Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wood Preservatives

I want to put a preservative on the siding of my house. House is
roughsawn white cedar clapboards, garage is roughsawn pine board &
batten. When built 24 years ago they used bleaching oil on it, which
gave it a somewhat gray color. All of it has since weathered to just
about the color I want, so I'm not interested in stain.

I do want to preserve it, though. There are a few places where
splashback from rain causes some particular problems, indicating it
might need some special treatment. Generally, though, I want to do
all the siding.

Growing up, we used creosote. The last time I went to buy some I
found it hadn't been sold for years. Plus, it's black and smells and
really isn't what I'd want on siding. Instead I bought green
Cuprinol. Good protection, but still not a color I'd go with for
siding.

I've heard of Penofin which sounds good, but at $40 per gallon and
coverage on rough wood in the neighborhood of 100+ square feet per
gallon, it seems a bit pricey.

Any recommendations?

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Martin wrote:

[...]

You can't get good stuff anymore. I researched this awhile ago and came up with
this product: http://tinyurl.com/34sjkg

Although it is said to be green, it actually dries much closer to black (when it
dries, which can take weeks even in the summer). It winds up being a decent
color match to railroad ties, which we have used rather extensively in our yard.

Isn't color an issue for you?

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 2:03 pm, Grant Erwin wrote:
John Martin wrote:
[...]

GWE- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Grant. Color is an issue - which is why creosote (if I could
get it) or the green Cuprinol would be out. Although I have heard
that the green of the Cuprinol fades after a while.

I like the grays that the pine and white cedar have weathered to, and
would prefer a clear preservative that would keep that color.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have you actually tried to use Cuprinol?

I did, and every time I would use it, it would give me a headache. It
is not something that I would want to put on my house. At best, I
would put it on feet of a garden bench or some such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to RCM only

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:52:49 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, John
Martin quickly quoth:

[...]

You're OK with creosote? Then you'll love the stinky stuff I found
recently for the brown Wolmanized (pressure treated) boards. It's
Jasco Termin-8 H2O Brown. $10 a pint at ACE Hardware.

- Metaphors Be With You -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 6:54 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

- Metaphors Be With You -- Hide quoted text -

Not really OK with the creosote - it does stink and is far from a
clear finish. I might consider using it - or the Cuprinol - on a
couple of problem areas only. To do the whole house, though, I'd want
something clear and a lot less fragrant.

I will admit, though, to having some affection for those smells.
There was an insect repellent years ago called Old Time Woodsman -
mostly pine tar and similar ingredients. Worked well, but it stunk
and was about the color of creosote. If you were going to spend a
week in the woods, you might as well smell the part. It was off the
market for some years, but has recently come back.

I see that there is also a Jasco Termin-8 in clear, and will have to
check it out. I do hope that $10/pint was a mistake, though!

It is disappointing to go into a dedicated paint store (a Benjamin
Moore dealer) and then a large lumberyard/building supply and not have
either one have exactly what I want.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

John Martin wrote:
On Jul 25, 6:54 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

It depends wether your in an urban area or in a farming one.
Here, in the UK, for what its worth you cannot buy creosote in an
urban DIY store, but go to an agricultural /farm type of store , they
have creosote in a light brown in 5 gall drums.
Also our Telephone co, BT still has all its poles pressure creosoted,
as nothinbg last longer.
I put in 100 or so fence posts that had been pressure creosoted, they
were guaranteed to last 25 yrs. Its now 30 yrs and weve only had to
replace about 3.
Cedar siding is nice, Ive some Western red,that I had from a demolition
site some 25 yrs ago, Its as you say light grey but hasnt deteriorated
in our wet climate.
The best is heart oak. With no sap wood.
I used t on my upper storey of my house some 35
yrs ago. Sawn 7in by 3/4 in. Its grey now but 1.16th in in its as hard
and sound as the day I put it up.
With no treatment at all.
Its the tannin in the oak that preserves it.
theres another post material that lasts as long. Thats sweet chestnut.
One possibility for you, is to look for lt brown creosote, then mix it
50/50 with kerosene. youll find that will dry virtually colourless.
Best thing is to run a trial on an unobtrusive part.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Martin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not really OK with the creosote - it does stink and is far from a
clear finish. I might consider using it - or the Cuprinol - on a
couple of problem areas only. To do the whole house, though, I'd want
something clear and a lot less fragrant.

John,

Did you miss my tickler about zinc or tin napthenate? Clear, odorless
(except for the vehicle), and a good preservative.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RCM only

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:32:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, John
Martin quickly quoth:

On Jul 25, 6:54 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
You're OK with creosote? Then you'll love the stinky stuff I found
recently for the brown Wolmanized (pressure treated) boards. It's
Jasco Termin-8 H2O Brown. $10 a pint at ACE Hardware.

Not really OK with the creosote - it does stink and is far from a
clear finish. I might consider using it - or the Cuprinol - on a
couple of problem areas only. To do the whole house, though, I'd want
something clear and a lot less fragrant.

I'd hope so. g

I will admit, though, to having some affection for those smells.
There was an insect repellent years ago called Old Time Woodsman -
mostly pine tar and similar ingredients. Worked well, but it stunk
and was about the color of creosote. If you were going to spend a
week in the woods, you might as well smell the part. It was off the
market for some years, but has recently come back.

Pine tar is fine. I love the PineSol smell.

I see that there is also a Jasco Termin-8 in clear, and will have to
check it out. I do hope that $10/pint was a mistake, though!

'Twas. $9.85 for a -quart- at ACE. It just felt small, like a pint.
It's surely cheaper at Blowes/Homey's Despot/online, etc. by the
gallon.

It is disappointing to go into a dedicated paint store (a Benjamin
Moore dealer) and then a large lumberyard/building supply and not have
either one have exactly what I want.

My local ACE hardware store is Fields Home Improvement, a local entity
which has nearly everything in there--like the old farm supply places.
Nice folks, free popcorn, extremely good lumber prices. What more
could a guy want? Oh, yes. They have metal, too. Roofing, flashing,
strapping, bolting, screwing, piping, and othering.

- Metaphors Be With You -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:37:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

My local ACE hardware store is Fields Home Improvement, a local entity
which has nearly everything in there--like the old farm supply places.
Nice folks, free popcorn, extremely good lumber prices. What more
could a guy want? Oh, yes. They have metal, too. Roofing, flashing,
strapping, bolting, screwing, piping, and othering.

- Metaphors Be With You -

How is their ammo prices? The local Ace is really spendy, even for
..22s

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Jul 26, 7:40 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:
"John Martin" wrote in message

John,

Did you miss my tickler about zinc or tin napthenate? Clear, odorless
(except for the vehicle), and a good preservative.

LLoyd

Lloyd - I saw it, and thanks. Any particular brands you like?

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lloyd - I saw it, and thanks. Any particular brands you like?

John, I haven't bought any in years. The last time I needed a few gallons,
I made it. Bein' in a "chemical industry" 'n all...

I don't even remember now where I bought the material, but I do remember
dispersing it in ordinary oil-based wood preservative.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:06:48 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

My local ACE hardware store is Fields Home Improvement, a local entity
which has nearly everything in there--like the old farm supply places.
Nice folks, free popcorn, extremely good lumber prices. What more
could a guy want? Oh, yes. They have metal, too. Roofing, flashing,
strapping, bolting, screwing, piping, and othering.

How is their ammo prices? The local Ace is really spendy, even for
.22s

I'll have to check. I didn't know they carried it, but I wouldn't put
it past 'em.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RCM only:

In . com, on Wed, 25
Jul 2007 10:52:49 -0700, John Martin, wrote:
I want to put a preservative on the siding of my house. House is
roughsawn white cedar clapboards, garage is roughsawn pine board &
batten. When built 24 years ago they used bleaching oil on it, which
gave it a somewhat gray color. All of it has since weathered to just
about the color I want, so I'm not interested in stain.

We lived in FL about 18 years ago, and used Thompsons
weatherseal on a couple of things, but it was only good
for about a year in the FL sun and rain, so the following
year I heated a gallon on the Coleman stove outside
and dissolved a couple lbs. of paraffin into it. That
did the trick. I sprayed it on using one of those garden
pressurized sprayers with the air pump handle. The thin
oil (whatever it is) soaks into the wood and carries the
paraffin with it.

We moved 4 or 5 years later, and still no need for
retreatment. I have no idea how long it actually
lasted, but it was a definite improvement over the
Thompson's alone. Oh yeah, clear as water. Treatment
puts the wood about a half shade "fresher"... yeah, ok,
that sort of translates to "darker," but it's more like
unbleaching it rather than actually darkening.

I do want to preserve it, though. There are a few places where
splashback from rain causes some particular problems, indicating it
might need some special treatment. Generally, though, I want to do
all the siding.

For spots like that, I might try 3 lbs. (or more) of
paraffin to the gallon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
... Thompsons
weatherseal ... I heated a gallon on the Coleman stove outside
and dissolved a couple lbs. of paraffin into it. ...

Good idea! I've used dissolved paste wax on bare steel ... never
occurred to me to use it on wood. What surfaces did you use it on?
E.g., wood deck? It seems that waxing a deck might not be a good idea.
Or did your treatment not leave a waxy finish?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 27, 5:01 am, Steve Ackman
wrote:

for about a year in the FL sun and rain, so the following
year I heated a gallon on the Coleman stove outside
and dissolved a couple lbs. of paraffin into it. That
did the trick. I sprayed it on using one of those garden
pressurized sprayers with the air pump handle. The thin
oil (whatever it is) soaks into the wood and carries the
paraffin with it.

I use a similar approach. Mix Varsol and double boiled linseed oil.
Usually about half and half.

The idea of the Varsol is to thin out the linseed oil so that it
penetrates the wood.

You can use just about anything that can be disolved in Varsol and
will act as a barrier
to protect the wood from moisture and heat.

DOC

Buy my junk! http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 11:52 am, John Martin wrote:
[...]

Lots of deck, siding and fence finishes out there, the more you pay,
the longer they last. You can either get stain versions or clear
versions, since you want that weathered look, get the clear. You can
buy UV protection or not, depends on whether you want it more grey or
not. It's common item at the big box home improvement places, have
whole aisles full of different types here up to 5 and 10 gallon
buckets. Apply with a brush or by spraying. Be careful with any rags
afterwards, they're all drying oil hazards. Olympic was the brand I
used on my trailer. Runs right around $20/gal, how much it covers
depends on how porous your wood is and how rough the surface is.
Ain't none of it going to be cheap. You aren't going to find coal tar
derivatives for $4/gal that'll cover 1000 square feet/gal anymore, no
matter how hard you try. Any other stuff is either going to be black
like tar or green with copper salts, both types meant for buried wood,
not siding. And I've read somewhere they want to ban the copper
stuff, too.

Stan