jim rozen

Default Best .22 rifle? (Wow, thanks!)

In article , jim rozen says...

Open for discussion:

Hey thanks folks. I suspect I get better comments here than
from a usenet gun group. Not disapoined in that regard.

Interesting that the ruger 1022 was discussed so much, there
were three of us at the range last weekend with only two
guns, at one point the range officer asked if my daughter
wanted to try his .22 which was (of course) a ruger 1022.
It also had a nice weaver scope on it with what looked like
a two inch diameter objective lens!

Suffice to say that she liked it a lot.

Also somewhat disapointed to learn that most folks like what
I'm already shooting right now, the win 62A. But I can sure
see why.

Nobody has mentioned the winchester 9422 yet so I'll throw
that on the table as well here. I want to get a gun that
is useable by both of us, so that sort of precludes a left
handed bolt action - but she is old enough (15) that she does
not require a 'youth' rifle. Indeed right now she likes the
remington model 14 because it is heavier and has a more
substantial full stock than our pump gun.

Thanks again for all the great comments!

Jim

please reply to:

Jeridiah

Default Best .22 rifle?

"larsen-tools" wrote in message news:H_0Ec.16924$6r1.6005@fed1read06...
Well, whatever I got, I'd make sure it was semi-automatic.

Right now we're using a winchester model 62A pump gun, which
I like because I'm left-eye dominant, and a remington targetmaster
single shot model 14 bolt action.

Not if he is left-eye dominant. Most eject on the right side, which
if you are left eye dominant is directly across your face. Not
something I ever cared for. A bolt or a single shot will typically be
a more accurate rifle as well.

JW
Gunner

On 29 Jun 2004 18:40:47 GMT, Hitch wrote:

(GMasterman) wrote in
:

If I was buying a bolt action, it would likely be a Ruger 77-22, with
a good scope. For a semi-auto, the Ruger 10-22, also with a scope.
Hard to beat a Ruger unless you pay lot's more money. For mere
plinking fun and open sights, you already have the best, a Winchester
62, or the Rossi knock off. The Rossi 62 carbine is great for a young
shooter, as well. These are great because they will shoot anything
from CB caps to LRs

I have both the 10/22 and the Rossi knockoff of the Winchester 62. I like
the pump better because it's a little lighter and I spend more time
shooting than reloading. With the semi-auto I spend more time reloading
than shooting. Good thing 22 cartridges are cheap.

Overall I prefer a pump 22 over bolt action or semi-auto. My brother has a
really old Remington pump which is a dream to shoot, but it's so old (~100
years) that it's getting pretty worn out and jams frequently.

My son is lefthanded, so his first .22 was a Remington 572
Fieldmaster. Still shoots just fine, though I never could get used to
shooting it. Works for him though.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:06:21 GMT, Question of the Day
calmly ranted:

Hitch wrote:

Good thing 22 cartridges are cheap.

Okay..... I'm sure you can guess my curious question.

How cheap is cheap.

Dirt.

What do you folks pay for various types of .22 ammo in different sized
quantities in different areas or the country.

$6.99 for a brick of 525 Remington Golden Bullet 22LRHPs.
(BiMart sale)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

Gunner

wrote:

Hitch wrote:

Good thing 22 cartridges are cheap.

Okay..... I'm sure you can guess my curious question.

How cheap is cheap.

What do you folks pay for various types of .22 ammo in different sized
quantities in different areas or the country.

California.. Winchester Wildcats for $9.95 a brick (500 rounds) on
sale 4-5 times a year if you look around a bit. Others can be found
for similar.

You can order 5000 round cans of Russian 22lr for around $75 though I
dont recommend it.

US made ammo is about from $100-150 per 5000 rds
http://www.ammoman.com/ (very good place to deal with) and shipping
is free. Im not sure if the Hazmat fee applies or not though. Its not
an explosive

Some more good deals from a very reputable company
Winchester
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=203012&imgid=&categname=Rimfire +Ammunition&dept%5Fname=Winchester&mscssid=3U6U9LX 72BAM9HRCJ0R12DK5S4AAFP7A

Remington
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=203009&imgid=&categname=Rimfire +Ammunition&dept%5Fname=Remington&mscssid=3U6U9LX7 2BAM9HRCJ0R12DK5S4AAFP7A

Im still working on a 5000 rd case that is dated 1973. Its good
plinking ammo. Ammo lasts forever in normal storage.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Gunner

On 29 Jun 2004 13:17:37 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , jim rozen says...

Open for discussion:

Hey thanks folks. I suspect I get better comments here than
from a usenet gun group. Not disapoined in that regard.

Interesting that the ruger 1022 was discussed so much, there
were three of us at the range last weekend with only two
guns, at one point the range officer asked if my daughter
wanted to try his .22 which was (of course) a ruger 1022.
It also had a nice weaver scope on it with what looked like
a two inch diameter objective lens!

You can put just about any scope on any rifle. Decent scopes run
from $35-3500..G

Suffice to say that she liked it a lot.

You will have noted the comments about how much ammo they shoot up
with a self loader such as a 10-22 as well..G over another type.
This is not condusive to good shooting skills, though its fun as hell.

Also somewhat disapointed to learn that most folks like what
I'm already shooting right now, the win 62A. But I can sure
see why.

Nobody has mentioned the winchester 9422 yet so I'll throw
that on the table as well here. I want to get a gun that
is useable by both of us, so that sort of precludes a left
handed bolt action - but she is old enough (15) that she does
not require a 'youth' rifle. Indeed right now she likes the
remington model 14 because it is heavier and has a more
substantial full stock than our pump gun.

Thanks again for all the great comments!

Jim

Jim, the Win94/22 is a fine rifle. Bit pricey however and if I was
going to spend that much money..Id go with the Marlin 39A lever action
over he Winchester. But that is only my personal preference having
extensive experience with both. I feel the 39 is more accurate, better
made and simply "feels better"..but thats just me. I have neither at
the moment, having had to sell them both in 2000 along with a number
of other rifles to save my home.

Id really! like to have another Marlin 39 lever action and have no
desire for another Winchester. I have several Marlin 3030 rifles
which I prefer over the Winchesters as well. I wrote a FAQ on lever
action 3030s about 5 yrs ago that is still floating around the net on
various websites and get emails several times a month on it. Simply
Google "3030 rifle FAQ" and it should pop up.

I believe that Big 5 Sporting Goods and most regular gun shops will
stock both the 39A and the 9422. Go handle them both and pick one.
Firearms are very individual tools, like hammers, and what feels good
for one person will not feel right for others.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Gunner

Hitch wrote:

Good thing 22 cartridges are cheap.

Okay..... I'm sure you can guess my curious question.

How cheap is cheap.

Dirt.

What do you folks pay for various types of .22 ammo in different sized
quantities in different areas or the country.

$6.99 for a brick of 525 Remington Golden Bullet 22LRHPs.
(BiMart sale)

Ohooo..good price? Do those give you a nasty wax buildup? Remingtons
are noted for that.

Gunner

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

I think..think the Savages in left hand are actual mirror image rifles
and eject out the left side. Least their centerfires do.

The point is I would be interested in getting a gun that both
righties and lefties could shoot. If a ruger 1022 then I would
get the right hand version, and put up with the cases passing
in front of my nose.... I was going to try to shoot the one
that was there last weekend, but ran out of time.

Jim

please reply to:

Byron

I am left eye dominant as well. When I first started shooting my dad
purchased a Browning semi auto .22 rifle for me. I like it because it
ejects from the bottom and therefore can be used by either a right or
left handed person with no difficulty. I have had mine for the better
part of 25 years and it was an old rifle when I got it. I would be
willing to guess it was a good 20-30 years old when it was given to
me. Never once jammed on me either.

Byron Witty
Metroplex Wood Care
Quality Fence Sealing & Restoration
(469)438-3076

On 29 Jun 2004 13:58:51 -0700,
(Jeridiah) wrote:

"larsen-tools" wrote in message news:H_0Ec.16924$6r1.6005@fed1read06...
Well, whatever I got, I'd make sure it was semi-automatic.

Right now we're using a winchester model 62A pump gun, which
I like because I'm left-eye dominant, and a remington targetmaster
single shot model 14 bolt action.

Not if he is left-eye dominant. Most eject on the right side, which
if you are left eye dominant is directly across your face. Not
something I ever cared for. A bolt or a single shot will typically be
a more accurate rifle as well.

JW

steamer

--If you're going to the range that implies accuracy. For maximum
accuracy I'd get an Anschutz. Actually I've got an older one, but the
newer ones have electronic triggers and other fancy gizmos. Expect to pay
a *lot* of money. Olympic teams use them...
--Next best: get something with a falling block action; they're
ambidextrous actions and they don't "shave" the bullet when you load. Get
a stock made to fit your grip, too.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Somewhere in Texas a
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : village has lost an idiot...
Thomas Kendrick

If accuracy is at stake and you're willing to pony up the $'s for an
Anschutz, better get some match-grade ammo as well. I took a look at
the web site; for under $2000 they can put a very nice rifle in your
hands, completely adjustable in every way.

Probably a bit pricey compared to the suggestions so far.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:53:36 GMT, steamer wrote:

--If you're going to the range that implies accuracy. For maximum
accuracy I'd get an Anschutz. Actually I've got an older one, but the
newer ones have electronic triggers and other fancy gizmos. Expect to pay
a *lot* of money. Olympic teams use them...
--Next best: get something with a falling block action; they're
ambidextrous actions and they don't "shave" the bullet when you load. Get
a stock made to fit your grip, too.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:30:54 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

Hitch wrote:

Good thing 22 cartridges are cheap.

Okay..... I'm sure you can guess my curious question.

How cheap is cheap.

Dirt.

What do you folks pay for various types of .22 ammo in different sized
quantities in different areas or the country.

$6.99 for a brick of 525 Remington Golden Bullet 22LRHPs.
(BiMart sale)

Ohooo..good price? Do those give you a nasty wax buildup? Remingtons
are noted for that.

Dunno yet. Now that the 04 is blued (but to be finished at a later
date once I take care of the deeper rust), I can take it out and
play. I'll know sometime between this coming Thursday and Sunday.

Here's a new sig I heard today. You might like it. gd&r

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.

Dev Null

jim rozen wrote in
:

Open for discussion: what .22 would you purchase if you wanted
an overall fun rifle to take to the range every weekend,
reliable and low maintence? Preferences to lever action or bolt
action, not single shot.

Right now we're using a winchester model 62A pump gun, which
I like because I'm left-eye dominant, and a remington
targetmaster single shot model 14 bolt action.

The remington is a loaner and will have to go back soon.

Henry? Winchester? Marlin?

Jim

please reply to:

CZ 452 is the best bolt for the money, and a bargain.

Check out:
http://www.accuratereloading.com/22rf.html
for some accuracy data.

Another decent bolt is the Sako Finnfire.

Ruger 10/22's are ok for blasting but be prepared to buy some
upgrades for good accuracy. OTOH there are A LOT of accessories
for this rifle.

Remington has a new rifle, model 504, that might be worth a look.

If you're willing to put in a little effort you can find a used
low-end Anschutz target rifle for a reasonable price.

If you're willing to splurge, American Rifleman just reviewed the
Cooper LVT. Amazing accuracy but about $1200 MSRP.
Gary Coffman

On 29 Jun 2004 15:51:48 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

I think..think the Savages in left hand are actual mirror image rifles
and eject out the left side. Least their centerfires do.

The point is I would be interested in getting a gun that both
righties and lefties could shoot. If a ruger 1022 then I would
get the right hand version, and put up with the cases passing
in front of my nose.... I was going to try to shoot the one
that was there last weekend, but ran out of time.

The 10/22 is a fun little rifle, and with a bunch of
rework, it can be an accurate rifle too. But I'd urge
you to consider the Browning if you want a gun
useable by lefties and righties. Because it is bottom
ejection, you don't get cases flying across your
face when shooting from either side.

If a real Browning is too rich for your blood, the
Chinese copy from Norinco is inexpensive, and
shoots well too.

Gary

Martin H. Eastburn

When I was in 8th grade (city boy) Dad drove me down town (El Paso) to buy
a 22 match. I chose the Anschutz Jr. Match. Paid $99.00 for it and that
includes the 6X gas filled scope. The Metal sights were great. Hole post or
hole hole. Still have it. Stock is a bit short naturally. I was on the
rifle team - Army and the U.S. Border Patrol sponsored us. NRA naturally.

Martin

jim rozen wrote:

Open for discussion: what .22 would you purchase if you wanted
an overall fun rifle to take to the range every weekend, reliable
and low maintence? Preferences to lever action or bolt action,
not single shot.

Right now we're using a winchester model 62A pump gun, which
I like because I'm left-eye dominant, and a remington targetmaster
single shot model 14 bolt action.

The remington is a loaner and will have to go back soon.

Henry? Winchester? Marlin?

Jim

please reply to:

Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:13:30 -0500, Thomas Kendrick
wrote:

If accuracy is at stake and you're willing to pony up the $'s for an
Anschutz, better get some match-grade ammo as well. I took a look at
the web site; for under $2000 they can put a very nice rifle in your
hands, completely adjustable in every way.

I got my Anschutz 54 for $80. gloat though the sites were missing and
they cost me $250 (sigh). The Lyman 20x Superspot scope was a bit more
than that. But then, I was competing in small bore at the time. Oddly
enough..it loves Winchester Wildcats at .99 a box, and Eley Green Tag
at $5 a box....

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976426040.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976471228.htm

Used to **** off the old timers shooting their subsonics and me shooting
the supersonic cheap ammo and whooping their asses VBG

A guy can still find Martini target 22s if he wants a falling block, or
a Low Wall Winchester...

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=20057277
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=19982202

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=19771801

Sticker shock is included.

Gunner

Probably a bit pricey compared to the suggestions so far.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:53:36 GMT, steamer wrote:

--If you're going to the range that implies accuracy. For maximum
accuracy I'd get an Anschutz. Actually I've got an older one, but the
newer ones have electronic triggers and other fancy gizmos. Expect to pay
a *lot* of money. Olympic teams use them...
--Next best: get something with a falling block action; they're
ambidextrous actions and they don't "shave" the bullet when you load. Get
a stock made to fit your grip, too.

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden."
Strider
Karl Vorwerk

What was wrong with the Russian 22's?
Karl

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/d...imgid=&categna
me=Rimfire+Ammunition&dept%5Fname=Winchester&mscss id=3U6U9LX72BAM9HRCJ0R12DK
5S4AAFP7A

Remington

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/d...imgid=&categna
me=Rimfire+Ammunition&dept%5Fname=Remington&mscssi d=3U6U9LX72BAM9HRCJ0R12DK5
S4AAFP7A

Im still working on a 5000 rd case that is dated 1973. Its good
plinking ammo. Ammo lasts forever in normal storage.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

---

Old Nick

On 28 Jun 2004 14:35:35 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

my asian special with Aud$80 8* scope can drill the centre of an
orange at 50 paces, or place a group no bigger than my hand as fast as
I can aim and shoot, 90% of the time in the right hands....
Gunner

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:21:55 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk"
wrote:

What was wrong with the Russian 22's?
Karl

Much of it tends, or tended to be rather inconsistent. Pop, pop, ploop,
pop, ploop, and so forth.

It is a bit disconcerting to a new shooter who is getting used to a
weapon and proper technique, to have those fairly random "fliers"
outside of the target area, even when they know their technique is
proper and that shot "felt good"

Gunner

.. .
wrote:

Hitch wrote:

[...]

Gary Coffman

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:21:55 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk" wrote:
What was wrong with the Russian 22's?
Karl

The Russians make some of the world's best competition ammo,
but they also make crap. The latter is the cheap stuff Gunner is
talking about. Very inconsistent, lots of flyers. The good Russian
stuff is *not* cheap, but is very worthwhile if you can get it.

The advantage of name brand US ammo is that it is reasonably
cheap while all of it is made very consistently from one box to the
next. Group size may not be as tight as the very best competition
ammo, but it is consistent. There are no surprise flyers that are
the fault of the ammo.

Note too that .22 rifles are picky. One may "like" a particular
brand of ammo more than another. So it is worthwhile to test
various brands of ammo in any particular rifle to see what it
likes best. A different rifle might like a different brand.

With centerfire rifles, we can handload to find the best loading
for a particular rifle. But no one handloads .22 rimfire, so you
need to try the various brands available to see which one
produces the tightest group in any given rifle.

I have several .22 rifles, and not all of them like the same brand
of ammo. Some shoot better with Eley Ten-X, some prefer Federal
Match, etc. Even with commodity ammo, some shoot better
with Remington, some shoot better with Winchester, etc.

Gary

In , on 06/30/04
at 03:11 AM, Dev Null said:

CZ 452 is the best bolt for the money, and a bargain.

Well let me add the third vote for the BRNO or CZ 452 or 2E (depending on
country). Seems to me from the responses, you don't see too many of these
in USA. I got my bolt rifle 15 years back after 3 semi autos (2 Winchester
1 Remington) - what a difference! I can guarantee 3/4" at 55 yards with no
mods at all. If it has faults, the safety moves the "wrong" way & with a
silencer fitted it's too long, but I am wary of chopping & re threading
'cos it shoots too well as is. Feed subsonics through it & nothing is safe
to 100 yards, with a bit of holdover. Two of my friends have standard
Ruger 10-22s & another the BRNO semi auto. The Brno is better than the
others but , as standard they seem to be 2" groupers at the same distance.
These are all sporters. I believe Brno now do an "American varmint "
version with a heavy, shorter barrel, laminated stock etc. Wouldn't mind
the barrel, but I prefer the traditional stock. Oh yes, the price - around
200 pounds!!
John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

michael

Lane wrote:

"Gunluvver2" wrote in message

The worst .22 rifle I ever owned was also the most expensive. A Weatherby

Mark
XXII. What a worthless piece of crap. It reminded me of a blonde I dated

when I
was younger; nice to look at but wasn't worth the crap you had to put up

with
to get it to perform.
DL

LOL, you brought back some memories! I dated a few like that...

Lane

"No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere, is tired of her ****."

mj

michael

jim rozen wrote:

[...]

That reminds me about using a guy's Winchester in .22Mag. That was a
pretty neat gun. Recall it functioned well and hit what I aimed at. He
asked me to go sight it in for him.g Had a scope, and he said he did
not adjust it when I let him have it back. Not that I wanted to give it
back.

michael

michael

wrote:

[...]

Agreed! I've always said you can have the acclaimed top of the line gun,
if it doesn't fit you, and forces an unnatural accomodation on your part,
it won't serve you as well as a "lesser" gun that does fit.

michael

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Hitch

$6.99 for a brick of 525 Remington Golden Bullet 22LRHPs.
(BiMart sale)

BTW, just how do they get the "brass plating" on the bullets? I can't
imagine that for less than 2 cents a cartridge they are actually plating
the dang things. My brother and I were thinking maybe they rolled or
painted the brass on.

--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"
xman Charlie

wrote:

[...]

Its the ruger for me.

For the brass flying across your face, use a brass deflector...its a small
inch or so thingy that clips to the ejector port top...

my 2 cents

Gunner

On 1 Jul 2004 17:30:26 GMT, Hitch wrote:

$6.99 for a brick of 525 Remington Golden Bullet 22LRHPs.
(BiMart sale)

BTW, just how do they get the "brass plating" on the bullets? I can't
imagine that for less than 2 cents a cartridge they are actually plating
the dang things. My brother and I were thinking maybe they rolled or
painted the brass on.

They are indeed plated.

Ive been using plated let bullets for a long time, and they are quite
cheap.

Gunner

Gunner

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:00:29 -0700, "xman Charlie"
wrote:

[...]

All of my 10-22s eject out at about 2:30 or 3:00. Ive not known of any
lefty getting hit by ejected brass from a 10-22 unless they are really
absurd stock climbers.

Gunner

xman Charlie

wrote:

[...]

We had an accident 5 or more years back. 5 were firing, one had a hat, that
deflected the casing between the eye protector/safety glass/eye.

The shooter was in so much pain, he shot the shooter in the arm that was
next to him...

my 2 cents