Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Lathe advice

According to Bill Schwab :
DoN,

[ ... ]

Why would you need a 12" cross travel on a 10" lathe?

[ ... ]

I tricked you by talking mills in the middle of a lathe post - sorry.
My point was simply that I am struggling with what to give up in buying
another mill. If I could find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel, I
would probably stop struggling.

Hmm ... what is the '8' of the 8x36 then? And what you are
calling "cross-travel" I would have expected to be called "Y-axis" on a
milling machine.

Perhaps that next best thing is the
current BPs (I probably won't like the price tag though??), which I am
told weigh right around a ton, and have a 12 inch cross travel.

Some of them do, but not all. The Series-I has 12x24" (Y x X)
and has chrome plated ways so they last a lot longer. I'm not sure
whether the current line of Bridgeport (now from Hardinge, IIRC) still
include any smaller.

The
price and weight of benchtop knees are attractive, but the typical 6
inch cross travel would be a "big" step backward for me.

Understood.

I am still absorbing the recent responses re a lathe. Thanks to all,
and more questions will be forthcoming.

O.K. Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564