Don

Default Changing oil through dipstick tube

I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.
Lane

"Don" wrote in message
I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

I can't imagine getting all of the oil out using this method, and what about
the oil in the oil filter and oil filter itself? Isn't the investment in
your vehicle worth doing it right?

Transmission fluid? Same as above.

Lane

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Don" wrote in message
I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

My opinion? I wouldn't do it. When properly done, an engine should have
the oil drained while hot, removing the drain plug, which should be the
lowest point in the pan. That way large particles of "dirt" are flushed
from the pan, making for a cleaner engine. On the other hand, if you're
unable to crawl under the vehicle to do it that way, it's far better than
not changing the oil. Most importantly, make sure you change the filter
each time so it doesn't pack off and start bypassing.

Harold

Bob Swinney

Lane sez: "and what about
the oil in the oil filter and oil filter itself?"

Naw, you'd still have to change the filter. There used to be "quick change"
places that used the dip-stick method.

Bob Swinney

"Lane" lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote in message

"Don" wrote in message
I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

I can't imagine getting all of the oil out using this method, Isn't the

investment in
your vehicle worth doing it right?

Transmission fluid? Same as above.

Lane

Wild Bill

The other replies offer sensible reasons for not doing your oil change that
way.

For automatic transmissions, it's best to drain the torque converter at
fluid changes. A service shop here would drill the converter housing to
drain it, then screw a tapping plug in it.
That type of service is worth paying for.

WB

"Don" wrote in message
I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

Rex B

|Naw, you'd still have to change the filter. There used to be "quick change"
|places that used the dip-stick method.

That method is the standard in the marine industry. Mobile oil suckers go along
the docks and change your oil. Kinda hard to get to that drain plug on a marine
engine.
Rex in Fort Worth
Stephen Bigelow

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
The other replies offer sensible reasons for not doing your oil change

that
way.

Yet *another* persona, Bill?

Steve

Wild Bill wrote:

A service shop here would drill the converter housing to
drain it, then screw a tapping plug in it.
That type of service is worth paying for.

Until a) they drill through the friction material on the lockup clutch
or b) the stupid tapping plug flies out at 6500 RPM, makes a hole the
size of your fist in the bellhousing, and takes the front half of your
right foot with it.

It was great back when all American automatics had drain plugs, but the
truth is that if you let the transmission drain overnight when you
change your fluid you'll get all but about 1.5 quarts out of the
convertor. Since most automatics hold between 8-10 quarts, that means
you're getting 80-90% of the fluid. Combined with regular changes,
that's PLENTY of fluid exchange and no cause to go drilling holes and
screwing plugs in a precision-balanced piece of machinery.

y_p_w

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message ...
"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Shouldn't any large particles of "dirt" be trapped by the filter?
jim

Don wrote:

I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

you not gonna get any metal parts in the oil that fell to the bottom....
at least when you take out the drain plug you have a chance to get out
all the trash as it going to settle to the bottom.....
mityvac makes some good products, but that is one that i would not want
from any manufacturer.....
Gary Brady

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

This is routinely done on boats because you can't reach the drain plug, and if
you could, the oil would spill out into the bilge and, eventually, into the
lake. I've used the drill powered pump. You'd have to pull the engine in my
boat to get at the drain plug.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, y_p_w wrote:

My opinion? I wouldn't do it. When properly done, an engine should
have the oil drained while hot, removing the drain plug, which should
be the lowest point in the pan. That way large particles of "dirt"
are flushed from the pan, making for a cleaner engine. On the other
hand, if you're unable to crawl under the vehicle to do it that way,
it's far better than not changing the oil. Most importantly, make
sure you change the filter each time so it doesn't pack off and start
bypassing.

Shouldn't any large particles of "dirt" be trapped by the filter?

Remove an oil pan from an engine that's had three or four of these
dipstick tube oil "changes" sometime, then ask your question again...if
you still have to.

Doug Arthurs

When I was a Kid my Dad's boat had a straight six Ford marine engine in
it. When refinishing the hull one summer he thought I'd be a good idea
to do a full drain of the oil. Turned out there was no oil pan drain
plug so we had to remove the pan entirely.

Chas Hurst

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, y_p_w wrote:

My opinion? I wouldn't do it. When properly done, an engine should
have the oil drained while hot, removing the drain plug, which should
be the lowest point in the pan. That way large particles of "dirt"
are flushed from the pan, making for a cleaner engine. On the other
hand, if you're unable to crawl under the vehicle to do it that way,
it's far better than not changing the oil. Most importantly, make
sure you change the filter each time so it doesn't pack off and start
bypassing.

Shouldn't any large particles of "dirt" be trapped by the filter?

Remove an oil pan from an engine that's had three or four of these
dipstick tube oil "changes" sometime, then ask your question again...if
you still have to.

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the oil removed
via the dipstick. Another poster found that the dipstick method was just as
good as draining. And some models of Benz (and perhaps other makes) have no
drain plug.
You need to review your conclusions.

Chas Hurst

Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

Shouldn't any large particles of "dirt" be trapped by the filter?

Remove an oil pan from an engine that's had three or four of these
dipstick tube oil "changes" sometime, then ask your question again...if
you still have to.

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the oil removed
via the dipstick.

Jolly good. However, this is rec.AUTOS.tech, and the question concerned a
car.

Another poster found that the dipstick method was just as
good as draining.

No, another poster *stated* the dipstick method is just as good. "Found"
implies he did some science to arrive at his conclusion.

You need to review your conclusions.

I conclude that opinions are like assholes: Everyone's got one, and they
all stink.

Lane

This is routinely done on boats because you can't reach the drain plug,
and if
you could, the oil would spill out into the bilge and, eventually, into

the
lake. I've used the drill powered pump. You'd have to pull the engine

in my
boat to get at the drain plug.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

But don't you at least change the filter? The OP sounded like he wasn't
going to do that.

Lane

Randy Zimmerman

Better yet do what I did on my Yanmar diesel in my boat. I drilled and
tapped a pipe fitting in the pan then ran a hydraulic line up the side of
the engine with a plug in the end.
To change oil I could drop the line below the engine in the bilge with a
coffee can or suck the oil out from above using that hydraluic line
Randy.

"Don" wrote in message
I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

Gary Brady

But don't you at least change the filter?

Yes, I always change the filter with the oil.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Chas Hurst

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

Shouldn't any large particles of "dirt" be trapped by the filter?

Remove an oil pan from an engine that's had three or four of these
dipstick tube oil "changes" sometime, then ask your question

again...if
you still have to.

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the oil

removed
via the dipstick.

Jolly good. However, this is rec.AUTOS.tech, and the question concerned a
car.

So what? We're talking about oil changes.

Another poster found that the dipstick method was just as
good as draining.

No, another poster *stated* the dipstick method is just as good. "Found"
implies he did some science to arrive at his conclusion.

How do you know he didn't?

You need to review your conclusions.

I conclude that opinions are like assholes: Everyone's got one, and they
all stink.

What a refreshingly original reply.

Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the oil
removed via the dipstick.

Jolly good. However, this is rec.AUTOS.tech, and the question
concerned a car.

So what? We're talking about oil changes.

Yes. Oil changes in *cars*. Cars with drain plugs that are accessible.

Another poster found that the dipstick method was just as
good as draining.

No, another poster *stated* the dipstick method is just as good. "Found"
implies he did some science to arrive at his conclusion.

How do you know he didn't?

'Cause he would've mentioned it and didn't.

I conclude that opinions are like assholes: Everyone's got one, and they
all stink.

What a refreshingly original reply.

Meow.

Chas Hurst

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the oil
removed via the dipstick.

Jolly good. However, this is rec.AUTOS.tech, and the question
concerned a car.

So what? We're talking about oil changes.

Yes. Oil changes in *cars*. Cars with drain plugs that are accessible.

Accessible from where? Under the car is not accesible.

You missed the part about Benz without drain plugs. Or more likely ignored
it.

Another poster found that the dipstick method was just as
good as draining.

No, another poster *stated* the dipstick method is just as good.

"Found"
implies he did some science to arrive at his conclusion.

How do you know he didn't?

'Cause he would've mentioned it and didn't.

How do you know that?

Bob

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the oil
removed via the dipstick.

Jolly good. However, this is rec.AUTOS.tech, and the question
concerned a car.

So what? We're talking about oil changes.

Yes. Oil changes in *cars*. Cars with drain plugs that are accessible.

Accessible from where? Under the car is not accesible.

Really? Then you're either an idiot without the capability to use a set of
ramps or a jack and stands, or you're too stupid to take it in and spend $20
and have it done by someone who can..... Your choice... which is it?
Bob

Chas Hurst

"Bob" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the

oil
removed via the dipstick.

Jolly good. However, this is rec.AUTOS.tech, and the question
concerned a car.

So what? We're talking about oil changes.

Yes. Oil changes in *cars*. Cars with drain plugs that are accessible.

Accessible from where? Under the car is not accesible.

Really? Then you're either an idiot without the capability to use a set of
ramps or a jack and stands, or you're too stupid to take it in and spend

$20
and have it done by someone who can..... Your choice... which is it?
Bob

I have a Benwil lift in my barn to do oil changes, and other work. Sorry,
under the car is simply not an accessible area for most car owners. Now lets
move onto those who have a physical impairment. Or those who have a mental
impairment, such as you.

Harold & Susan Vordos

m...

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Larger particles that won't pass the screen are what I had in mind. You
often find things in a pan when dismantling an engine, things that won't get
as far as the filter. Needless to say, if the don't get picked up,
they're likely to not be a problem anyway, but if you can flush them, that's
not a bad thing, either.

Harold

y_p_w

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, y_p_w wrote:

My opinion? I wouldn't do it. When properly done, an engine should
have the oil drained while hot, removing the drain plug, which should
be the lowest point in the pan. That way large particles of "dirt"
are flushed from the pan, making for a cleaner engine. On the other
hand, if you're unable to crawl under the vehicle to do it that way,
it's far better than not changing the oil. Most importantly, make
sure you change the filter each time so it doesn't pack off and start
bypassing.

Shouldn't any large particles of "dirt" be trapped by the filter?

Remove an oil pan from an engine that's had three or four of these
dipstick tube oil "changes" sometime, then ask your question again...if
you still have to.

I'm not necessarily advocating the dipstick method. I was just
thinking that the filter should stop the large bits from reaching
the sensitive areas of the engine, unless the oil pump comes
before the filter. This of course assumes that the filter is
changed before it gets clogged or falls apart. Someone who doesn't
want to crawl under the car to drain a bolt likely won't want to
change the filter either.

Brent P

In article , Chas Hurst wrote:

Accessible from where? Under the car is not accesible.

I can drain oil and change the filter on all three of my cars without
even raising them. The filter is a bit tricky on the mazda, but I can
still reach it and replace it from the top. I would say that merely
being under the car has nothing to do with accessibility.

Chas Hurst

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article , Chas Hurst wrote:

Accessible from where? Under the car is not accesible.

I can drain oil and change the filter on all three of my cars without
even raising them. The filter is a bit tricky on the mazda, but I can
still reach it and replace it from the top. I would say that merely
being under the car has nothing to do with accessibility.

Oh Yea? I bought a lift 'cause I'm not sure if I'm gonna get up the next
time I'm on a creeper. And ask your wife about that too.

y_p_w

jim wrote:

Don wrote:

I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I
hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.

I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid
dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking
off the pan.

Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the
way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You
use it with your air compressor.

you not gonna get any metal parts in the oil that fell to the bottom....
at least when you take out the drain plug you have a chance to get out
all the trash as it going to settle to the bottom.....
mityvac makes some good products, but that is one that i would not want
from any manufacturer.....

True. I remember dropping the pan in of a GM Hydra-Matic, and it
does make one heck of a mess. There's supposed to be a magnet
attached to the inside of the pan. Having the pan off gives the
opportunity to clean the magnet.

I like the Honda automatic transmission method. My '89 Integra
(4-sp auto) had a 5.7 quart capacity, but would drain out 2.5
quarts. What I liked about it was:

* No filter to be changed
* The only tool needed is a 3/8" ratchet and/or cheater bar
* The crush washer needed is the same size as the oil drain bolt.
* The car doesn't need to be raised to reach this drain bolt.

Of course the tranny wasn't very smooth and tended to hunt for a
gear, but that was before more sophisticated electronic controls
were available. I hear the current Honda auto trannies have
electronic controls and have gotten much smoother, yet have the
same ease of maintenance.

Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, y_p_w wrote:

I'm not necessarily advocating the dipstick method. I was just thinking
that the filter should stop the large bits from reaching the sensitive
areas of the engine, unless the oil pump comes before the filter. This
of course assumes that the filter is changed before it gets clogged or
falls apart. Someone who doesn't want to crawl under the car to drain a
bolt likely won't want to change the filter either.

If that's the case, the whole question becomes moot, for the engine will
grind itself to pieces before too many oil change intervals go by.
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

Yes. Oil changes in *cars*. Cars with drain plugs that are accessible.

Accessible from where?

From under the car.

Under the car is not accesible.

Only in those rare but noteworthy cases where some mystic force field
prevents you getting under the car with a wrench.

You missed the part about Benz without drain plugs. Or more likely ignored
it.

Yes, I ignored it.

Chas Hurst

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

Yes. Oil changes in *cars*. Cars with drain plugs that are accessible.

Accessible from where?

From under the car.

Under the car is not accesible.

Only in those rare but noteworthy cases where some mystic force field
prevents you getting under the car with a wrench.

A drain plug under a car is not accessible. Nothing mystical or rare about
at all.

Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

Under the car is not accesible.

Only in those rare but noteworthy cases where some mystic force field
prevents you getting under the car with a wrench.

A drain plug under a car is not accessible. Nothing mystical or rare
about at all.

Do you think, Chas, that if you say it fifty or a hundred more times it
will suddenly become true?

Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

DS
Matthew Hunt

In article ,
Chas Hurst wrote:

A drain plug under a car is not accessible. Nothing mystical or rare about
at all.

Well, damn. I guess I've been doing my oil changes all wrong, then,
by accessing the drain plug. I didn't know I was doing the impossible.
Bob

"Lawrence Glickman" wrote in message

Ray: Of course, they could accidentally suck out your transmission
fluid! But we'll give them the benefit of the doubt of knowing which
dipstick is which -- at least until we hear from our readers
otherwise.

------

IOW, Ray & Tom think it is OK.

So, I will try it.

Lg

So is the suction hose hooked to the dipstick tube or is it small enough to
be inserted through the tube down into the pan?
Bob

Steve

y_p_w wrote:

* No filter to be changed

I wouldn't OWN an automatic with no filter. Talk about pre-planned
obsolesence (failure). Sheesh.

Anyone used "Faithfull" tools? (PC50 Tube Cutter) Al Reynolds UK diy 8 July 12th 04 10:43 AM
rolling a bead on tube ends richard Metalworking 1 February 8th 04 05:55 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
Re; Tube coping JTMcC Metalworking 0 September 25th 03 12:44 AM