Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Wood Preservatives

Look on log home sites or forums. Strangly there isn't a newsgroup.
Karl

On Jul 25, 7:52 am, John Martin wrote:
I want to put a preservative on the siding of my house. House is
roughsawn white cedar clapboards, garage is roughsawn pine board &
batten. When built 24 years ago they used bleaching oil on it, which
gave it a somewhat gray color. All of it has since weathered to just
about the color I want, so I'm not interested in stain.

I do want to preserve it, though. There are a few places where
splashback from rain causes some particular problems, indicating it
might need some special treatment. Generally, though, I want to do
all the siding.

Growing up, we used creosote. The last time I went to buy some I
found it hadn't been sold for years. Plus, it's black and smells and
really isn't what I'd want on siding. Instead I bought green
Cuprinol. Good protection, but still not a color I'd go with for
siding.

I've heard of Penofin which sounds good, but at $40 per gallon and
coverage on rough wood in the neighborhood of 100+ square feet per
gallon, it seems a bit pricey.

Any recommendations?

John Martin
Cumberland, Maine