriot would have volunteered for
Vietnam...which neither Cheney nor Bush did.

At least Cheney didn't shoot anyone by accident and Bush kept the beer
supply safe from Charlie

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

You are right Ed....a real patriot would have volunteered for
Vietnam...which neither Cheney nor Bush did.

Did you?
Or is this just moe noise?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:07:56 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

========
download and view
http://media.goleft.tv/medias/ROF_Greg_Palast_John.m4v
[c. 225 meg / 21 minutes]
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

You are right Ed....a real patriot would have volunteered for
Vietnam...which neither Cheney nor Bush did.

I'm going to take exception to the first part of that statement. I'd say
that anyone who swallowed LBJ's bull**** would have volunteered for Vietnam.
Many of them were real patriots. Many other real patriots believed that the
thing to do was to get the jerks out of government and to stop fighting wars
based on trumped-up evidence and misguided political ideologies. In Vietnam
the big trump-up was the Tonkin Gulf Affair. In Iraq, it was WMDs.

As for Cheney, there are a lot of people who wish they knew that hemorrhoids
could get you a deferment.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message

snip

download and view
http://media.goleft.tv/medias/ROF_Greg_Palast_John.m4v
[c. 225 meg / 21 minutes]
Unka' George [George McDuffee]

Ah, George, downloading 225 megs is not high on my list of favorite things.
g Can you just tell us the bottom line?

Thanks.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:37:34 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
.. .

snip

download and view
http://media.goleft.tv/medias/ROF_Greg_Palast_John.m4v
[c. 225 meg / 21 minutes]
Unka' George [George McDuffee]

Ah, George, downloading 225 megs is not high on my list of favorite things.
g Can you just tell us the bottom line?

Thanks.

================
1) The [fake?] memo was a sideshow and pretext.

2) The real story was the political influence Pappy Bush used to
get W into the ANG.

3) Dan Rather did not BREAK the story.

4) Much of the information was collected and collated by an
American correspondent for the BBC named Greg Palast who has
documents, sworn statements, and recordings detailing how this
was done, and how Bush as Governor of Texas made sure that one of
the participants [bagman?] got a 23 million dollar sweetheart
deal for Ben Barnes in 1997 involving the Texas Lottery. Harriet
Meyers was also involved.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...rnes092199.htm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...190140_000.htm
http://mediamatters.org/items/200510080003

Greg Palast is the author of a NYT best seller "Armed Madhouse."
http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Madhouse.../dp/0525949682
also see
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Democracy...270329-1510324

5) Dan Rather is suing for breach of contract [nothing in writing
apparently] where he was to retain his job [get his contract
extended] and get 60 Minutes airtime if he would retract/deny his
story on W's draft dodging. He is suing because he retracted and
then got canned anyhow.

6) There may have been much more to Dan Rather's "What's the
frequency Kenneth" "mugging/beating" than was ever publicized.

7) CBS/Viacom/Sumner Redstone is a propaganda mouthpiece for any
administration in power in return for the FCC not opposing their
acquisition of multiple media outlets in the same markets.
click on
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/9/21/215027/970
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Corporation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumner_Redstone
http://www.methree.net/archives/2006...olaviacom.html
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...._Bush_%26_CBS
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/..._id=1003255455

Excuse me while I go throw up.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Oh, God. That cabin by a trout stream with no telephone or TV is sounding
better all the time.

Thanks, George. I didn't realize there was that much to it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Off shore, Ed.
I just hope to make it before all hell breaks loose.
IE - the 2008 elections...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

Oh, God. That cabin by a trout stream with no telephone or TV is sounding
better all the time.

Thanks, George. I didn't realize there was that much to it.

--
Ed Huntress

Off shore, Ed.
I just hope to make it before all hell breaks loose.
IE - the 2008 elections...

I'm not ready for that. A little isolation would help. Maybe an extended
trip to the desert or the subarctic. I like the subarctic.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:39:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

Oh, God. That cabin by a trout stream with no telephone or TV is sounding
better all the time.

Thanks, George. I didn't realize there was that much to it.

--
Ed Huntress

Off shore, Ed.
I just hope to make it before all hell breaks loose.
IE - the 2008 elections...

I'm not ready for that. A little isolation would help. Maybe an extended
trip to the desert or the subarctic. I like the subarctic.

There are only 4 things which are certain in this world: Death, Taxes,
excessive Christmas Music, and out-of-control Election Rhetoric.

I like the isolation of Grants Pass (I'm halfway between cities of 30k
and 2k populations) and no TV, but the barkers next door just have to
stop for me to be happy.

All I want for Christmas is an Ultrasonic Screamer to fight back.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:39:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

[...]

A cougar released on their property might do it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:23:10 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:39:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
snip

[...]

Sheeeit! I'd love to film THAT one! Bwahahahahaha...

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
-- Etty Hillesum
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Hawke wrote in article

[...]

Keep on wishing upon that star........for some day your Prince will
come.........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:30:12 -0500, "*" wrote:

Hawke wrote in article

[...]

Maybe if he clicks his ruby slippers together really hard and makes a
wish?

Gunner

"[L]iberals are afraid to state what they truly believe in, for to do so
would result in even less votes than they currently receive. Their
methodology is to lie about their real agenda in the hopes of regaining
power, at which point they will do whatever they damn well please. The
problem is they have concealed and obfuscated for so long that, as a group,
they themselves are no longer sure of their goals. They are a collection of
wild-eyed splinter groups, all holding a grab-bag of dreams and wishes. Some
want a Socialist, secular-humanist state, others the repeal of the Second
Amendment. Some want same sex/different species marriage, others want voting
rights for trees, fish, coal and bugs. Some want cradle to grave care and
complete subservience to the government nanny state, others want a culture
that walks in lockstep and speaks only with intonations of political
correctness. I view the American liberals in much the same way I view the
competing factions of Islamic
fundamentalists. The latter hate each other to the core, and only join
forces to attack the US or Israel. The former hate themselves to the core,
and only join forces to attack George Bush and conservatives." --Ron Marr

Faux "news" Wes[_2_] Metalworking 6 October 29th 07 03:41 AM
Current "Woodshop News" John Grossbohlin Woodworking 0 February 19th 06 03:47 PM
"Faux" sandblasting glass uncle k Home Repair 5 November 14th 05 05:24 PM