Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default OT -- Lexmark Optra E312L printer grabs paper

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 21:54:59 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:51:43 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Wayne Cook quickly quoth:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:39:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Who has experience with the new color laser printers?

I'm looking for a new laser printer and am considering a color laser.
Does anyone have any info for me? Models I'm looking at are the HP
3600n, Oki C5500n and C5800N, and the Samsung CLP600N. I've heard
horror stories about toner problems with the HP 2605.

I've been very happy with my Epson Aculaser CX11NF. I've had it for
17 months now with no problems at all. It's a all in one type unit
with Ethernet capability so it might be more than you're looking for.
It does a pretty good job of printing pictures on plain paper. It
doesn't work on the old inkjet type photo paper I have on hand. I've
not looked for a laser compatible photo paper yet since it does well
enough for my needs on plain paper.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Samsung CLP600N now. I shied away from
the HP 3600n when I saw the 100W idling power and the $160 toner cart
prices. The Samsung consumes just 35W, is 1/3 cheaper outright and for
consumables, and has PS drivers.

Be sure to compare price per page on the toner. Yes my refills cost a
good bit but I got nearly a year out of the first partially filled
black cartridge that came with the printer. The full cartridge that's
in there now will probably last me a couple of years or more. I've
also had to replace only one of the color cartridges since buying it.
The others are showing low toner but they've been doing that for 6
months and are still working.