Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default Lathe advice

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Wes,

Make sure you can use 5c collets on whatever you buy. Chucks suck for
pins.
If you are working with 1 1/16" stuff and smaller collets are the way to
go.

Makes sense.

Bigger tends to be better. You can do small stuff on a bigger lathe but
it
is a pain to do big stuff on a small lathe even if it is possible.
It is prewired to 220, but can apparently be wired for 110. There are
no 220 outlets where I envision this living for the near future. Any
strong thoughts on whether I should fix that or is 110 ok?

That is going to keep you in the 1.5HP range. Since you like small stuff
that might not be much of an issue.

Ok. I coud always switch the wiring back to 220, right??? Sorry, but I
gotta ask.

It seems unlikely that I will shell out for a DRO. There have been a
few times when I will admit it would have been helpful to have my mill
equipped with one (mainly when clamps interfere with measuring), but
rules, calipers and the dials have served me well. I would much rather
put the money toward a larger mill, once I figure out what to buy. I
have looked, but I can't find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel that
weighs around 1000 lb Wading through the trade offs can wait.

A long travel dial indicator on a magnetic base will likely deal with
stuff
you are making. Dro's are nice but I'd put one on the mill first.

You have answered the question I meant to ask: it is more important on a
lathe? Sounds like it's not. I will probably spend it elsewhere.

Make sure the ways are hardened. Does it have a taper attachment, steady
and follow rest?

Here is the (page 410) catalog page:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Comments are most welcome.

If it does metric / inch threading one unit of measurement
only works if you never unlock the half nuts.

Are you saying that the machine can be configured for one or the other,
but not both?

Thanks,

Bill

Have you considered the lathes from harbor freight? Gear head for less money
with D spindle.

or

Richard W.