Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Wood Preservatives

On Jul 25, 6:54 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Posted to RCM only

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:52:49 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, John
Martin quickly quoth:

I want to put a preservative on the siding of my house. House is
roughsawn white cedar clapboards, garage is roughsawn pine board &
batten. When built 24 years ago they used bleaching oil on it, which
gave it a somewhat gray color. All of it has since weathered to just
about the color I want, so I'm not interested in stain.

I do want to preserve it, though. There are a few places where
splashback from rain causes some particular problems, indicating it
might need some special treatment. Generally, though, I want to do
all the siding.

Growing up, we used creosote. The last time I went to buy some I
found it hadn't been sold for years. Plus, it's black and smells and
really isn't what I'd want on siding. Instead I bought green
Cuprinol. Good protection, but still not a color I'd go with for
siding.

I've heard of Penofin which sounds good, but at $40 per gallon and
coverage on rough wood in the neighborhood of 100+ square feet per
gallon, it seems a bit pricey.

Any recommendations?

You're OK with creosote? Then you'll love the stinky stuff I found
recently for the brown Wolmanized (pressure treated) boards. It's
Jasco Termin-8 H2O Brown. $10 a pint at ACE Hardware.

- Metaphors Be With You -- Hide quoted text -

Not really OK with the creosote - it does stink and is far from a
clear finish. I might consider using it - or the Cuprinol - on a
couple of problem areas only. To do the whole house, though, I'd want
something clear and a lot less fragrant.

I will admit, though, to having some affection for those smells.
There was an insect repellent years ago called Old Time Woodsman -
mostly pine tar and similar ingredients. Worked well, but it stunk
and was about the color of creosote. If you were going to spend a
week in the woods, you might as well smell the part. It was off the
market for some years, but has recently come back.

I see that there is also a Jasco Termin-8 in clear, and will have to
check it out. I do hope that $10/pint was a mistake, though!

It is disappointing to go into a dedicated paint store (a Benjamin
Moore dealer) and then a large lumberyard/building supply and not have
either one have exactly what I want.

John Martin