George E. Cawthon

Default cutting glass tubing

Yep, even the smallest trim saw will cut 1" diameter.

Koz wrote:

After reading all this over and all the methods that "might" work
I'd say take it to your local rock shop or any rockhound. The
diamond saw could whip out a dozen of these in short order without
all the headaches.

Koz

Stan Schaefer wrote:

(Ken Sterling) wrote in message
ws.com...

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
.625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't
touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the
outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't
"snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to
do
this?
Ken.

Is that 11/16" or 1 1/16"? Any Pyrex I've ever encountered would
scratch with a file and break cleanly, but I've not cut anything
quite
like what you describe for dimensions, that's almost gauge glass
thickness. I'd say it was time for a diamond wheel and a lot of
water
for cooling. I've also seen a jig for cutting thick-wall glass
tubing
for lasers using a hand hacksaw and a chunk of banding iron for a
blade. Abrasive compound was used for the actual cutting media.
Messy, any way you cut it.

Just thought of another way I'd seen for cutting big carboys and
bottles. You use a diamond and scribe all the way around your cut
area, wrap with nichrome and heat the area up with a Variac for
current control. Then take a wet rag to the scribed line and it
should crack through. Worth trying.

Stan