Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe advice

Hello all,

I am considering adding a lathe to my growing collection of toys - make
that toolsg, and want some guidance on what to get. Scanning some
with it. The most important thing at first is to learn how to run a
lathe; it is getting to be time for me to do that. A mini-lathe would
probably be fine for starters, but I would likely want to remove the
training wheels after some practice.

I would want to turn dowels pins and other (probably small) parts for
assembling things that I design and build, and I would no doubt find
many uses for a lathe once I have the capability. I design and build
prototypes, so there would be many opportunities to use round parts.

There was a time when I wondered why anyone would want to cut threads on
a lathe, but I get it now. While I will no doubt end up winging it
other ways, I have a project that would be well suited to a round part
that just happens to have some threads on one end. I could use a dye,
but I would have to have a suitable diameter part with the right shape
on it, which is still really a lathe job. Total length there would be
eight inches or so, and the diameter about half an inch.

I suspect I would quickly outgrow a mini-lathe. I like the price of a
9x20, but am leaning toward the Enco 12x36. At 900 lbs, it should be
manageable with my hoist and pickup (thinking ahead to local moves, not
to mention getting it down the driveway grade and in the garage), the
price is (gulp!) ok, and it has a removable block. So far, the biggest
diameter I have in mind is three inches or so, but the gap sounds like a
nice idea.

Are the advantages of geared heads limited to convenience? Did any of
you buy the belt head and hate it?

It is prewired to 220, but can apparently be wired for 110. There are
no 220 outlets where I envision this living for the near future. Any
strong thoughts on whether I should fix that or is 110 ok?

It seems unlikely that I will shell out for a DRO. There have been a
few times when I will admit it would have been helpful to have my mill
equipped with one (mainly when clamps interfere with measuring), but
rules, calipers and the dials have served me well. I would much rather
put the money toward a larger mill, once I figure out what to buy. I
have looked, but I can't find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel that
weighs around 1000 lb Wading through the trade offs can wait.

What else should I be asking about a lathe?

Bill

lathe advice Udo Rumpf Metalworking 8 April 25th 06 12:38 AM
lathe advice... ted harris Metalworking 13 January 25th 06 09:27 AM
more lathe advice... Karl Townsend Metalworking 3 January 23rd 06 01:02 PM
LAthe Advice? HotRod Metalworking 69 May 20th 05 08:14 PM
Need advice on lathe purchase. Harry Metalworking 19 February 11th 04 08:43 PM