Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe advice

Hello all,

I am considering adding a lathe to my growing collection of toys - make
that toolsg, and want some guidance on what to get. Scanning some
with it. The most important thing at first is to learn how to run a
lathe; it is getting to be time for me to do that. A mini-lathe would
probably be fine for starters, but I would likely want to remove the
training wheels after some practice.

I would want to turn dowels pins and other (probably small) parts for
assembling things that I design and build, and I would no doubt find
many uses for a lathe once I have the capability. I design and build
prototypes, so there would be many opportunities to use round parts.

There was a time when I wondered why anyone would want to cut threads on
a lathe, but I get it now. While I will no doubt end up winging it
other ways, I have a project that would be well suited to a round part
that just happens to have some threads on one end. I could use a dye,
but I would have to have a suitable diameter part with the right shape
on it, which is still really a lathe job. Total length there would be
eight inches or so, and the diameter about half an inch.

I suspect I would quickly outgrow a mini-lathe. I like the price of a
9x20, but am leaning toward the Enco 12x36. At 900 lbs, it should be
manageable with my hoist and pickup (thinking ahead to local moves, not
to mention getting it down the driveway grade and in the garage), the
price is (gulp!) ok, and it has a removable block. So far, the biggest
diameter I have in mind is three inches or so, but the gap sounds like a
nice idea.

Are the advantages of geared heads limited to convenience? Did any of
you buy the belt head and hate it?

It is prewired to 220, but can apparently be wired for 110. There are
no 220 outlets where I envision this living for the near future. Any
strong thoughts on whether I should fix that or is 110 ok?

It seems unlikely that I will shell out for a DRO. There have been a
few times when I will admit it would have been helpful to have my mill
equipped with one (mainly when clamps interfere with measuring), but
rules, calipers and the dials have served me well. I would much rather
put the money toward a larger mill, once I figure out what to buy. I
have looked, but I can't find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel that
weighs around 1000 lb Wading through the trade offs can wait.

What else should I be asking about a lathe?

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes,

Make sure you can use 5c collets on whatever you buy. Chucks suck for pins.
If you are working with 1 1/16" stuff and smaller collets are the way to go.

Makes sense.

Bigger tends to be better. You can do small stuff on a bigger lathe but it
is a pain to do big stuff on a small lathe even if it is possible.
It is prewired to 220, but can apparently be wired for 110. There are
no 220 outlets where I envision this living for the near future. Any
strong thoughts on whether I should fix that or is 110 ok?

That is going to keep you in the 1.5HP range. Since you like small stuff
that might not be much of an issue.

Ok. I coud always switch the wiring back to 220, right??? Sorry, but I
gotta ask.

It seems unlikely that I will shell out for a DRO. There have been a
few times when I will admit it would have been helpful to have my mill
equipped with one (mainly when clamps interfere with measuring), but
rules, calipers and the dials have served me well. I would much rather
put the money toward a larger mill, once I figure out what to buy. I
have looked, but I can't find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel that
weighs around 1000 lb Wading through the trade offs can wait.

A long travel dial indicator on a magnetic base will likely deal with stuff
you are making. Dro's are nice but I'd put one on the mill first.

You have answered the question I meant to ask: it is more important on a
lathe? Sounds like it's not. I will probably spend it elsewhere.

Make sure the ways are hardened. Does it have a taper attachment, steady
and follow rest?

Here is the (page 410) catalog page:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Comments are most welcome.

If it does metric / inch threading one unit of measurement
only works if you never unlock the half nuts.

Are you saying that the machine can be configured for one or the other,
but not both?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

Hello all,

[snip]

[...]

and follow rest? If it does metric / inch threading one unit of measurement
only works if you never unlock the half nuts.

hth,

Wes

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill
I have the lather machine to do your dreams with the c% collers and
chuckers too!
I was seller to ebayers for years witrh good feedback and friends to
return.
Still have sSOUTH bEND S TO GO WITH REBUILD WAYS ASN SCREWS PLSU
aLORES TOOLPOST WELL DONE
cONTECT ME TO LEearn aret of wIRING PHAse converter to scraping wayers
and turning poolcues.
Cordially to my friends.
Honest Aa bABIN
"iSO ())) CERTIFIED JOB SHOP rEBUILTER OF mACHINE tOOLS
cUSTOM pOOL cUES 7 cOVERS
k_mART CASHIER !@ fOR tHE hOLIDAYS
bRISTOL cON
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Oct 9, 11:50?pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Bill Schwab :
Hello all,

I am considering adding a lathe to my growing collection of toys - make
that toolsg, and want some guidance on what to get. Scanning some
with it. The most important thing at first is to learn how to run a
lathe; it is getting to be time for me to do that. A mini-lathe would
probably be fine for starters, but I would likely want to remove the
training wheels after some practice.

Understood.

I would want to turn dowels pins and other (probably small) parts for
assembling things that I design and build, and I would no doubt find
many uses for a lathe once I have the capability. I design and build
prototypes, so there would be many opportunities to use round parts.

Hmmm ... dowel pins are usually hardened and ground to final
dimension. Now taper pins are mild steel (or at least the ones which I
have used so far), but for those you need matching taper pin reamers.

There was a time when I wondered why anyone would want to cut threads on
a lathe, but I get it now. While I will no doubt end up winging it
other ways, I have a project that would be well suited to a round part
that just happens to have some threads on one end. I could use a dye,
but I would have to have a suitable diameter part with the right shape
on it, which is still really a lathe job. Total length there would be
eight inches or so, and the diameter about half an inch.

Hmmm ... with that ratio of diameter to length, you should make
sure that your lathe comes with a steady rest and a follower rest,
because that length at that diameter will flex when working out near the
end -- unless you are supporting it between centers.

I suspect I would quickly outgrow a mini-lathe. I like the price of a
9x20, but am leaning toward the Enco 12x36. At 900 lbs, it should be
manageable with my hoist and pickup (thinking ahead to local moves, not
to mention getting it down the driveway grade and in the garage), the
price is (gulp!) ok, and it has a removable block. So far, the biggest
diameter I have in mind is three inches or so, but the gap sounds like a
nice idea.

One which we had at work had a gap bed, but the professional
machinist in our shop refused to allow it to be removed, saying that you
could never get it back in place with sufficient precision. (This was a
Jet from Taiwan back around 1985-1990 I think.)

Are the advantages of geared heads limited to convenience? Did any of
you buy the belt head and hate it?

I have a belt driven Clausing 12x24" machine and am quite happy
with it. One advantage to the belts is that you have a safety fuse in
that the belt will usually slip before the machine is damaged when
something goes wrong.

It is prewired to 220, but can apparently be wired for 110. There are
no 220 outlets where I envision this living for the near future. Any
strong thoughts on whether I should fix that or is 110 ok?

What is the horsepower of that motor? My Clausing, with a 1-1/2
HP motor, would pop the circuit breaker when starting a bit too often
when wired for 120 VAC. I re-wired it to 240 VAC and ran a longer cord
to an existing 240 VAC outlet, and have had no problems since. (You
draw half the current for the same horsepower from 240 VAC compared to
120 VAC, and the 120 VAC staring surge is just a bit too close to the
breaker size for the typical outlet. So -- I would have a 240 VAC
outlet installed -- or do it yourself if you have the skills and won't
violate local codes.

It seems unlikely that I will shell out for a DRO. There have been a
few times when I will admit it would have been helpful to have my mill
equipped with one (mainly when clamps interfere with measuring), but
rules, calipers and the dials have served me well. I would much rather
put the money toward a larger mill, once I figure out what to buy. I
have looked, but I can't find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel that
weighs around 1000 lb Wading through the trade offs can wait.

Why would you need a 12" cross travel on a 10" lathe?
Typically, the tool only needs to move half of the swing (5" on a 10"
lathe, or 6" on a 12" lathe), but a bit more will help free you from
having to be too picky in your tool position so you can reach from the
maximum diameter to the center. (You might want to go 1/8" past the
center to be sure that you have turned off the tit left, and perhaps a
bit more if you are running the lathe in reverse and turning the ID of a
workpiece.

What else should I be asking about a lathe?

What kind of attachment method for chucks to the spindle. If it
is a threaded spindle and the chucks simply screw on, you have to be
very careful when turning in reverse, or the chuck will unscrew under
power.

My Clausing came with a 2-1/4x8 threaded spindle, and now has a
L-00 spindle instead, so things are a lot more comfortable. There are
also the D-? series (also called Camlock) which are similarly good for
reverse turning.

You want the lathe to have separate power feed -- both across
and longitudinal, so you have fine feeds available.

You want a quick-change gearbox, or you are likely to not bother
to set the speed to what is most appropriate for your job.

You want the spindle to be capable of handling collets (5C is a
good size -- up to 1" through the spindle, and up to 1-1/8" for short
workpieces). This will be a lot better for doing your small parts like
the dowel pins. If you expect to be making a lot of small parts from
rod stock, you want room past the end of the spindle to support the
excess rod so it does not start whipping -- which can be quite
dangerous.

The collet closer will be far quicker to use if you get a lever
style closer instead of the handwheel style.

And for making lots of small parts from rod stock, a bed turret
and appropriate turret tools (Geometric die heads, box tools, and
various other things) can speed up production significantly.

A taper attachment is useful if you expect to *make* taper pins,
but you can buy them in gross lots for very little, so I would not
bother, unless you need a custom size. However, there are other times
when a taper attachment is useful as well.

Check the dials for the cross feed and the compound. They
should be something even for a full turn, like 0.100" or 0.050". I have
seen ones which instead are 0.127" for a full turn, which means that the
leadscrew is metric, and it has simply been calibrated in inch
measurements. This is particularly a problem when you need to make
multiple turns of the handwheel. You'll need a calculator to figure out
how many turns and partial turns to move the distance which you wish.
(Here is where a DRO can make up for the awkward choice of leadscrew
pitch -- just ignore the dial and read motion from the DRO.)

Of course, if you are expecting to do mostly metric work, get a
lathe whose dials and thread cutting are set up in metric units. In
particular, metric threads on an imperial lathe, or vice versa are a
serious pain, even with the set of transposing gears. In particular,
your threading dial won't be of any use when crossing systems. (Of
course, there are machines with two leadscrews which can cut imperial or
metric threads without problems -- but this is talking about a lot more
money than you seem to be thinking of.

Check how slow the slowest spindle speed is. If you are cutting
a coarse pitch thread, you want as slow a spindle motion as you can get.
IIRC, my Clausing goes down to 55 RPM at the bottom. Even that can be
exciting if you are threading a coarse pitch to a shoulder.

I'm sure that I will think of lots of other things to say as
soon as I send this off.

Best of luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Bill Schwab :
Wes,

[ ... ]

It is prewired to 220, but can apparently be wired for 110. There are
no 220 outlets where I envision this living for the near future. Any
strong thoughts on whether I should fix that or is 110 ok?

That is going to keep you in the 1.5HP range. Since you like small stuff
that might not be much of an issue.

Ok. I coud always switch the wiring back to 220, right??? Sorry, but I
gotta ask.

Yes -- and hopefully the manual will tell you how to make the
changes -- as long as you have the original motor. With a different
motor, you may need to work it out between the manual for the lathe and
the manual for the motor.

Note, BTW, that while they say that it has a reversing switch,
with a single phase motor (e.g. 120 VAC or 240 VAC wiring on the motor
which they offer) you have to wait for the spindle to slow down almost
to a stop before switching it for the other direction. If you move the
switch quickly, the motor will keep running in the original direction,
because at speed the start winding (which is what determines the
direction) is disengaged by the centrifugal switch in the motor.

You can get instant reversing only with a three phase motor, and
if you are worried about getting 240 VAC for the lathe, you certainly
don't have three phase available. There are ways to work around it, but
we can cover those later if you opt to go to a three-phase motor.

[ ... ]

Make sure the ways are hardened.

Aha -- a good point which I forgot to mention.

Does it have a taper attachment, steady
and follow rest?

Here is the (page 410) catalog page:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Comments are most welcome.

Hmmm ... hardened bed ways. Good.

Spindle bore is big enough so you should be able to use 5C
collets with the right adaptor.

2-1/4x8 threaded spindle -- a D-? Camlock spindle nose would be
a better choice.

Steady rest and follower rest are both included -- good.

Pitch the 4-way toolpost and put on a quick-change wedge style
toolpost -- Ideally Aloris BXA series, but if your money is getting
tight, go for the Phase-II 200 series.

Metric change gears -- but you will find metric threading a
serious pain.

Cross-slide travel is a little over 1/2 the maximum size, which
should be fine, as it will reach from the OD to the center, which is as
far as you need to go.

Tailstock taper is only 2MT, while 3MT is a better fit for a 12"
lathe.

50 RPM -- a bit lower than my Clausing, so you have a chance
with threading coarse threads. Practice timing a few times first away
from the workpiece and chuck.

1-1/2 HP motor -- you will want to get 240 VAC wiring in your
shop.

You may want to get the upgrade to the Baldor motor -- I've
heard bad stories about the default motors. Are you getting the one
with the floor cabinet, or the bench lathe? Apparently the upgrade for
the motor is only available for the bench lathe (perhaps problems
fitting the Baldor in the pedestal).

No clue as to what the dial markings are.

And I would be interested to see what threads it will cut.
They only give the coarsest and finest, plus a count. One thread which
I am glad that my Clausing has but which many other machines do not have
is 27 TPI (used for microphone mount threads and for electrical lamp
fixture threads).

If it does metric / inch threading one unit of measurement
only works if you never unlock the half nuts.

Are you saying that the machine can be configured for one or the other,
but not both?

The longitudinal leadscrew is either an imperial thread or a
metric thread. With the transposing gears (which they say are included)
you can *cut* the opposite (I gather that this is imperial by default,
and metric through the change gears), but you have to keep the half-nuts
engaged from the start to the finish, and reverse the spindle (with the
cutting tool backed away from the workpiece) to back up for the next
pass. With the native thread series, you can open the half-nuts and
quickly crank the carriage back to the start, and then observe the
threading dial and close the half nuts at the right time -- a much
simpler task.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:50:50 -0400, Bill Schwab
wrote:

Hello all,

nice idea.

Are the advantages of geared heads limited to convenience? Did any of
you buy the belt head and hate it?

I have a lovely old hercus which is an australian southbend clone.
the belt drives mean that I can go out in the workshop late at night
and turn to my hearts content and the neighbours hear nothing.

I've actually put off buying a geared lathe because of the effect the
gear noise would have on the neighbours at night.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

Wes,

Make sure you can use 5c collets on whatever you buy. Chucks suck for pins.
If you are working with 1 1/16" stuff and smaller collets are the way to go.

Makes sense.

Once you have used collets for small stuff you never want to use anything
else. I'd ask them what it would cost to get into using them up front. I
couldn't figure it out browsing their site.

I'm snipping away things since Don did a fine job answering questions.

It seems unlikely that I will shell out for a DRO. There have been a
few times when I will admit it would have been helpful to have my mill
equipped with one (mainly when clamps interfere with measuring), but
rules, calipers and the dials have served me well. I would much rather
put the money toward a larger mill, once I figure out what to buy. I
have looked, but I can't find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel that
weighs around 1000 lb Wading through the trade offs can wait.

A long travel dial indicator on a magnetic base will likely deal with stuff
you are making. Dro's are nice but I'd put one on the mill first.

You have answered the question I meant to ask: it is more important on a
lathe? Sounds like it's not. I will probably spend it elsewhere.

Else where is where you should spend it. I'm not so thrilled about that
screw on chuck. I have a L00 which I think has fallen out of favor since
the cam lock is much easier to deal with. But you know your budget and you
have to live within that.

Make sure the ways are hardened. Does it have a taper attachment, steady
and follow rest?

It doesn't have a taper attachment. If you do short stuff, it would not
matter since you can use the compound.

You have to get your feet wet, you can learn on this and if you find it
suits your needs then great. If you find you want something more capable at
a later time you deal with it then. You might end up with two lathes or
sell the first to help swing the second.

Out in the garage I have a delta contractor saw. I really wanted a cabinet
saw which cost more. As it has turned out, based on my frequency of use the
contractor saw was good enough.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN,

[...]

I tricked you by talking mills in the middle of a lathe post - sorry.
My point was simply that I am struggling with what to give up in buying
another mill. If I could find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel, I
would probably stop struggling. Perhaps that next best thing is the
current BPs (I probably won't like the price tag though??), which I am
told weigh right around a ton, and have a 12 inch cross travel. The
price and weight of benchtop knees are attractive, but the typical 6
inch cross travel would be a "big" step backward for me.

I am still absorbing the recent responses re a lathe. Thanks to all,
and more questions will be forthcoming.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Bill Schwab :
DoN,

[ ... ]

Why would you need a 12" cross travel on a 10" lathe?

[ ... ]

I tricked you by talking mills in the middle of a lathe post - sorry.
My point was simply that I am struggling with what to give up in buying
another mill. If I could find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel, I
would probably stop struggling.

Hmm ... what is the '8' of the 8x36 then? And what you are
calling "cross-travel" I would have expected to be called "Y-axis" on a
milling machine.

Perhaps that next best thing is the
current BPs (I probably won't like the price tag though??), which I am
told weigh right around a ton, and have a 12 inch cross travel.

Some of them do, but not all. The Series-I has 12x24" (Y x X)
and has chrome plated ways so they last a lot longer. I'm not sure
whether the current line of Bridgeport (now from Hardinge, IIRC) still
include any smaller.

The
price and weight of benchtop knees are attractive, but the typical 6
inch cross travel would be a "big" step backward for me.

Understood.

I am still absorbing the recent responses re a lathe. Thanks to all,
and more questions will be forthcoming.

O.K. Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11 Oct 2007 04:01:07 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:
snip
Why would you need a 12" cross travel on a 10" lathe?

snip
If you are using the lathe as a mill it makes sense.

click on
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...2894&category=
several more available
for bigger lathes click on
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Some of the old time shops used an extra compound with an angle
plate. We made one of these in class.
http://mcduffee-associates.us/machin...theMilling.htm

Can be a life saver when space/funds are limited.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
[...]

Have you considered the lathes from harbor freight? Gear head for less money
with D spindle.

or

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN,

According to Bill Schwab :
DoN,

[ ... ]

Why would you need a 12" cross travel on a 10" lathe?

[ ... ]

I tricked you by talking mills in the middle of a lathe post - sorry.
My point was simply that I am struggling with what to give up in buying
another mill. If I could find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel, I
would probably stop struggling.

Hmm ... what is the '8' of the 8x36 then? And what you are
calling "cross-travel" I would have expected to be called "Y-axis" on a
milling machine.

Same thing. I have seen cross-travel more often than Y, but that might
just be the particular catalogs I have on hand.

The particular mill I am referencing is Enco's model 100-1525. 8x36 is
the table size; the travels are 23.5x9.45. Both numbers exceed what I
have now, and it should be a step up. I was going to insist on getting
to 12 inches in the Y direction, but shaving 1000 lb off the machine
might be worth something to me. Iggie built a Clausing in the back of
truck but won't touch a ton - that tells me something.

Unless my mill-drill explodes, I won't buy a mill very soon. But, an
upcoming shelving task dovetails with selection of a work positioner,
other work (plus curiosity) has me thinking about a lathe. Apart from
simply being a metal junkie, it seems smart to think about what my shop
might look like in a few years. Questions like "if you later buy that
mill, will you need or want that much lathe" come to mind.

I don't mind spending money on things that I will use to advantage; I
hate wasting it.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:
Are the advantages of geared heads limited to convenience? Did any of
you buy the belt head and hate it?

I have a lovely old hercus which is an australian southbend clone.
the belt drives mean that I can go out in the workshop late at night
and turn to my hearts content and the neighbours hear nothing.

I've actually put off buying a geared lathe because of the effect the
gear noise would have on the neighbours at night.

That's good to know. The belt drive is also lighter and cheaper than gears.

Thanks!

Bill

lathe advice Udo Rumpf Metalworking 8 April 25th 06 12:38 AM
lathe advice... ted harris Metalworking 13 January 25th 06 09:27 AM
more lathe advice... Karl Townsend Metalworking 3 January 23rd 06 01:02 PM
LAthe Advice? HotRod Metalworking 69 May 20th 05 08:14 PM
Need advice on lathe purchase. Harry Metalworking 19 February 11th 04 08:43 PM