Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Ackman Steve Ackman is offline

Default Wood Preservatives

In , on Fri, 27 Jul 2007
16:28:15 -0400, Bob Engelhardt, wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:
... Thompsons
weatherseal ... I heated a gallon on the Coleman stove outside
and dissolved a couple lbs. of paraffin into it. ...

Good idea! I've used dissolved paste wax on bare steel ... never
occurred to me to use it on wood. What surfaces did you use it on?
E.g., wood deck? It seems that waxing a deck might not be a good idea.
Or did your treatment not leave a waxy finish?

One use was on T-111 siding on a storage shed. It
didn't really feel waxy, but the water mostly just
bounced off.

I also treated an A-frame that provided shelter for
the dogs and goats. Sheathing was just exterior grade
plywood. In that application, the water pretty much
acted the same as it does on a windshield treated with
RainX.