Tom Hubin

Default cutting glass tubing

Ken Sterling wrote:

Gang,
Got a piece of glass tubing (similar to Pyrex) which is .490 ID,
625OD and I need to cut a piece about 11/16 long. File won't touch
it, glass cutter won't do it, have been trying to score the outside
with a thin "cutoff wheel", which scores it, but the stuff won't "snap
off" as expected... just shatters, even past the score mark. Am I
going to have to cut completely through with the cutoff wheel to do
this?
Ken.

*****************************

Hello Ken,

I cut some 1/4 inch pyrex tube recently. Could not get a clean break so
I used the edge of a wet ceramic wheel at my local optician's place.
Sawed through with the edge of the wheel then used the wet wheel
circumference to smooth the glass cut.

Come to think of it, the optician had replaced his ceramic wheel with a
diamond wheel so that is what I used. But I would have preferred a
ceramic wheel. A ceramic wheel is larger but it just feels better to me.

The inside edge of the glass tube still has some burrs. Opticans call
them stars. I think a hand held cone shaped diamond or ceramic tool can
clean that up. Leftover stars are susceptible to breakage so best to
eliminate of possible.

Tom Hubin