Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT -- Lexmark Optra E312L printer grabs paper

My Lexmark optr E312L lser printer served me well for maybe 4
years. Mostly to print one page documents, 2-3 per day at most.

Lately, it has developed a problem, which is that it grabs several
sheets instead of one, and then sometimes jams if it grabs too
many. Any idea what might be the issue? Could it be that the paper is
wrong?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:59:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus4185 quickly quoth:

My Lexmark optr E312L lser printer served me well for maybe 4
years. Mostly to print one page documents, 2-3 per day at most.

Lately, it has developed a problem, which is that it grabs several
sheets instead of one, and then sometimes jams if it grabs too
many. Any idea what might be the issue? Could it be that the paper is
wrong?

Pull the case off (no easy task on most printers) and clean the rubber
parts with alcohol. Avoid the rubbing alcohol with glycerin in it.

Who has experience with the new color laser printers?

I'm looking for a new laser printer and am considering a color laser.
Does anyone have any info for me? Models I'm looking at are the HP
3600n, Oki C5500n and C5800N, and the Samsung CLP600N. I've heard
horror stories about toner problems with the HP 2605.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm looking for a new laser printer and am considering a color laser.
Does anyone have any info for me? Models I'm looking at are the HP
3600n, Oki C5500n and C5800N, and the Samsung CLP600N. I've heard
horror stories about toner problems with the HP 2605.

No experience at all, except looking at the combined prices of either
three or four separate cartridges shudder.

If you can write off the cost, go for it. I can't.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:39:53 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:59:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus4185 quickly quoth:

My Lexmark optr E312L lser printer served me well for maybe 4
years. Mostly to print one page documents, 2-3 per day at most.

Lately, it has developed a problem, which is that it grabs several
sheets instead of one, and then sometimes jams if it grabs too
many. Any idea what might be the issue? Could it be that the paper is
wrong?

Pull the case off (no easy task on most printers) and clean the rubber
parts with alcohol. Avoid the rubbing alcohol with glycerin in it.

I have isopropyl alcohol. I will check it out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 11:39 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

Picked up a CLP300N at the beginning of the year for SWMBO. It
seems pretty good.. the cartridges are small and not as expensive as
some, so it looks pretty good for occasional use. Of course that means
they run out faster if you do a lot of printing. Quite small and
cheap.
It's by no means a photo printer, but okay for 'colorful' printing,
just not
'color' printing. Most important for this application, it's physically
small. Did tend to stink a fair bit for the first while. I won't buy
another
inkjet (too many expensive cartridges dried up on me). The paper tray
system seems a bit weird. If you don't need Ethernet, it's even
cheaper,
about $250. Beware, like most it comes with "starter" cartridges that
are not even full. 8-( Unfortunately, you can't yet buy a tabloid/A3
color laser for anything resembling a reasonable price ($3K-$6K).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

speff wrote:
Unfortunately, you can't yet buy a tabloid/A3
color laser for anything resembling a reasonable price ($3K-$6K).

Heh heh! I saw a color laser sitting on our loading dock, next to the
dumpster. This is where people put stuff too good to trash, but no
longer needed. But, I figured something HAD to be wrong with it. It
was still there the 2nd day, so I reluctantly dragged it home, figurinbg
if it was seriously busted I'd just strip it for all the shafts, gears,
belts, bearings, etc. that the thing was FULL of. Way more than a
monochrome laser printer.

Anyway, I got it home and was astounded that it almost worked. It semed
to start printing in the middle of the page, and the output was smeared.
After two days of net research, I hit the mother lode, a site
(fixyourprinter.com) that descibed the exact symptom. There was a
little felt/rubber pad that absorbs the bump when a solenoid relaxes,
and it gets pushed out of position by operation. I had to tear the
whole thing apart to get to the solenoid, but it was just like they
said, I put the pad back where it belonged, and the printer produces
GREAT color images on ordinary paper. I have yet to try it on
clay-coated paper, but I suspect it will look even better.

I also found out on that site how to defeat the elaborate
refill-prevention scheme they use (blowable fuses in every cartridge)
that counts pages and kills your cartridges before they are actually empty.

The printer is a Minolta/QMS 2200, I looked up the street price and was
surprised it was so cheap, about $600 at office max.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:59:23 -0500, Ignoramus4185
wrote:

My Lexmark optr E312L lser printer served me well for maybe 4
years. Mostly to print one page documents, 2-3 per day at most.

Lately, it has developed a problem, which is that it grabs several
sheets instead of one, and then sometimes jams if it grabs too
many. Any idea what might be the issue? Could it be that the paper is
wrong?

Did you recently change to a different paper supply? Some
paper likes to stick together.

I have some nice (26 lb bright white) paper that was
originally bought for my inkjet that does exactly that in my
Brother HL-5140 Laser. The cheapo Office Max 20 lb paper
that came with it (demo model) worked fine. So I just single
sheet load this stuff when I want a really nice printout. It
seems to be a static cling type of problem.

I used to service the old dot matrix printers and paper from
different sources made a big difference back then too. If
you still have some paper around that worked good I would
try some tests with it if cleaning up the rollers doesn't
help.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

correction

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've been very happy with my Epson Aculaser CX11NF. I've had it for
17 months now with no problems at all. It's a all in one type unit
with Ethernet capability so it might be more than you're looking for.
It does a pretty good job of printing pictures on plain paper. It
doesn't work on the old inkjet type photo paper I have on hand. I've
not looked for a laser compatible photo paper yet since it does well
enough for my needs on plain paper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Leon Fisk :
wrote:

My Lexmark optr E312L lser printer served me well for maybe 4
years. Mostly to print one page documents, 2-3 per day at most.

Lately, it has developed a problem, which is that it grabs several
sheets instead of one, and then sometimes jams if it grabs too
many. Any idea what might be the issue? Could it be that the paper is
wrong?

Did you recently change to a different paper supply? Some
paper likes to stick together.

Or -- is the humidity higher than usual where the printer it?
(A lot of that going around the country right now.) The higher
humidity could cause paper layers to stick together.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I decided to buy another printer, as I am tired of this one. I bought
a used HP 4050N with 78k printed pages count, from a local ebay
seller. The one we have at work has about 180k pages and is still
going strong.

It works much better than lexmark, prints a lot faster etc. Comparing
them is like comparing a harbor freight mini-mill to a Bridgeport.

It set up under my linux in under 2 minutes using
system-config-printer. Works great without eveh having to reload my
firefox, etc. This new printer is networked with regular Ethernet.

Indeed, DoN, the humidity is higher right now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
correction

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

Thanks, I did a google search before posting, but it led me
astray. That is the correct URL, and a really wonderful resource!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:51:43 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Wayne Cook quickly quoth:

wrote:

Who has experience with the new color laser printers?

I'm looking for a new laser printer and am considering a color laser.
Does anyone have any info for me? Models I'm looking at are the HP
3600n, Oki C5500n and C5800N, and the Samsung CLP600N. I've heard
horror stories about toner problems with the HP 2605.

I've been very happy with my Epson Aculaser CX11NF. I've had it for
17 months now with no problems at all. It's a all in one type unit
with Ethernet capability so it might be more than you're looking for.
It does a pretty good job of printing pictures on plain paper. It
doesn't work on the old inkjet type photo paper I have on hand. I've
not looked for a laser compatible photo paper yet since it does well
enough for my needs on plain paper.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Samsung CLP600N now. I shied away from
the HP 3600n when I saw the 100W idling power and the $160 toner cart
prices. The Samsung consumes just 35W, is 1/3 cheaper outright and for
consumables, and has PS drivers.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
-- Johann K. Lavater
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 2:53 pm, Jon Elson wrote:
speff wrote:

[...]

Not tabloid/A3 though. ;-)

I also resist considering a printer that weights more than I do, just
get B size drawings out of the thing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Be sure to compare price per page on the toner. Yes my refills cost a
good bit but I got nearly a year out of the first partially filled
black cartridge that came with the printer. The full cartridge that's
in there now will probably last me a couple of years or more. I've
also had to replace only one of the color cartridges since buying it.
The others are showing low toner but they've been doing that for 6
months and are still working.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 09:17:11 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Wayne Cook quickly quoth:

wrote:

[...]

Ayup, thanks. I do look at total cost of ownership.

Two different Canuckistani firms offer the refill kits, complet with
tool and smart chips, to refill all four carts for 4,000 sheets each.
Cost is just about the same as a new single cart from HP.

The original 2,000 sheet carts should last me a long while. I was
getting about 3,500 sheets out of the old HP5P and have put only 5 new
carts in it in 12-13 years now.

--
The ancient and curious thing called religion, as it shows itself in the
modern world, is often so overladen with excrescences and irrelevancies
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd look at the cost of the refills. That might be the telling story.
A difference in looks or model might be a long and high cost.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 07:26:16 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Ayup, thanks. I do look at total cost of ownership.

Two different Canuckistani firms offer the refill kits, complet with
tool and smart chips, to refill all four carts for 4,000 sheets each.
Cost is just about the same as a new single cart from HP.

The original 2,000 sheet carts should last me a long while. I was
getting about 3,500 sheets out of the old HP5P and have put only 5 new
carts in it in 12-13 years now.

Ok. Just wanted to make sure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11957 wrote:

I decided to buy another printer, as I am tired of this one. I bought a
used HP 4050N with 78k printed pages count, from a local ebay seller.
The one we have at work has about 180k pages and is still going strong.

It's easy to add a duplex unit to that printer, like at
which for large documents cuts paper use in half, and also
makes it much easier to print booklets.

Linux CUPS controls duplex output via "lpoptions -o sides=one-sided",
"lpoptions -o sides=two-sided-long-edge", etc.

--
-jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:02:39 -0500, James Waldby wrote:
Ignoramus11957 wrote:

I decided to buy another printer, as I am tired of this one. I bought a
used HP 4050N with 78k printed pages count, from a local ebay seller.
The one we have at work has about 180k pages and is still going strong.

It's easy to add a duplex unit to that printer, like at
which for large documents cuts paper use in half, and also
makes it much easier to print booklets.

Linux CUPS controls duplex output via "lpoptions -o sides=one-sided",
"lpoptions -o sides=two-sided-long-edge", etc.

Yes, it is very interesting. I would use the duplex mode for big
documents only. Accidentally, I was looking at some duplexers today.

I added those CUPS options to my notes file so that I can use them
later if I do get a duplexer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Who has experience with the new color laser printers?

I'm looking for a new laser printer and am considering a color laser.
Does anyone have any info for me? Models I'm looking at are the HP
3600n,OkiC5500nand C5800N, and the Samsung CLP600N.

I am currently using the OKI C5800LDN for the last 6months. Prior to
this I had a Minolta 7300.

When purchasing the OKI C5800LDN I did not limit myself to price, or
any other limit. I wanted the best picture quality, speed, ease of
use, and most improtantly the availability of compatible replacement
toner (and ease of refill to keep my printing costs down.)

Pros:
DUPLEXING - Especially at the realatively cheap price of this color
laser this was a huge plus. I was facing a $450 add on for my
Minolta. 75% of what I printed needed to be duplexed and manual
duplexing (printing odd then even and alot of thought not to screw up
the 100 pages I already half printed by not getting the order right or
forgetting to pull out a page on odd numbered books was a waste of
time for me) now that the OKI does this for me I actually find I
duplex just about everything and use it far more then I ever thought
(99.5% of the time) like quick web page printing for later reading
etc. and even better there are less pages to mis-place (heck just the
cost saving in paper with 4 kids and the wife printing to it has been
great.)

VERY GLOSSY TONNER - I print allot of bound photo books for clients
and flyers etc. the glossy tonner really adds an aura of
professionalism in the look and feel that I was willing to accept the
lesser resolution and infact my clients seem to be more pleased with
the final product and easilly look past the resolution shortcomings.

NETWORK READY - This was a must for me as there are over 5 computers
here and i needed all to easilly print to it from throughout the house
and also did not want to dedicate a computer to be constantly on as a
printer share and have had issues in the past with dodgy external usb
or parralell print servers that were never 100% reliable and at times
limited the functionality available of the printer. etwork set-up was
a breeze and has been solid with absolutly no complaints.

SPEED - time is everything and I am often very impatient. The last
thing I wanted was to go backwards in speed from the minolta and find
something fairly comprable. In terms of speed I looked at two things
color print speed for the book pages which are close to 85% color
photo coverage and no less then 50 pages per print job, and secondly I
looked at first print out from sleep mode for personal familly use as
kids do not understand having to wait for warm-up:

COST OF CONSUMABLES- refil toner is readilly available online and
simple to refill. I have not had issues with the glossy tonner from
dubber.com. There are also drum rebuild kits which will reduce this
cost as well. (I have printed now well over 10,000 pages most with
over 50% coverage and have saved enough in consumables costs over the
Minolta to buy another.) The Minolta 7300 there was never refill
toner or genaric cartridges available due presumably to the complex
fine toner formulation, and name brand toner is expensive.

SIZE - this was important to my wife as the printer sits on a shelf in
what was her side of the closet. nice small footprint and no doors
etc. for jam removal on the sides or rear.

PAPER HANDLING - This one was important to me not so much the path or
the limits on twists and bends but the fact that if I print 10 coppies
of something and 10 more tomorrow all 20 will be printed in exactly
the same spot on the paper without deviation - especially important
for lable printing but also again when I bind my printed books slight
differances become very noticeable. (based on my disgust with Lexmark
inkjets for this very reason, I may not have given the Lexmark lasers
a 100% fair shake in my review)

VALUE - this is a quality printer for the price the menues are smple
yet robust the build quality feels alot more sturdy then alot of the
ones I looked at and it is feature packed - you really get alot of
reliable printer for your money

Cons:
Print quality - compared to the high resolution of the Minolta I was
not very happy but again the glossy presentation distracts most of my
clients from the lack of resolution clarity. I looked at lexmark,
brother, samsung, hp, and canon and honestly this one was the best one
I found (excluding minolta.) HP which I had high hopes for (due to
high availability of toner etc locally, and trouble free printing
reputation, and experiance at the office) was the in my opinion the
worst of all (in terms of photo print quality) of all the brands with
very lack luster color briliance and inability to handle smooth
gradients and overall grainieness. when testing I took my laptop to
the store and printed the same page on the same paper (both standard
and glossy paper) as my real world eyeball test. and again no laser
can match a high quality inkjet or let alone a dye sublimation printer
but when it comes to speed, reliability, durability, cost to operate
nothing comes close. (all it takes is for one to own a epson inkjet
ad have the nozzels dry out every few days due to lack of use to move
to a laser.) NOTW- some online/magazine reviewers say the OKI is not
the best at text quality and i would agree but it is still very clear
and far better then a copymachine and text is text think about the
quality of text in a paper back book no one has ever complained about
that but if a picture in a brochure looks crappy trust me they will
compalin. again I have no complaint on text quality yes some lasers
were a little more crisp but not by much.)

Color Matching/management - this printer gives you with a wealth of
control and the ability to create multiple profiles however no matter
how much I tweak and play around I m never 100% satisfied... if you
are very picky about color reproduction this may be an issues as with
control comes complexity... one of these days I will need to sit down
a fine tune a profile to my standards, but on the other hand if you
ask my wife or the majority of my clients they are satisfied with the
on-tweeked out of the box profile (as my wife would say it's fine
nothing is wrong with it quit being so anal)

local availability of supplies - again if this was an HP if I was in a
pinch I could ust walk down to the local office supply store and I
would be set unfortunately OKI is not as popular around here so all
orders must be pre-planed and ordered on-line so they are onhand when
needed.

noise - I will admit this is not a quiet machine, when printing I do
not mind the noise as after hitting print I can listen for the whirr
and no it is printing but the fan while it is idling is alot noisier
then most of the newer lasers. (being in the closet right by my bed I
am sure does not help.)

handling of thick card stock - when it was new I had no issues ould
duplex etc without issues now I can only expect the irst 2 pages a day
of thick card stock not to jam if I duplex. and at times now just
having the printer grab the thick card stock from the front tray/
draweris is iffy. I defense of the printer all card stock is to be
loaded using a rear slot and also the card stock I am using is thicker
then the printer is rated for - I use 110lb stock) (the slot in the
back is not convenient for me with the printer backed up against the
wall in the closet. again I am exceeding the limits of the printer
specs but like I said it was fine with the handling of the really
thick stock for the first 3 months or so. I have no issues with the
32lb glossy laser paper stock I most commonly use of standard 20lb or
24lb paper. I have also often wondered if the Georgia Pacific glossy
paper I use most commonly is possibly to blaim (gloss coating possibly
rubbing off on the rubber rollers.)

paper/print size limit - The Minolta this one replaced was a wide
format printer which was nice but I rarely used this capacity and have
since found ways to work around it. Also I am still in a true edge to
edge color laser printer with no minimum margins but I cannot have it
all.

the included toner cartridges - they were a joke I question if they
are trely even 2000 page cartridges as they lasted for onoly about 500
prints (again 75%+ coverage) and have been refilled (to the 5k page
capacity) and I have been getting closer to 4000 pages out of them.

Summary - my money is on the OKI and would buy it again. it has been
extremely reliable and the gloss on the ouput is just one of a kind
head and shoulders above the rest, and I personally love how everyone
like the neighbors or the kids teachers etc. feel like they are so
special when they see and feel the gloss of the toner because they
think we used the special super deluxe professional printer on what we
give to them, even if all we printed was the rough draft of a report,
or a news story we found on the internet. ( the drawback to this
though is the number of familly and friends that will request you to
print invitations and presentations for them.) if cost is an issue
the c5500 would be my route, but if you can hold out and if necessary
save for the few extra bucks the duplexing of the C5800LDN is without
a doubt a steal for the price differance, I thought duplexing was
going to be a frivolous feaure but now I doubt I could live without
it!!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Who has experience with the new color laser printers?

I'm looking for a new laser printer and am considering a color laser.
Does anyone have any info for me? Models I'm looking at are the HP
3600n,OkiC5500nand C5800N, and the Samsung CLP600N.

You will probably get a more informed response by asking this question in
the comp.periphs.printers newsgroup.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging