Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Lathe advice

DoN,

It seems unlikely that I will shell out for a DRO. There have been a
few times when I will admit it would have been helpful to have my mill
equipped with one (mainly when clamps interfere with measuring), but
rules, calipers and the dials have served me well. I would much rather
put the money toward a larger mill, once I figure out what to buy. I
have looked, but I can't find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel that
weighs around 1000 lb Wading through the trade offs can wait.

Why would you need a 12" cross travel on a 10" lathe?
Typically, the tool only needs to move half of the swing (5" on a 10"
lathe, or 6" on a 12" lathe), but a bit more will help free you from
having to be too picky in your tool position so you can reach from the
maximum diameter to the center. (You might want to go 1/8" past the
center to be sure that you have turned off the tit left, and perhaps a
bit more if you are running the lathe in reverse and turning the ID of a
workpiece.

I tricked you by talking mills in the middle of a lathe post - sorry.
My point was simply that I am struggling with what to give up in buying
another mill. If I could find an 8x36 with a 12 inch cross travel, I
would probably stop struggling. Perhaps that next best thing is the
current BPs (I probably won't like the price tag though??), which I am
told weigh right around a ton, and have a 12 inch cross travel. The
price and weight of benchtop knees are attractive, but the typical 6
inch cross travel would be a "big" step backward for me.

I am still absorbing the recent responses re a lathe. Thanks to all,
and more questions will be forthcoming.

Bill