Koz

Default tips on stump burning? Changed to Ideas needed for those whocan't burn

Just to change things a bit.....

I am currently working on a maple stump about 4 feet across with another
5 or 6 feet of major root. It's on a city lot near the neighbor's place
so I can't burn. For now I have been digging about a foot down and
chopping out the roots to get to only a main stump area left.

That's where the problem comes in. I can't stump grind as this thing is
huge and there are other details that make it impossible to get a stump
grinder to access the remains. In fact, it's already been ground (at
the time of cutting) but some jackass had been piling dirt up over the
years to the 8 or so inches that a grinder reaches was still a couple of
feet above ground level at the stump. I am trying to get it down to a
foot below the rest of the yard so I can just plant grass or something
and let the rest rot.

I've tried some tests with chain sawing out pieces but the chain gets
dull so quickly that it's hardly worth the work. For now, playing
lumberjack with a sharp axe and wedges appears the quickest. It's
intolerably slow though...and I need to get this thing *gone* by the end
of the summer.

Any ideas that don' involve the joys of blowing stuff up or pyromania?

Koz

Jim Levie wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:59:38 -0500, williamhenry wrote:

anyone have any suggestions on the best way to burn stumps

I know I can have it ground , this is purely an entertainment stump,

just want to play with a little fire ?

can I pour LOX on it like in the grill video and reduce it to ash in short
order?

It's not much in the way of entertainment, but I've burned many a stump 8"
or more below ground level by setting a 55gal drum with no ends on bricks
over the stump. Fill the barrel about two thirds full of chunks of wood
and light it off. The process will take a number of hours and the fuel
supply above the stump will need replenishing from time to time.