Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Wood Preservatives

RCM only

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:32:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, John
Martin quickly quoth:

On Jul 25, 6:54 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
You're OK with creosote? Then you'll love the stinky stuff I found
recently for the brown Wolmanized (pressure treated) boards. It's
Jasco Termin-8 H2O Brown. $10 a pint at ACE Hardware.

Not really OK with the creosote - it does stink and is far from a
clear finish. I might consider using it - or the Cuprinol - on a
couple of problem areas only. To do the whole house, though, I'd want
something clear and a lot less fragrant.

I'd hope so. g

I will admit, though, to having some affection for those smells.
There was an insect repellent years ago called Old Time Woodsman -
mostly pine tar and similar ingredients. Worked well, but it stunk
and was about the color of creosote. If you were going to spend a
week in the woods, you might as well smell the part. It was off the
market for some years, but has recently come back.

Pine tar is fine. I love the PineSol smell.

I see that there is also a Jasco Termin-8 in clear, and will have to
check it out. I do hope that $10/pint was a mistake, though!

'Twas. $9.85 for a -quart- at ACE. It just felt small, like a pint.
It's surely cheaper at Blowes/Homey's Despot/online, etc. by the
gallon.

It is disappointing to go into a dedicated paint store (a Benjamin
Moore dealer) and then a large lumberyard/building supply and not have
either one have exactly what I want.

My local ACE hardware store is Fields Home Improvement, a local entity
which has nearly everything in there--like the old farm supply places.
Nice folks, free popcorn, extremely good lumber prices. What more
could a guy want? Oh, yes. They have metal, too. Roofing, flashing,
strapping, bolting, screwing, piping, and othering.

- Metaphors Be With You -