John Ings

Default Serial Cable Question

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:31:16 -0800, "Tony Berlin"
wrote:

Machine: Vintage Boss 6 BP CNC. Accepts commands from a PC via RS-232,
rather than a tape generated program.

The CNC CAD/CAM program looks great, the post processor working perfectly,
but...........and here's the question, we need to find the pin-outs for the
serial cable; three wires plus ground from the controller. Any input? All is
appreciated.

Probably --not certainly but probably-- one input and one output,
So the one with appreciable voltage between it and ground (6 to 12
volts) would be the output that the controller uses to acknowledge
input (TD). The other one, with a few millivolts between it and
ground would be the input (RD).

Possibly one of these pinouts

http://www.connectworld.net/rs232.html

Keith Marshall

9-pin or 25-pin? if 25-pin, normally pins 2 and 3 are signal. If you need a
"normal" cable 2 matches 2 on the other end and 3 matches 3. If you need a
null-modem cable you swap 2 and 3 at one end. 7 is ground. I'm not sure
which other pin you'll need. It's been awhile. :-)

A 9-pin is the same for 2 and 3 but the ground is on 5 according to info I
found he

http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-...-interface.htm

And diagrams he

http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-...onnections.htm

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Tony Berlin" wrote in message
Machine: Vintage Boss 6 BP CNC. Accepts commands from a PC via RS-232,
rather than a tape generated program.

The CNC CAD/CAM program looks great, the post processor working perfectly,
but...........and here's the question, we need to find the pin-outs for

the
serial cable; three wires plus ground from the controller. Any input? All

is
appreciated.

Mike Patterson

wrote:

Machine: Vintage Boss 6 BP CNC. Accepts commands from a PC via RS-232,
rather than a tape generated program.

The CNC CAD/CAM program looks great, the post processor working perfectly,
but...........and here's the question, we need to find the pin-outs for the
serial cable; three wires plus ground from the controller. Any input? All is
appreciated.

They are almost certainly Transmit, Receive, and Common (or ground).

This may help:

http://www.loop-back.com/rs232_std.html

The voltages are bipolar ~12VDC, so you can usually figure them out
with a meter.

There are two type of connectors used in RS-232, DB-9 (9 pins) and
DB-25 (25 pins).

The PC end of the cable will be a female, I have no idea what is on
your CNC machine.

RS-232 is very tolerant of miswiring, so you might just try a straight
through cable and if that doesn't work, try a null-modem (otherwise
known as a crossover) cable.

HTH

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Carmine Castiglia

I seem to recall that the machine side of this link used a non-standard
round connector with a bayonet locking ring instead of a DB9/DB25 so it's
not as easy as simply trying standard cables...

"Tony Berlin" wrote in message
Machine: Vintage Boss 6 BP CNC. Accepts commands from a PC via RS-232,
rather than a tape generated program.

The CNC CAD/CAM program looks great, the post processor working perfectly,
but...........and here's the question, we need to find the pin-outs for

the
serial cable; three wires plus ground from the controller. Any input? All

is
appreciated.

Rex B

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:31:16 -0800, "Tony Berlin" wrote:

|Machine: Vintage Boss 6 BP CNC. Accepts commands from a PC via RS-232,
|rather than a tape generated program.
|
|The CNC CAD/CAM program looks great, the post processor working perfectly,
|but...........and here's the question, we need to find the pin-outs for the
|serial cable; three wires plus ground from the controller. Any input? All is
|appreciated.

Sounds like the simplest of basic RS-232 cables. I've pulled my hair out over
serial cables just as simple, until I ran across the sure-fire solution that
works everytime, connecting any two serial devices: SmartCable
They use a small logic chip. Just connect it, with adapters if neccessary,
and try some output with the slide switch in one of the 3 postitions. One will
always work.
Rex in Fort Worth
Wayne

Its serial communication
Func DB-9 PIN# DB25 pin#
Rec Data 2 3
Trans data 3 2
Clear send 8 5
Request send 7 4
Data set ready 6 6
Signal ground 5 7
Data term ready 4 20
Data carrier 1 8

now sometimes I had "short not really" on a db9 pins pins 7 and 8 or others.
this was to tell the PC to send the data even if the machine wasn't "ready"
You have to play with baud rates to get it to go smooth. I will see if I can
find my notes on what pins I had to wire to each other.

Bob May

Others have reported on the pin names but you need to remember that there
are several more pins on the computer end that may need to be tied together
in order to get the computer to output a signal.
Voltages are typically about +/-9V or so. Anything more than 5V is good for
a signal level although the computer will put out something between 9 and
12V ususally.
At the machine end with only 3 pins, one will indeed be tied to an
electronic ground, one will have a definite voltage on it and the third will
usually just be seemingly open.
If you don't have an original cable (even with a broken wire inside) you can
fight the problem for a long time if you don't know what is happening with
that system.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Carmine Castiglia wrote:

"Tony Berlin" wrote in message
Machine: Vintage Boss 6 BP CNC. Accepts commands from a PC via RS-232,

[ ... ]

but...........and here's the question, we need to find the pin-outs for

the
serial cable; three wires plus ground from the controller. Any input? All

is
appreciated.

[ ... ]

I seem to recall that the machine side of this link used a non-standard
round connector with a bayonet locking ring instead of a DB9/DB25 so it's
not as easy as simply trying standard cables...

Not just a non-standard round connector (connector made by AMP,
BTW), but it also mixes both RS-232 and 20mA current loop in the same
connector. I believe that the ground pin is shared between the two
interfaces. And I believe that a jumper is needed in the receive side
of the current-loop when RS-232 is in use -- but it might be DIP
switches on the interface card instead.

I should be able to look it up, if nobody else finds the
information first.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Wayne wrote:
Its serial communication
Func DB-9 PIN# DB25 pin#
Rec Data 2 3
Trans data 3 2
Clear send 8 5
Request send 7 4
Data set ready 6 6
Signal ground 5 7
Data term ready 4 20
Data carrier 1 8

now sometimes I had "short not really" on a db9 pins pins 7 and 8 or others.
this was to tell the PC to send the data even if the machine wasn't "ready"
You have to play with baud rates to get it to go smooth. I will see if I can
find my notes on what pins I had to wire to each other.

Not much use in this case, since the connector is neither the
DB-9 or the DB-25, but rather a round moulded connector by AMP, in
which both minimal RS-232 (TXD, RXD and signal ground) are mixed with
20mA current loop (dates back to the old ASR-33 Teletype days.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564