Old July 2nd 04, 03:27 PM
Marcos Scriven

Default Chasing cable for wall mounted plasma

There are loads of useful threads on here for chasing cables, but
there are a few things I haven't been able to find an answer to.

Firstly, my aim:

To hide the power cable and AV cable (a single cable which splits at
both ends, one with a DVI like plug, the other an audio plug of some
sort.) from the plasma TV to the cupboard at its bottom right (length
of cable only 3m, we're not talking vast distances). I am planning to
chase the cable into the wall, and take it to under the floor boards,
then go along literally only a metre, and then back up through the
floor boards to the cuboard, and there the power socket/media box. I
will probably hire a diamon chasing machine such as this:

http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=w...sysLanguag e=[BASE]&resetToGroup=YES

My plan is:

1) Remove one sheet of the lining paper which is there

2) Cut the channel with the above tool

3) Chisel out the channel with a hammer and chisel (bolster chisel I
presume?)

4) Put in some kind of plastic conduit which will allow the cable to
enter laterally (rather than threading through) as the plugs are
bonded plastic, and wired in a proprietary manner, so wouldn't want to
have to cut them off and replace!

5) Thread cable through floor board and ensure there is enough slack
both at the TV end and the cupboard end.

6) Use some kind of filler (polyfiller?) to fill in the channel.

7) Wait to dry

8) Sand as smooth as I can

9) Paste and cover with new lining paper

Done... Yeah right!

The problems I forsee, and need your advice with, a

1) How do I know the wall is strong enough for the plasma?

2) I am not sure what to do when it gets to the skirting boards. They
are pretty old (probably 1900-1905), and I can't see an easy way to
pry them from the wall. They are a good 100-150 mm high, and 15mm
deep. I just need to get that extra distance *behind* the skirting
boards, down into the floor board void (which I can get to with the
huge 1 metre crawl space underneath)

3) I am also worried old plaster/brick won't fare well with the
chasing

4) As I mentioned before, the proprietary cable has two quite wide
plastic bonded plugs (about 40mm width), so any holes will need to
accomodate that)

5) Will I be able to get a flat enough finish with polyfiller, at
least after it's covered with lining paper?

6) How can I line up the new lining paper with the old? Obviously
going to repaint but is it best to redo the whole wall? Or even
replaster?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marcos

Old July 2nd 04, 03:47 PM
Stephen Gower

Marcos Scriven wrote:

To hide the power cable and AV cable (a single cable which splits at
both ends, one with a DVI like plug, the other an audio plug of some
sort.)

Are you sure this is proprietary? It would be so much neater if
you could have the chased cable ending in a wall plate at each end
that you can plug into.

Anyway, I haven't got answers for all your questions, but I've been
doing a lot of chasing to upgrade the place we bought.

2) I am not sure what to do when it gets to the skirting boards. They
are pretty old (probably 1900-1905), and I can't see an easy way to
pry them from the wall. They are a good 100-150 mm high, and 15mm
deep. I just need to get that extra distance *behind* the skirting
boards, down into the floor board void (which I can get to with the
huge 1 metre crawl space underneath)

Get a long drill bit and drill down at as close to parallel with
the wall as you can behind the skirting board - don't try to remove
it.

5) Will I be able to get a flat enough finish with polyfiller, at
least after it's covered with lining paper?

You'd be better with a bag of one-coat plaster - certainly going to
be cheaper. Covering over a single chased duct it is fairly easy
to get flat enough.
--
Selah
Old July 2nd 04, 11:08 PM
Marcos Scriven

Stephen Gower wrote in message ...
Marcos Scriven wrote:

To hide the power cable and AV cable (a single cable which splits at
both ends, one with a DVI like plug, the other an audio plug of some
sort.)

Are you sure this is proprietary? It would be so much neater if
you could have the chased cable ending in a wall plate at each end
that you can plug into.

Here's a picture of the cable:

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/pdp504/pdah03lrg.jpg

The video part is definitely DVI, but I'm pretty sure the wiring
inside it is proprietary. It would be quite a task to wire up a DVI
wall socket, if indeed one existed. Also, I've no idea what the audio
part is. Never seen a plug like it.

Old July 2nd 04, 11:18 PM
Marcos Scriven

Have had a good look for DVI wall plates, and found this:

http://www2.dvigear.com/dviwallplates.html

Still no idea about the wiring, I guess the chased in part can be the
normal wiring, but you'd still have to do it for the patch cables, or
vice versa.

Also no idea about the audio part...

Old July 3rd 04, 12:15 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Marcos Scriven wrote:
Are you sure this is proprietary? It would be so much neater if
you could have the chased cable ending in a wall plate at each end
that you can plug into.

Here's a picture of the cable:

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/pdp504/pdah03lrg.jpg

The video part is definitely DVI, but I'm pretty sure the wiring
inside it is proprietary. It would be quite a task to wire up a DVI
wall socket, if indeed one existed. Also, I've no idea what the audio
part is. Never seen a plug like it.

What facilities do they provide? You don't, of course, have to use an
identical connector for your wall outlets - I'd probably just use a
suitable 'D' connector, which are cheap and reliable.

Of course the wiring would involve a bit of soldering...

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 3rd 04, 01:37 AM
[email protected]

Marcos Scriven wrote:

To hide the power cable and AV cable (a single cable which splits at
both ends, one with a DVI like plug, the other an audio plug of some
sort.)

Are you sure this is proprietary? It would be so much neater if
you could have the chased cable ending in a wall plate at each end
that you can plug into.

Here's a picture of the cable:

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/pdp504/pdah03lrg.jpg

The video part is definitely DVI, but I'm pretty sure the wiring
inside it is proprietary. It would be quite a task to wire up a DVI
wall socket, if indeed one existed. Also, I've no idea what the audio
part is. Never seen a plug like it.

The connectors are, if I remember correctly, a DVI-D and a DFP-MDR20. both
are video grade connectors, the DVI-D carrying picture and the DFP (digital
flat panel) everything else.
If it's a problem, pioneer do a 10m cable too, but sit down before you ask
how much it is......... Whoops, seen where picture was, obviously you know!

Mind you, if your choice of supplier was any good, they could have answered
this question for you, and not leave it to a third party.
Buy it from the web, and from the web it will be supported... Yeah! As if!
I prefer a desk to sit by, a cup of tea, and pleasant, knowledgeable guys who
care. (Even if they only care 'cause you can come back and give them grief if
neccessary...)
Try your local Sevenoaks store, their price is the same, and (usually, but
there can be exceptions) know what they're on about.

Steve.
Steve.

Overlord of the Stuffed Attic.
If it moves, I'll keep it..
If it stands still, I'll keep it..
If I want it, it's up there somewhere...

If I've not yet used it, it's not been kept long enough...

Any opinions voiced that are possibly contentious
were not written by me. Honest. No, really!
Well, they might have been. Or not. Burble-Burble

Old July 3rd 04, 02:24 PM
John Rumm

Marcos Scriven wrote:

floor boards to the cuboard, and there the power socket/media box. I
will probably hire a diamon chasing machine such as this:

Make sure you get one with very good dust extraction! Failing that a
chisel bit on a SDS drill will do the job with less mess if you don't
have access to good dust collection.

1) Remove one sheet of the lining paper which is there

I think I would just cut through it and then bring the finish up to
level with the top of the paper afterwards...

2) Cut the channel with the above tool

3) Chisel out the channel with a hammer and chisel (bolster chisel I
presume?)

Yup, or a cold chisel.

4) Put in some kind of plastic conduit which will allow the cable to
enter laterally (rather than threading through) as the plugs are
bonded plastic, and wired in a proprietary manner, so wouldn't want to
have to cut them off and replace!

I would have though it simpler to put in a conduit large enough to take
the connectos as well. If you don't then you may be able to get the
cable in there without cutting it - but it won't come out again
otherwise. Look at CPC - the do conduit and trunking in all sorts of sizes.

5) Thread cable through floor board and ensure there is enough slack
both at the TV end and the cupboard end.

6) Use some kind of filler (polyfiller?) to fill in the channel.

7) Wait to dry

8) Sand as smooth as I can

9) Paste and cover with new lining paper

Done... Yeah right!

The problems I forsee, and need your advice with, a

1) How do I know the wall is strong enough for the plasma?

How heavy is the plasma? What is the wall made out of? It it is any form
of block work it should be fine. If it is plasterboard (or lath and
plaster) over studs then you may need to locate the studs for fixing to,
rather than the gaps.

2) I am not sure what to do when it gets to the skirting boards. They
are pretty old (probably 1900-1905), and I can't see an easy way to
pry them from the wall. They are a good 100-150 mm high, and 15mm
deep. I just need to get that extra distance *behind* the skirting
boards, down into the floor board void (which I can get to with the
huge 1 metre crawl space underneath)

Get a 'kin big drill bit. One of the Screwfix 1m jobbies will get you
behind pretty much any skirting. You can also get special channeling
chisels for SDS drills designed to reach down behind skirtings.

3) I am also worried old plaster/brick won't fare well with the
chasing

If cutting with a disc based chaser then it will be fine. Using a
ordinary chisel on a SDS is also usually OK. Using a channeling chisel
on an SDS is quick but will cause more collateral damage on flaky plaster.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 4th 04, 12:01 AM
N. Thornton

(Marcos Scriven) wrote in message . com...

floor boards to the cuboard, and there the power socket/media box. I
will probably hire a diamon chasing machine such as this:

http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=w...sysLanguag e=[BASE]&resetToGroup=YES

You can buy an angle grinder for 16 from screwfix.com, and diamond
blades are 3 for 11 from toolstation.com - you'll only get through
one.

Seems a lot of work for such a trivial thing though.

Regards, NT
Old July 4th 04, 01:29 PM
Dave Liquorice

On 2 Jul 2004 06:27:00 -0700, Marcos Scriven wrote:

2) Cut the channel with the above tool

diamond chaser Remember to remove *everything* from the room and
possibly the house if use this or an angle grinder. They turn what
ever they remove to find dust then blow it all over the place.

For a single chase I'd either do it by hand with a cold chisel and
lump hammer or an SDS drill with rotary stop and chisel.
3) I am also worried old plaster/brick won't fare well with the
chasing

Does all the route of the proposed chase sound solid or hollow when
gently tapped? If it sounds hollow on a what is expected to be a solid
wall then the plaster is "blown" and may well fall off in large lumps
when you start to chase through it...

5) Will I be able to get a flat enough finish with polyfiller, at
least after it's covered with lining paper?

Only you can answer that, as it's a learnt skill involving the
consistancy of the filla when applied how set it is when smoothing and
how much extra water you spray on when smoothing.

6) How can I line up the new lining paper with the old? Obviously
going to repaint but is it best to redo the whole wall? Or even
replaster?

By removing "a strip" do you mean a full roll width or a narrower
area? If narrower cut through the new and old papers together so that
they must match.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Correction factors in running cable [email protected] UK diy 6 May 18th 04 08:08 PM
Car aerial cable ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 25th 04 05:12 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 04:38 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 01:59 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 01:43 AM