Mike Patterson

Default Serial Cable Question

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:31:16 -0800, "Tony Berlin"
wrote:

Machine: Vintage Boss 6 BP CNC. Accepts commands from a PC via RS-232,
rather than a tape generated program.

The CNC CAD/CAM program looks great, the post processor working perfectly,
but...........and here's the question, we need to find the pin-outs for the
serial cable; three wires plus ground from the controller. Any input? All is
appreciated.

They are almost certainly Transmit, Receive, and Common (or ground).

This may help:

http://www.loop-back.com/rs232_std.html

The voltages are bipolar ~12VDC, so you can usually figure them out
with a meter.

There are two type of connectors used in RS-232, DB-9 (9 pins) and
DB-25 (25 pins).

The PC end of the cable will be a female, I have no idea what is on
your CNC machine.

RS-232 is very tolerant of miswiring, so you might just try a straight
through cable and if that doesn't work, try a null-modem (otherwise
known as a crossover) cable.

HTH

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.