uncle k

Default "Faux" sandblasting glass

We bought a unit which has a huge (7' X 9') mirror on the dining room wall.
The unit once had a Great Dane (nice lap dog for a townhouse) living in it,
who apparently liked to attack the image in the mirror. Result: Several
permanent (2'-3' long) scratches in the surface of the mirror, vertical,
with an arcing shape. Fortunately, the scratches are at the ends, not in
the center.

What I'd like to do is hide the scratches among a desert scene - like palm
trees, cactus, whatever - using something which will produce a "sandblasted"
look. I don't know if such a product even exists, but I do remember
something similar... a paint-on concoction which shrivels when it dries, to
look like stained glass, coupled with another concoction, which makes it
look like leaded glass.

The problem is that I don't know where to find such a thing, or even what to
ask for. My best guess is that this might be found at an arts and crafts
type of shop. ??? If I can find the right product, then I'll either need
an artist, or a stencil, but, first things first.

Any ides? TIA,

Unc

Philip Lewis

"uncle k" writes:
look. I don't know if such a product even exists, but I do remember
something similar... a paint-on concoction which shrivels when it dries, to
look like stained glass, coupled with another concoction, which makes it
look like leaded glass.

The problem is that I don't know where to find such a thing, or even what to

you can get "frosted glass" paint in spray cans in most good painting
sections/stores. I've seen both colored and colorless.

There is also faux stained glass, made by a couple manufactures. The
only one that comes to mind right now is Plaid Gallery glass.
(http://www.plaidonline.com/apGG.asp) I've seen others as well.
(I seem to recall "Prism" brand... but a quick google search didn't
turn it up in the first few links)

Craft stores (Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabrics (and crafts), Pat Catan's) or
Hobby shops should have something.

Good Luck.
--
be safe.
flip

uncle k

Thanks for the links. I Googled "glass etching cream" and can get
everything I'll need (except for the courage to actually take this project
on), including "how to."

Being 4 months and 1400 miles away from said mirror, I have some time to
plan my attack. At a glance, I'm not seeing any stencils/patterns available
in the size I'll need, and free-hand art is not my forte. Meanwhile, Plan
B: There are plenty of talented Mexican artists in the general area,
capable of sketching a mural. From there, they might even talk me into
painting it on, rather than etching. Either way, I'm convinced that I can
turn this mirror into something worthy of taking up an entire wall.

LJ

Look for Delta PermEnamel White Frost "glass etching" paint.
Available at craft stores, usually in the acrylic paint aisle.

It doesn't really etch. It's just a frosted clear-coat paint that goes
on with a brush. Clean up brushes w/soapy water before it dries. I
found I needed 2-3 very thin coats to looks good. It's AP rated
non-toxic, so no fumes either.

After setting for 10 days it becomes dishwasher-safe.

I've used it with a stencil to "etch" a plain glass candle bowl. Looks
exactly like I used real acid etch. I've used true acid etching
products, and while they work great, they're messier and there's more
room for error. With the Delta stuff, you can gently scrape off areas
that may bleed under the stencil.

You can use clear Contac for a stencil, just burnish the edges well
with the back of a spoon (or a brayer/roller, if you happen to have
one).

Philip Lewis

"uncle k" writes:
Thanks for the links. I Googled "glass etching cream" and can get
everything I'll need (except for the courage to actually take this project
on), including "how to."

If you do use actual etching cream, make ABSOLUTELY sure you you
follow all directions for safety. Read the MSDS on them if you can
find it. Many of them will penetrate bare skin and give subtissue
burns which are not immediately apparent.

I'm not saying stay away from the stuff... Thet are fine products and
will do a nice job. I'm just saying be careful.

I recently used McKay Velvet Etching Cream and was really pleased with
it. What *REALLY* pleased me was that when i called the company to
get the MSDS and instructions, Bob McKay answered the tech support
line and emailed me the information in under an hour.
(I have no connections with this company. (Well, at least none of
which that I know.))

At a glance, I'm not seeing any stencils/patterns available

For etching, it's likely you would use contact paper and cut out the
design (leaving the paper where you do not want to etch)

If you want to play around, look for the spray can stuff which is
really a cloudy clear paint. It will be much more forgiving as the
results are reversible with a scraper.

good luck!

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

uncle k

"LJ" wrote in message
Look for Delta PermEnamel White Frost "glass etching" paint.
Available at craft stores, usually in the acrylic paint aisle.

It doesn't really etch. It's just a frosted clear-coat paint that goes
on with a brush. Clean up brushes w/soapy water before it dries. I
found I needed 2-3 very thin coats to looks good. It's AP rated
non-toxic, so no fumes either.

Good idea! The more I think about etching, the more I wish for an easier
way, with fewer potential pitfalls. I really like the idea of having a
second chance, should the first attempt not turn out. I don't really like
this mirror (or even the concept of having a mirrored-wall), but there it
is, and the thing is worth a fortune... besides, it's way too big to
remove.

Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
cutting glass tubing Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 27th 04 06:48 AM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM