Datura

Default What is this tool called ??

Greetings from AZ,

I recently acquired some equipment at a yard sale.
I'd like to re-sell it on Ebay but I don't know the proper term.

The "tool" is an angle iron cradle with rollers on bottom and sides
that would hold a 18" wide roll of sheet metal so it could be unrolled
easily into some or other machine ... perhaps a gutter or eave forming
machine ?

What is this thing called ?

Thanks in advance,

Frank
Brian Lawson

Hey Frank,

Is it commercially made? Got a photo?

With your brief description, it may be a travel table to allow the
"edge" of the sheet-roll metal to be "lined up" with an edge in a
shear or edge roller or something.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 22 Jul 2004 07:08:28 -0700, (Datura)
wrote:

Greetings from AZ,

I recently acquired some equipment at a yard sale.
I'd like to re-sell it on Ebay but I don't know the proper term.

The "tool" is an angle iron cradle with rollers on bottom and sides
that would hold a 18" wide roll of sheet metal so it could be unrolled
easily into some or other machine ... perhaps a gutter or eave forming
machine ?

What is this thing called ?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Grant Erwin

This thing is called a lesson in the school of hard knocks. You paid
good money to learn that it ain't that easy to make money buying and
selling things. Don't buy anything to resell unless you already know
all about it and just about what it will sell for, unless you feel real
lucky. I don't know -- maybe you did get lucky!

Grant

Datura wrote:

Greetings from AZ,

I recently acquired some equipment at a yard sale.
I'd like to re-sell it on Ebay but I don't know the proper term.

The "tool" is an angle iron cradle with rollers on bottom and sides
that would hold a 18" wide roll of sheet metal so it could be unrolled
easily into some or other machine ... perhaps a gutter or eave forming
machine ?

Datura

Hey Grant,

Actually I didn't pay anything for this practically new, factory made,
heavy duty device.

I didn't (don't) know what it's called but I've been around tools enuf
to know that whatever it is ... it must have cost quite a bit
originally.

That said ... you are 100% correct about buying & selling, although
I've done amazingly well selling wood lathe parts (which I DO know
about) on Ebay.

Thanks,

Frank
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Datura wrote:

Greetings from AZ,

I recently acquired some equipment at a yard sale.
I'd like to re-sell it on Ebay but I don't know the proper term.

The "tool" is an angle iron cradle with rollers on bottom and sides
that would hold a 18" wide roll of sheet metal so it could be unrolled
easily into some or other machine ... perhaps a gutter or eave forming
machine ?

Datura

Hey Brian,

Yes, it's commercially made, looks almost new and yes, I have a few photos.

Is there a way to post photos on this newsgroup ?

Thanks,

Frank

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrote:

Greetings from AZ,

I recently acquired some equipment at a yard sale.
I'd like to re-sell it on Ebay but I don't know the proper term.

The "tool" is an angle iron cradle with rollers on bottom and sides
that would hold a 18" wide roll of sheet metal so it could be unrolled
easily into some or other machine ... perhaps a gutter or eave forming
machine ?

What is this thing called ?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Datura wrote:
Hey Brian,

Yes, it's commercially made, looks almost new and yes, I have a few photos.

Is there a way to post photos on this newsgroup ?

Technically, yes -- but it is against the guidelines for usenet
discussion groups. Binary attachments (pictures, sound files, programs,
and other non-text files are only allowed in newsgroups which have
"binaries" as part of the newsgroup name. Posting binaries to
non-binary groups can lose you your net connection, if somione complains.

Yes -- *you* are posting to Google, but it is really gatewayed
to a usenet newsgroup which is made available via the web on Google for
those who don't have access to a news server, or who prefer web based
access.

However -- there is a legal way to make images available to
those who read this newsgroup. It is called the dropbox.

Connect to http:/www.metalworking.com/

Click on the yellow bar which offers "About the dropbox", and
read how to post images to it. (*Please* read the guidelines about file
names as well -- in particular please avoid spaces in file names.
Replace them with underscores '_' or dashes '-'.)

Once you have sent your images to the dropbox, and have
confirmed that they are there (they may be held up for virus scans and
such), *then* post to the newsgroup giving the names by which the files
may be accessed. And remember to include the URL for the dropbox (which
I gave above), for those who don't yet know it by heart.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Datura

Here's a photo of the mystery tool:

07/23/04 07:48 PM 31982 roller-.jpg

... posted in the dropbox at:

http:/www.metalworking.com/

Later,

Frank
James Waldby

Datura wrote:
Here's a photo of the mystery tool:

07/23/04 07:48 PM 31982 roller-.jpg

... posted in the dropbox at:

http:/www.metalworking.com/

Bad URL there, gets "The document contained no data"
error if you paste it into a browser. The dropbox is
at http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
(note two slashes after http and the picture is at
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/roller-.jpg .

No idea what it is but it certainly looks useful
-jiw

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
James Waldby wrote:
Datura wrote:
Here's a photo of the mystery tool:

07/23/04 07:48 PM 31982 roller-.jpg

... posted in the dropbox at:

http:/www.metalworking.com/

Bad URL there, gets "The document contained no data"
error if you paste it into a browser. The dropbox is
at http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
(note two slashes after http

That was my fault there. I typed it for him in the earlier
article pointing him to the dropbox, and either his browser fixed it for
him, or he spotted it, and forgot to correct what I had posted when he
posted later.

and the picture is at
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/roller-.jpg .

No idea what it is but it certainly looks useful

It looks to have side rollers as well to keep a roll of thin
metal neatly packed, so I think that the suggestion that it was for a
roll of thin metal, like that used to make seamless gutters, is probably
right.

To find an *official* name for it, you would probably have to
visit the web site of its maker and find a matching image.

However, I would consider something like "roll server cart" as
sufficiently descriptive -- and probably no worse than many eBay
descriptions.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Wild Bill

A raccoon-proof trash can, Rubbermaid I think

You're probably right about a sheet coil feeder, as in seamless gutter type
material. Put a big spool high in the center, and it'd be good for cable,
air/water hose or rope.

WB

"Datura" wrote in message
om...
Here's a photo of the mystery tool:

07/23/04 07:48 PM 31982 roller-.jpg

... posted in the dropbox at:

http:/www.metalworking.com/

Later,

Frank

Koz

Usually just called a strip unroller, sometimes a coil unroller and
sometimes just called an uncoiler. When powered, add the word "power"
before uncoiler. Often used to feed punch presses but the one you have
is quite light so was probably (as someone said) for an application of
thin material in small rolls like gutters (but they usually use larger
rolls). It could even be a paper roll feed of some sort as the rollers
appear to be plastic (non-marring).

Value? probably not much. It's light for most real metalworking and
someone would REALLY have to need it to purchase one rather than build a
good one for their specific application. I'd say your best bet is to
think of a use other than that for which it was originally intended and
see if you can get some bites. Bicicle roller for practice riding?
Inspection roller for car tires? Giant toilet paper roll holder? Hell,
I don't know but there has to be a use.

Koz