williamhenry

Default tips on stump burning?

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in short
order?

I have access to the aluminum suits and safety gear ,

might really spice up the fourth ?

might really get hurt

Roy

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:59:38 -0500, "williamhenry"
wrote:

===anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps
===
===I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,
===
===just want to play with a little fire ?
===
===can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in short
===order?
===
===
===I have access to the aluminum suits and safety gear ,
===
===might really spice up the fourth ?
===
===might really get hurt
===

Stumps from my experience are pretty darn hard to burn out. After the
tree is cut its way to green, and it takes a considerable amouint of
time to dry, which in the meantime in comes rain and winter, whjich
compounds problems even worse. There usually is not sufficient dry
matter even on a dead stump of some time to support a hot enough fire
to dry remaining wet wood to the point of it burning. I have caught
some stumps just right and it then took days of just a smoldering
stump (glowed really nice in the night time) to eventually burn up, or
at least down into the below ground sections.

What some entertainment, get some dynamite and ammonium nitrate and
diesel fuel. Be a short show, but entertaining just the same.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
PrecisionMachinisT

"williamhenry" wrote in message
anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in

short
order?

I have access to the aluminum suits and safety gear ,

might really spice up the fourth ?

might really get hurt

Dig all around it and put a 55 gallon drum over top it--make sure some air
can get in from around the bottom........

Add fire and fuel to suit.

--

SVL

Richard Lamb

williamhenry wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in short
order?

I have access to the aluminum suits and safety gear ,

might really spice up the fourth ?

might really get hurt

If you saw the grill video, you pretty much know the answer already.

I think what you should really be asking is how to do it and stay alive.

Richard
Eric R Snow

wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in short
order?

I have access to the aluminum suits and safety gear ,

might really spice up the fourth ?

might really get hurt

Oh yeah! Go for it. Drill a bunch of holes, pour the stuff in, let it
soak a few milliseconds, then light it. Mebbe it'll get hot enough to
burn the water in the stump! If it's dry enough you could drill all
the holes and fill 'em with diesel or kerosene, let it soak in, and
repeat until it will take no more, Then light it. I've also heard of
dissolving saltpetre in water and letting that soak in and dry. Then
the stump burns completely, but slowly, for a number of days. More of
a smolder really.
ERS

Grant Erwin

If you just want a real showstopper of a fire, get hold of an old VW
engine block and burn it. Those are made of magnesium and boy, you better
wear welding goggles. Some good friends of mine got banned for life from
all Washington State campgrounds after they pulled this stunt at Alta Lake.
They still laugh when they tell the story, though.

Be careful crafting July 4th stunts. They can be life-threatening. Also,
defer doing this until after you have at least one child, that way you
won't qualify for the Darwin Awards when you kill yourself being stupid.

Grant

williamhenry

I have been saving this oak stump under a trash can for about a year now ,
after posting I went out and put a large pile of charcoal on the top and
piece of 14 inch pipe that is about 8 inches long got it going real nice at
the moment

williamhenry

it is out in a field , I probably don't have the balls to dump LOX on it

though I might try some of the thermite lances we have at
work

the kids love it when daddy gets the fire bug

Peter T. Keillor III

wrote:

[...]

If you just wanted to get rid of the stump instead of all the above
4th of July Darwin Award stuff, I've done it successfully several
times. You just need several months patience.

If the stump is not dead, kill it. There are stump killer compounds
available, although I've not used them. Mainly you don't want any
water movement in the stump for the next step.

When you're sure the stump is dead, use a brace and bit to drill 3/4"
to 1" holes vertically as deep as you can every 3 or 4 inches around
the periphery of the stump. Then drill at a 45 deg angle intersecting
holes near the base of the stump. Fill all the holes with potassium
nitrate. Soak the stump with water, but not enough to dissolve all
the potassium nitrate. Just get it good and wet. Cover the wet stump
with a garbage bag and tape securely.

Now just wait six weeks to two months. When the waiting's done, soak
the stump several times with diesel or kerosene, then light. I've had
the stump burn for a full week, including through some light showers.
When smoke finally quit coming out of the hole, even the roots were
gone, with tunnels into the ground in all directions.

Pete Keillor
Jim Levie

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:59:38 -0500, williamhenry wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in short
order?

It's not much in the way of entertainment, but I've burned many a stump 8"
or more below ground level by setting a 55gal drum with no ends on bricks
over the stump. Fill the barrel about two thirds full of chunks of wood
and light it off. The process will take a number of hours and the fuel
supply above the stump will need replenishing from time to time.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:59:38 -0500, "williamhenry"
stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

My neighbor, an old 4,000 acre ND farmer, says "Don't. It can
continue burning underground into living trees and kill them."

(I've never done it so I don't have firsthand knowledge.)

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

SteveB

"williamhenry" wrote in message
anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in

short
order?

I have access to the aluminum suits and safety gear ,

might really spice up the fourth ?

might really get hurt

Dave Barry's "Barbecueing with liquid oxygen". I haven't heard of that for
a while.

They wanted to do it a second time, and applied for a permit. The fire
department said it was too dangerous. They said naaaaaah, they had done it
before, and showed the FD the tape.

The firemen and fire marshals were REALLY ****ed off then. First that they
had done it, and second that they didn't get a permit.

Too funny.

Is that site still around?

Steve

Old Nick

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:09:25 -0400, Peter T. Keillor III
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you just wanted to get rid of the stump instead of all the above
4th of July Darwin Award stuff, I've done it successfully several
times. You just need several months patience.

If the stump is not dead, kill it. There are stump killer compounds
available, although I've not used them. Mainly you don't want any
water movement in the stump for the next step.

When you're sure the stump is dead, use a brace and bit to drill 3/4"
to 1" holes vertically as deep

Surely, to make sure the stump is dead, a 15 metre hop is the best of
bets? G

OK. In Oz, the trees _love_ being left as a stump.

They do not die.

Eucalypts have a whole industry based on this fact.......called
chip/paper/agroforestry. Perennial crop.

In my case the emphasis is on the aggro....bloody things!

Hardwoods. Fire survival history over the last 50(?) thousand years.
Fall over? Regrow!

_Kill_ them (poison. ..poison). Remove them to a depth of about 1
metre. Or you _will_ have them back! Called "regrowth". Regrowth
bashing is an Oz industry in itself.

DAMHIKT.

Next year.... DAMHIKT. :-

We are not even allowed to buy amm nitrate now (btw would that work?).
Not a hope on Pot ntirate!

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Old Nick

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:
I quote....

"The people in charge have requested this web site be removed.
2/6/2003 --ghg"

BTW..............What "people in charge"? This is the Net!

Hasn't the 3 second barrier already been broken by the throw of a gas
tap in Mac's?

Is that site still around?

Steve

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Old Nick

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

What frightens me is that there was a Dave Barry, comedian, from what?
30-40 years ago? Standup guy. "Popcorn machine on back but anything
unusual?" type of stuff.

maybe it was Doug....

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

Default Turners Cube Project

Anyone have a link on how to make it, or other interesting bits?

Thanks for you time
Les
Koz

Default tips on stump burning? Changed to Ideas needed for those whocan't burn

Just to change things a bit.....

I am currently working on a maple stump about 4 feet across with another
5 or 6 feet of major root. It's on a city lot near the neighbor's place
so I can't burn. For now I have been digging about a foot down and
chopping out the roots to get to only a main stump area left.

That's where the problem comes in. I can't stump grind as this thing is
huge and there are other details that make it impossible to get a stump
grinder to access the remains. In fact, it's already been ground (at
the time of cutting) but some jackass had been piling dirt up over the
years to the 8 or so inches that a grinder reaches was still a couple of
feet above ground level at the stump. I am trying to get it down to a
foot below the rest of the yard so I can just plant grass or something
and let the rest rot.

I've tried some tests with chain sawing out pieces but the chain gets
dull so quickly that it's hardly worth the work. For now, playing
lumberjack with a sharp axe and wedges appears the quickest. It's
intolerably slow though...and I need to get this thing *gone* by the end
of the summer.

Any ideas that don' involve the joys of blowing stuff up or pyromania?

Koz

Jim Levie wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:59:38 -0500, williamhenry wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in short
order?

It's not much in the way of entertainment, but I've burned many a stump 8"
or more below ground level by setting a 55gal drum with no ends on bricks
over the stump. Fill the barrel about two thirds full of chunks of wood
and light it off. The process will take a number of hours and the fuel
supply above the stump will need replenishing from time to time.

Ecnerwal

In article ,
Koz wrote:

Any ideas that don' involve the joys of blowing stuff up or pyromania?

Well, if you were not trying to be done by the end of the summer:

Method 1 - find a horse owner (city - try mounted police unit), get
enough horse food that has been processed through the horse to cover the
stump a foot or two deep, wait. Holes are optional.

Method 2 is perhaps more suitable for a citified stump - buy some 45-0-0
urea fertilizer, drill holes in the stump, pour in fertilizer, water it,
repeat, eventually mulch over it. In either case the nitrogen and
retained moisture helps promote decay of the wood. But it still takes
time.

You can buy "stump removing chemicals" applied much as method 2, but
they don't work any faster, and they cost more, IME. Anything nasty
enough to "work fast" is probably too nasty (and expensive) to actually
use.

A backhoe or excavator of suitable size is the fastest non-blowing-up
method to remove a stump, but if you can get one of those in there, you
can get in a grinder and just lower the thing without removing it all.

Perhaps you could try a jackhammer with a chisel-point on it? Some of
the tips used to cut a neat hole in an asphalt road look like they might
chisel wood pretty well.

Steve

Excuse me?

wrote in message news:1W0wc.5892$1L4.5551@okepread02...
Anyone have a link on how to make it, or other interesting bits?

Thanks for you time
Les

Steve

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
vaguely proposed a theory

BTW..............What "people in charge"? This is the Net!

I think he just blew his bandwidth on the server and got shut down. It got
to be a pretty popular site.

Steve

Gunner

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:10:36 -0700, Koz
wrote:

Any ideas that don' involve the joys of blowing stuff up or pyromania?

Chuckle..I dinna think there are any other ways. Or why anyone would
want to look for them.

Unless you have a big..really big dozer and some really good chain...

Now that would have almost as big a cool factor.....

VBG

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden."
Strider
Steve

wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

the holes and fill 'em with diesel or kerosene, let it soak in, and
repeat until it will take no more, Then light it. I've also heard of
dissolving saltpetre in water and letting that soak in and dry. Then
the stump burns completely, but slowly, for a number of days. More of
a smolder really.
ERS

How about mixing up some thermite and pouring that into the holes?

Steve

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:53:25 GMT, Gunner
stated, with eyes & arms akimbo:

wrote:

Any ideas that don' involve the joys of blowing stuff up or pyromania?

Chuckle..I dinna think there are any other ways. Or why anyone would
want to look for them.

Verily. How about that tame chemical root-rot stuff?
- - Works within 32 years or your money back! - -

Unless you have a big..really big dozer and some really good chain...

Now that would have almost as big a cool factor.....
VBG

Yeah, watching a D-8 with a 6-way blade finessing a 4' diameter stump
out of the ground is a pure delight, but now they have 935 horsepower
D-11 dozers with rippers: 230,100 lbs of pure muscle. ar ar ar
www.cat.com

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications

Eric R Snow

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:47:37 +0100, "Steve"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

the holes and fill 'em with diesel or kerosene, let it soak in, and
repeat until it will take no more, Then light it. I've also heard of
dissolving saltpetre in water and letting that soak in and dry. Then
the stump burns completely, but slowly, for a number of days. More of
a smolder really.
ERS

How about mixing up some thermite and pouring that into the holes?

Steve

Steve,
That's a great idea. Can you get the powdered aluminum and iron oxide?
Seems like they are maybe controlled or something. But several holes
filled with this mixture would certainly tend to dry out the stump if
nothing else! I still like the idea of LOX. But what about running a
pipe into a hole drilled horizontally as near the ground as possible?
Use the oxy tank for the supply, get a little fire going with oil or
kero or wax and then supply the oxygen. If you can get the flame to
start burning deep in the hole and just keep feeding pure oxygen I bet
that stump will be gone in no time. In fact, I think I'll try this
sometime.
ERS

bob mologna

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
That's a great idea. Can you get the powdered aluminum and iron oxide?
Seems like they are maybe controlled or something. But several holes
filled with this mixture would certainly tend to dry out the stump if
nothing else! I still like the idea of LOX. But what about running a
pipe into a hole drilled horizontally as near the ground as possible?
Use the oxy tank for the supply, get a little fire going with oil or
kero or wax and then supply the oxygen. If you can get the flame to
start burning deep in the hole and just keep feeding pure oxygen I bet
that stump will be gone in no time. In fact, I think I'll try this
sometime.
ERS

It's been a while since I've played with pyrotechnics but 10 years ago the
rule was that you could "only" purchase 8oz of fine pyro grade 600 mesh
aluminum powder every 6 months. 8oz doesn't sound like much but if you mix
up even 5 or 6 grams with twice that weight of potassium perchorate the
resulting firecracker will set off car alarms and bring the fire department
around. These days god only knows who else it would bring around. I wouldn't
want to find out.

Dan Caster

Thermite won't hurt, but will not be a great help. The problems in
buring stumps are that you have one big chunk of fuel that has
limited surface area.
So the heat radiates away. Which is why surounding it with a barrel
helps. It keeps the heat in. The other thing that helps is supplying
oxygen. So a blower also will help. My idea of ideal would be two
barrels one inside the other and a blower forcing air in to the space
between the barrels and then to the stump. Have never tried this, but
it sounds good in theory.

Dan

"Steve" wrote in message

How about mixing up some thermite and pouring that into the holes?

Steve

Dan Caster

It is too late for this suggestion, but the time to think about
removing stumps is before you remove the tree. This diea started when
a bulldozer operator said to cut the trees down with a high stump
left, so he could have more leverage to uproot the stump.

Later when I decided to remove more trees, I ended up getting a steel
cable attached high in the tree and attaching a come-a-long to pull
the tree in the direction I wanted it to fall. Then instead of
cutting the tree down, I started digging out the stump. PITA, but the
same amount of work as if you dig it later. When there is pretty big
hole, then pull the tree down and it tears the stump loose. Still
lots of work. If you remove several trees, you can pull the stumps
together and burn them better than trying to burn one stump.
Of course if you can't burn, you still have a problem. But the stump
can be move somewhere where it can rot in peace.

Dan

Koz wrote in message ...
Just to change things a bit.....

I am currently working on a maple stump about 4 feet across with another
5 or 6 feet of major root. It's on a city lot near the neighbor's place
so I can't burn. For now I have been digging about a foot down and
chopping out the roots to get to only a main stump area left.

Old Nick

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:55:10 +0100, "Steve"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
vaguely proposed a theory

BTW..............What "people in charge"? This is the Net!

I think he just blew his bandwidth on the server and got shut down. It got
to be a pretty popular site.

I hope so. This "War on terror" can excuse anythong.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Old Nick

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:55:10 +0100, "Steve"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

errrrrrr...... should have read "anything"......brr-rr-rr-rr. Me in a
thong! Now _that's terror!

"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
vaguely proposed a theory

BTW..............What "people in charge"? This is the Net!

I think he just blew his bandwidth on the server and got shut down. It got
to be a pretty popular site.

Steve

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

Too_Many_Tools

You are correct that roots will burn...and burn for a LONG time.

It is common in forests that burn for roots to smolder for months if
not years. A root can smolder underground and if the fire works its
way back to the top of the surface, you can have another forest fire
started. Something to think about where fires burned last year.

Another little detail those in towns may want to consider when burning
stumps and their roots is what buried lines you have in the
neighborhood? I have seen sewer, phone and GAS lines damaged by
burning roots. In one case, a burning root from a stump that was
burned three months earlier damaged a gas line and took the
neighboring house out. Big lawsuit followed. Many $$$$$ spent.

Any chance you could just build a flower bed on top of this stump of
yours?

Sometimes it is better to let Nature take her slow but steady course.

TMT

wrote:

[...]

Gary Coffman

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:55:10 +0100, "Steve" wrote:
"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
vaguely proposed a theory

BTW..............What "people in charge"? This is the Net!

I think he just blew his bandwidth on the server and got shut down. It got
to be a pretty popular site.

I don't think that was the issue. Purdue's servers have OC3 links
to the backbone (they handle student use of Kazaa, so they can
certainly handle hits to a faculty webpage). I strongly suspect it
was the content that got him shut down.

First they made him remove all references to his non-fluorocarbon
(non-Dupont) auto refrigerant (which works better than R12, is a
simple non-proprietary mixture, and has *zero* chlorine to affect
the ozone layer, unlike R134A)). There was some real big money
corporate and government politics going on there since it made
Dupont's chicanery with R134A look like the crooked manipulation
of government regulations it is.

He talked openly about that on the web page. This appears to be
the main issue that got him in trouble with the university (he works
for Purdue's IT department), ie he stepped on a big donor's toes.

Then they made him remove the recreational LOX pyrotechnics.
Not politically correct, bad example for youth, homeland security,
yada yada. At that point there was basically nothing left of his
web pages, so he shut them down completely.

Gary
daniel peterman

bob mologna

not the fine mesh pyro grade.

"daniel peterman" wrote in message
You can buy powdered aluminum at any screenprinting supply outlet in
containers as large as ten pounds. Try Mclogan supply in Los Angeles

----

Till the Next Time

JMartin957

not the fine mesh pyro grade.

"daniel peterman" wrote in message
You can buy powdered aluminum at any screenprinting supply outlet in
containers as large as ten pounds. Try Mclogan supply in Los Angeles

While flash powder will require the finer grade, this should be OK for
thermite.

John Martin