Ken Sterling

Default cutting glass tubing

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
.625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?
Ken.

williamhenry

sounds like borosilicate glass tubing

nasty stuff to cut in short lengths

mcmaster sells a nice little handheld cutter that helps immensely,

I still buy extra tubing when making sight glasses at work , they don't
always break nice and clean

Rick

"williamhenry" wrote in message
sounds like borosilicate glass tubing

nasty stuff to cut in short lengths

mcmaster sells a nice little handheld cutter that helps immensely,

I still buy extra tubing when making sight glasses at work , they don't
always break nice and clean

Sounded like sight glass material to me, too. I've never tried cutting
something that short.
I've always assumed the vendor cut them with a wet saw, especially the
larger diameter ones.

jim rozen

In article m, Ken Sterling
says...

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?

Other approach (besides a diamond cutoff wheel) is to score
around it completely with a carbide scribe. Basically you mount
the scribe in a v-block type thing and rotate the tube (end
up against a stop) to score around it.

Then wrap a piece of nicrome wire around the score and bring
it to red heat.

Alternatively wrap a gasoline-soaked string around the scribe
mark and light it on fire. Outdoors of course....

Jim

please reply to:

Glenn Ashmore

From my hero Dr. Stong. Score around the tube and then tie a cotton
string around the score. Soak the string in lighter fluid. Stand the
tube on end and light the string. The part above the string will heat
more than that below and the tube will crack cleanly at the score.
(Assuming you hold your mouth right and the moon is in the propper
phase. ) :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Koz

After reading all this over and all the methods that "might" work I'd
say take it to your local rock shop or any rockhound. The diamond saw
could whip out a dozen of these in short order without all the headaches.

Koz

Stan Schaefer wrote:

(Ken Sterling) wrote in message ws.com...

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
.625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?
Ken.

Is that 11/16" or 1 1/16"? Any Pyrex I've ever encountered would
scratch with a file and break cleanly, but I've not cut anything quite
like what you describe for dimensions, that's almost gauge glass
thickness. I'd say it was time for a diamond wheel and a lot of water
for cooling. I've also seen a jig for cutting thick-wall glass tubing
for lasers using a hand hacksaw and a chunk of banding iron for a
blade. Abrasive compound was used for the actual cutting media.
Messy, any way you cut it.

Just thought of another way I'd seen for cutting big carboys and
bottles. You use a diamond and scribe all the way around your cut
area, wrap with nichrome and heat the area up with a Variac for
current control. Then take a wet rag to the scribed line and it
should crack through. Worth trying.

Stan

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:22:32 -0700, Koz
wrote:

After reading all this over and all the methods that "might" work I'd
say take it to your local rock shop or any rockhound. The diamond saw
could whip out a dozen of these in short order without all the headaches.

You beat me to it, Koz. But before using your diamond blade, be sure
to pack the tubing (anything will do; I use wet paper towels) to
minimize breakage.

Good luck.
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article m, Ken
Sterling wrote:

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
.625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?
Ken.

Sounds like the tubing is old.
The older glass gets the harder it is to cut clean.

Try a small diamond cutoff wheel in a dremel tool.
Score it all the way around.
Daniel A. Mitchell

Rick wrote:

"williamhenry" wrote in message
sounds like borosilicate glass tubing

nasty stuff to cut in short lengths

mcmaster sells a nice little handheld cutter that helps immensely,

I still buy extra tubing when making sight glasses at work , they don't
always break nice and clean

Sounded like sight glass material to me, too. I've never tried cutting
something that short.
I've always assumed the vendor cut them with a wet saw, especially the
larger diameter ones.

Sounds like a job for a glass saw... a 'wet' table saw with a thin
abrasive cut off disk. Water coolant is sprayed on the wheel just ahead
of the cut. Most have a ball-bearing sliding table to hold the glass.
Short or thin sections are do-able, but care must be used.

A wet tile saw might work, with an appropriate fine and thin saw disk.

Dan Mitchell
==========

Eric R Snow

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:44:07 -0400, "Daniel A. Mitchell"
wrote:

digid wrote:

Once you score it, but it under water before trying to snap it off. I
have had good luck with very thin glass under water.

In article ,
Glass wrote:

Glass tubing cutter. American Scientific and Surplus

Item #91921 GLASS TUBE CUTTER $7.95 / EACH

http://sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?te...LogFrom=Search

Good luck.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:25:56 GMT, (Ken
Sterling) wrote:

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?
Ken.

A good suggestion, and an old glassworkers trick. Glassworkers usually
wet the knick before tring to 'snap' a scored glass part. This somehow
allows the break to progess easier. I've heard it stated as a 'surface
tension' issue, with glass being a supercooled liquid. Whatever. It does
work. Water, or more usually a drop of saliva, does the trick.

Dan Mitchell
==========

I read a textbook about glass. Very informative. Glass dissolves in
water. It can help release tension in the surface of tempered glass
when applied to scratches. My wife got first hand knowledge about
this. When wiping down a glass cutting board (how stupid-a glass
cutting board!) it exploded. Just went bang. As she was gently wiping
it. What was most interesting is that glass itself becomes a good
solvent when molten. And dissolves the furnace walls.
ERS

jtaylor

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote in message
digid wrote:

Once you score it, but it under water before trying to snap it off. I
have had good luck with very thin glass under water.

A good suggestion, and an old glassworkers trick. Glassworkers usually

wet the knick before tring to 'snap' a scored glass part. This somehow
allows the break to progess easier. I've heard it stated as a 'surface
tension' issue, with glass being a supercooled liquid. Whatever. It does
work. Water, or more usually a drop of saliva, does the trick.

This I remember an article about - think it was SciAm in the days when it
was less glossy.

The water molecule is just the right size to fit down in the crack in glass
at the point where the crack starts. It helps the crack along at the
molecular level, sort of a physical catalyst - that's why you don't need a
lot.

Other molecules they tried of similar molecular weight were too big or too
small and they didn't have the same effect.

williamhenry

another interesting fact is glass will conduct electricity when molten

we have a glass fibre plant here in town that makes some very interesting
products from glass , their raw material is @ 3/4 inch glass marbles

very interesting

Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:14:43 -0500, the renowned "williamhenry"
wrote:

another interesting fact is glass will conduct electricity when molten

So will ceramics such as firebrick when red hot. I wonder if there are
really any insulators at 1000°C.

we have a glass fibre plant here in town that makes some very interesting
products from glass , their raw material is @ 3/4 inch glass marbles

very interesting

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Tim Williams

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
So will ceramics such as firebrick when red hot. I wonder if there are
really any insulators at 1000°C.

Vacuum. But then, that's neither strong nor hot, in and of itself.
And some materials have a habit of conducting through it anyway! :^)

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Tom Hubin

Ken Sterling wrote:

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?
Ken.

*****************************

Hello Ken,

I cut some 1/4 inch pyrex tube recently. Could not get a clean break so
I used the edge of a wet ceramic wheel at my local optician's place.
Sawed through with the edge of the wheel then used the wet wheel
circumference to smooth the glass cut.

Come to think of it, the optician had replaced his ceramic wheel with a
diamond wheel so that is what I used. But I would have preferred a
ceramic wheel. A ceramic wheel is larger but it just feels better to me.

The inside edge of the glass tube still has some burrs. Opticans call
them stars. I think a hand held cone shaped diamond or ceramic tool can
clean that up. Leftover stars are susceptible to breakage so best to
eliminate of possible.

Tom Hubin

Ken Sterling

On 24 Jun 2004 15:07:00 -0700, (pragmatist)
wrote:

(Ken Sterling) wrote in message ws.com...
Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
.625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?
Ken.

Old Glasscutting trick, works on 'flint glass`, :
(Might work on pyrex even with its lower coefficient of expansion).
Once you've got it scored wet the score mark with water.
Then touch the score mark at one point with a red hot piece of
metal, (large nail, etc.).
The thermal expansion does the cracking.

Reportedly, turpentine works better, or is this just an old grandad's
tale. He always dipped his cutting wheel in turpentine before scoring
the glass.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Just as an update.... I've tried a few different suggestions (with not
much luck), even tried, just for the sake of it, the engraving tool
with carbide point.... it would score the glass but I still couldn't
get a clean break that I could dress up for finish. This is a
borosilicate glass tube from McMaster Carr. I haven't tried the "hot
rod/wire" as of yet, but nothing else is getting the job done. I may
have to take it to someone with the proper equipment. Another poster
questioned length - it is going to be eleven sixteenths (spelled for
clarity, although a decimal would have worked G). I have tried
several methods of "scratching" the outside - not much success. I'll
succeed, but it may be due to someone elses help :-)
Thanks to everyone for all the posts. I'll post a followup shortly.
Ken.

Paul

Ken, this sounds like some type of tempered glass. I recall a
highschool assembly put on by, I think, GE. This was in the 1950's.
They demonstrated pounding a large spike into a wood timber using what
appeared to be a common flask from a chemical lab. Then when done,
just dropped a piece of carborundum into the flask and it shattered.
Very impressive!

Do you have the ability to aneal the glass tube? Then try one of the
cutting methods mentioned in other posts.

Paul

(Ken Sterling) wrote in message ws.com...
On 24 Jun 2004 15:07:00 -0700,
(pragmatist)
wrote:

[...]

Randy H.

Hi Ken,

You sure did get a lot of tips most are right,.... sorta. Being that your
cutting Pyrex, (Cornings brand name for a 33 expansion borosilicate glass),
( AKA, Kimax from Kimble, & Duran from Schott), (and most recently, Simax
and Cinex from ......you guessed it,.... China) These and Quartz glass are
considered a hard glass, meaning it takes alot of heat to soften it. They
also have a lower expansion rate. Things like Coke bottles or windows are a
soft glass. Actually there are about 50,000 formulas of glass on file at
Corning. Each and every glass has it's own working characteristics and
compatibilities. They can differ greatly with their coefficients of
expansion.

This is what makes the difference when trying to cut the glass with thermal
shock techniques. A string with lighter fluid will work on a coke bottle,
but it won't touch Pyrex. Scratching with a glass knife and putting a hot
rod on it will work as will using nicrom wire around it. However many things
come into play for different reasons and therefore these tricks are not good
for what you're trying to do. Basically because the piece your trying to cut
is so short. Also if the glass is not annealed will make a difference in the
outcome. Stress in the glass can make a crack run wild.

Because the piece is so short I am assuming that the ends need to be cut
square so to make a seal on the ends. There isn't much room for an o-ring or
compression fitting to work on the side walls.

The best way to get a square end that is not all chipped is with a diamond
wheel with about 220 grit or finer. Carborendom wheels will work good on
small diameter tubing , but not on large, the blade can drift and not cut
square. And always use water to cool the blade.

Tile saws will cut heavy wall tubes OK, but they will beat the hell out of
standard wall tubes. (a lot of chipping) Especially the ones with slots cut
in the blade.

Harbor Freight has a line of very cheap diamond wheels. But again they're
pretty rough for delicate cuts. They're better for ceramic tile and heavy
walls or chunks of glass.

The best blade I know of for your situation is one for Makita portable saws.
Makita offers two styles. One with slots in it and without. I have the one
without and it seems to make a pretty decent cut. It's about a 3 inch diam.
blade. Now if you only knew a good machinist that could turn up an arbor
shaft to adapt to Jacobs chuck on a drill or a flexible
shaft........Hummmmm.

Like cutting ceramic, you need to make a straight and steady cut. You cannot
bind or tweak the blade or it will break out the glass for sure. That's why
tile saws and glass saws usually have a carriage to hold the piece while you
cut.

If you still just want to scratch the glass to break it, use a piece of
tungsten carbide to make the scratch. Files are to coarse. You want to make
a deep, crisp, sharp scratch about 1/4 to 1/3 around the tube. Drill a hole
in a block of wood or 2x4 that is a snug fit on the tube. It should be just
deep enough so that the scratch is just above or flush with surface of the
block. Wet the scratch and pull back and away from the scratch. The wood
will give the leverage you can't get buy holding it. Using pliers you will
usually end up crushing the glass.

And if all else fails, Maybe I can refer you to someone in your area with a
glass saw. I have been a member of ASGS (American Scientific Glassblowers
Society) for 25 years.

Good luck,

Randy H.
SC Glass Tech.
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/randy2954/my_photos

Ken Sterling

[...]

Thanks, Randy, for all the good info. I have a small diamond blade on
its way to me, and I will turn up a nice little arbor to hold it. I
am planning on water cooling while cutting. Should I go completely
around the circumference several times, deeper each time, or simply
cut straight down through the glass with the blade? I'm thinking of
chucking the glass tube in the lathe, with the tube wrapped in a thin
sheet of rubber, and indicating it to center, then mounting the blade
in a dremel type tool on the toolpost, covering up everything involved
and using a water drip. Does this sound feasible? Everything you
mentioned in the post seems to be "holding true", and I did even try
the hole in the block of wood method, but still no luck. I realize,
now, that I'm going to have to cut clear through the tubing to get
what I need, and then dress up the ends a little bit if necessary to
get them square and smooth. This stuff is a little nasty to work with
and to date I haven't had much luck with any of the methods I've
tried. The diamond wheel will be my last attempt, then I'm off to
someone that has equipment to do this job. Again, I appreciate the
info and help.
Ken.

michael

Ken Sterling wrote:

[...]

I've had success using the lathe and a single mounted diamond.

michael

Jim Levie

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:16:17 +0000, Ken Sterling wrote:

[...]

The diamond blade should work. You want lots more than just a "water
drip". The saws I've used for cutting just about every variety of glass,
ceramics, and quartz (except tempered glass, which can't be cut) were
lubricated by a flow of water (lots!). We placed a copper tube, slit to
fit over the saw blade just above the cut and plumbed it to the lab water
supply.

I'd cut the tube all the way through rather than trying to score all the
way around. And I'd rig a slide table so that the tubing can be
handheld and hand fed into the blade. The way you are talking about doing
it you won't be able to feel the cut and may force it, which will result
in chipping/breaking. And hand holding the tubing gives it some "wiggle
room" and lessens the chances of breakage. Using this I've 19mm (.5mm
wall) quartz tubing for a Skylab crystal growing experiment.

If you need precise length dimensions and end squareness, consider cutting
the tubing about 10-20 thou long and then grinding to exact dimensions
using standard optical abrasives & techniques.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Randy H.

I'm thinking of
chucking the glass tube in the lathe, with the tube wrapped in a thin
sheet of rubber, and indicating it to center, then mounting the blade
in a dremel type tool on the toolpost, covering up everything involved
and using a water drip.

Hi Ken,

Your right on track. This is the best method to assure that your end is
square. Even better than a fancy glass saw! Just feed the saw blade in
slowly, don't force it through. You can cut a little faster at the start,
but slow up before you break through. You might want to slip a piece of wire
or wood dowel just inside the tube to catch the end as it pops off. You may
have a little chipping on the inside edge, but most of the surface of the
end will be OK.

If you use a heavy flow of water the blade will spray 360 degrees. You
might want to make a shield. A steady drip should be sufficient and help
keep the spray down. Just a long as you don't see the glass light up from
friction. If you don't use enough water it will burn the edge. This putts
stress in the glass causing it to crack.

If the blade is to coarse, you may have some saw marks on the ends form the
texture of the blade . This may be problem for a good seal if this is for
vacuum work. If this is the case, or if you have some minor chipping on the
edges you want to remove you can flat grind the ends. To do this it helps if
you put a slight chamfer on the outside edge using the side of the diamond
on the blade, or with sand paper or Emory cloth. To do the inside edge wrap
some Emory cloth around a dowel or anything round just to knock off the
sharp edge. This helps to keep the edges from grabbing and chipping out
more.

You can get piece of flat window glass to use as a lap table. (ask for some
scrap at the hardware store) To coarse grind the end down past the chipping
use about 150 grit silicon carbide grinding compound with water to make a
slurry. Use a figure 8 motion. Then use about a 320 grit as a finish lap.
Just make sure you clean everything thoroughly before using a finer grit
size. If this is for vacuum service go down another step to 600 grit. If you
don't have grinding compound try some wet sanding paper over the flat glass.