Marcos Scriven

Default Chasing cable for wall mounted plasma

There are loads of useful threads on here for chasing cables, but
there are a few things I haven't been able to find an answer to.

Firstly, my aim:

To hide the power cable and AV cable (a single cable which splits at
both ends, one with a DVI like plug, the other an audio plug of some
sort.) from the plasma TV to the cupboard at its bottom right (length
of cable only 3m, we're not talking vast distances). I am planning to
chase the cable into the wall, and take it to under the floor boards,
then go along literally only a metre, and then back up through the
floor boards to the cuboard, and there the power socket/media box. I
will probably hire a diamon chasing machine such as this:

http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=w...sysLanguag e=[BASE]&resetToGroup=YES

My plan is:

1) Remove one sheet of the lining paper which is there

2) Cut the channel with the above tool

3) Chisel out the channel with a hammer and chisel (bolster chisel I
presume?)

4) Put in some kind of plastic conduit which will allow the cable to
enter laterally (rather than threading through) as the plugs are
bonded plastic, and wired in a proprietary manner, so wouldn't want to
have to cut them off and replace!

5) Thread cable through floor board and ensure there is enough slack
both at the TV end and the cupboard end.

6) Use some kind of filler (polyfiller?) to fill in the channel.

7) Wait to dry

8) Sand as smooth as I can

9) Paste and cover with new lining paper

Done... Yeah right!

The problems I forsee, and need your advice with, a

1) How do I know the wall is strong enough for the plasma?

2) I am not sure what to do when it gets to the skirting boards. They
are pretty old (probably 1900-1905), and I can't see an easy way to
pry them from the wall. They are a good 100-150 mm high, and 15mm
deep. I just need to get that extra distance *behind* the skirting
boards, down into the floor board void (which I can get to with the
huge 1 metre crawl space underneath)

3) I am also worried old plaster/brick won't fare well with the
chasing

4) As I mentioned before, the proprietary cable has two quite wide
plastic bonded plugs (about 40mm width), so any holes will need to
accomodate that)

5) Will I be able to get a flat enough finish with polyfiller, at
least after it's covered with lining paper?

6) How can I line up the new lining paper with the old? Obviously
going to repaint but is it best to redo the whole wall? Or even
replaster?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marcos