Gunner

Default OT-: Real Estate Crash coming soon ??

Ed? Comments?

The Fed usually telegraphs coming events IF you pay attention...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/02/24/national1014EST0556.DTL

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Ed Huntress

Default Real Estate Crash coming soon ??

"Gunner" wrote in message

Ed? Comments?

The Fed usually telegraphs coming events IF you pay attention...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../2004/02/24/na

tional1014EST0556.DTL

I didn't follow your link but I've been following the Fed's statements. If I
had anything worth adding I'd be rich, and not wasting my time here. g

Ed Huntress

Gunner

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:20:46 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Ed? Comments?

The Fed usually telegraphs coming events IF you pay attention...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../2004/02/24/na

tional1014EST0556.DTL

I didn't follow your link but I've been following the Fed's statements. If I
had anything worth adding I'd be rich, and not wasting my time here. g

Ed Huntress

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:20:46 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...e/2004/02/24/n

tional1014EST0556.DTL

I didn't follow your link but I've been following the Fed's statements.

If I
had anything worth adding I'd be rich, and not wasting my time here. g

Ed Huntress

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

Nationwide? I don't think so. The amount that's been re-financed over the
last few years looks like a lot of debt overhead, but it was low interest
rates, and reasonably low PITI payments, that made it possible. In other
words, unless the economy gets softer people should be able to pay their
mortgages. As long as they can, and unless values really collapse, they'll
probably keep paying them.

In California? Who knows? Your real estate has been riding a bubble for a
couple of decades, and it appears to be a pretty big one in some locations.
If people panic, it would be just like any other bubble. Pop!

Out here, I think it's less likely. As for the lenders, they are overloaded
with debt, which probably is what your link talks about. That paper is
already being discounted as rates inch upward. Financial institutions that
have a lot of uninsured paper are very exposed and are vulnerable to an
economic downturn.

But, like I said, if I was really confident about it one way or the other
I'd find a way to speculate on it and get rich. g

Ed Huntress

Glenn Ashmore

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Agreed that California is a unique situation. The thing is, as
Californians sell off and abandon the state they put a lot of pressure
on Oregon and Idaho home prices. They have a lot of gain that must be
reinvested in homes within something like 2 years and that sends home
prices in Boise through the roof. When California pops Boise will get
hurt but nowhere near as badly.

Fanny and Freddie don't actually hold the paper for very long. The
producers bundle a set of mortgages into pools and FNMA and FreddieMac
sell them to investors. They just insure the investors against default
so they are not really effected by rate changes directly the way the
investor is.

There are other mortgage insurance companies but those two are so big
that they are hard to compete against. Putting a ceiling on their
exposure would make it a little easier. OTOH, if there is a major down
turn in the ecconomy and the default rate goes way up, Fanny and Freddie
have no possibility of covering their liability. That will make a big
chunk of mortgage money just evaporate. Then, without afordable
financing, home values will drop big time.

That is not likely for several reasons. Traditionally the home mortgage
is the last debt to be defaulted on. Also, the idea of 100 million
people loosing their equity in their largest investment and the collapse
of the one industry that can't be outsourced would give the politicians
nightmares so the Feds would have to step in in some way.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

ff

Gunner wrote:

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

Gunner

Only if Bush gets another 4 years

Sue

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:10:49 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:20:46 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

Ed? Comments?

The Fed usually telegraphs coming events IF you pay attention...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../2004/02/24/na

tional1014EST0556.DTL

I didn't follow your link but I've been following the Fed's statements. If I
had anything worth adding I'd be rich, and not wasting my time here. g

Ed Huntress

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

If that's the case my kids better hope I kick off really soon. Bought
my house in '98 for $142,000, owe $36,000 and could sell it today for
$230,000 easily.
Sue

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

jim rozen

In article ZX2%b.2713$Ri6.222@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

That is not likely for several reasons. Traditionally the home mortgage
is the last debt to be defaulted on. Also, the idea of 100 million
people loosing their equity in their largest investment and the collapse
of the one industry that can't be outsourced would give the politicians
nightmares so the Feds would have to step in in some way.

Can't? I know of several retirees who find that moving to
someplace like Mexico, and spending their check there, makes
it go a lot farther.

That's a *kind* of outsourcing, of the housing industry.

Jim (should I move to china?)

please reply to:

Glenn Ashmore

jim rozen wrote:

In article ZX2%b.2713$Ri6.222@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

That is not likely for several reasons. Traditionally the home mortgage
is the last debt to be defaulted on. Also, the idea of 100 million
people loosing their equity in their largest investment and the collapse
of the one industry that can't be outsourced would give the politicians
nightmares so the Feds would have to step in in some way.

Can't? I know of several retirees who find that moving to
someplace like Mexico, and spending their check there, makes
it go a lot farther.

That's a *kind* of outsourcing, of the housing industry.

Jim (should I move to china?)

You got a point. I am seriously considering outsourcing myself to Costa
Rica. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ken Finney

"ff" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

Gunner

Only if Bush gets another 4 years

No, but if Bush doesn't get another 4 years, it is probably guaranteed.

Ken Finney

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

snip

The profit hasn't needed to be reinvested since about 1996. Before that,
prices were going up like crazy because of this. Since then, they've
just been going up!

Shiver Me Timbers

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

You got a point. I am seriously considering outsourcing myself to Costa
Rica. :-)

And you too have a point Glenn.

Where in the US do YOU live.

North East South or West.

Physically - How long would it take you to commute to Costa Rica on
any given day or week.

They seem to be much more stable than say Haiti so what would the
Government of Costa Rica do if you showed up with money in your
pocket wanting to set up shop or a second shop.

OUR government up here in Canada would welcome you with open arms.

But that wouldn't be a smart move on your part.

Last nite on our national news they showed a farmer from Western Canada
with snow still on the ground.

He had just come back from Brazil with photos in hand of huge tracts of
land available at reasonable costs. Where a Canadian farmer normally
requires about 25 years to pay off a farm debt in Canada..... In Brazil
it takes about 2 years....... BIG DIFFERENCE.

One aerial shot of a Brazilian farm showed about twenty tractors in
a V shaped formation harvesting a crop with about ten tractors behind
them planting the next crop.

That's a sight you would never see in Canada and I highly doubt you
would see it in the US no matter how big the farm operation was.

Now what would the government of China, Mexico, India, Pakistan say if
you offered to buy a house, land to set up a shop, set up a modern
shop, and treat the employees a bit more decently than they are treated
at present.

Would they welcome you with open arms or would they say no thanks we do
not want your investment or physical presence in our country.

You already know the answer to that.

It's being played out every day by the big boys like Microsoft, IBM,
etc.

So what's stopping a small player like MOM & POP from taking
a crack at it.

Out of curiousity why don't YOU contact the Costa Rican embassy in
Washington and ask about investment opportunites in their country.

Who Knows..... In six months you might be posting messages to this
group from Costa Rica and be making your anchors for a fraction of what
it cost you right now.

I do know that if I was a Canadian farmer looking at the bleak future
that many of OUR farmers are looking at..... And I had just come back
from Brazil........ I would be looking at myself and my kid's future
and seriously considering setting up a second farm in that country.

And I think that's the way the Global economy is goint to play out over
the next number of years where those with the ability to make capital
investments in countries like Brazil, Costa Rica, and China, etc., are
going to do so.

After all isn't that what many of our fore fathers did when the came to
the US and Canada over the past hundred or hundreds of years.
Ken Finney

"Shiver Me Timbers" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

[...]

Typing "costa rica moving to" in Yahoo yields lots of website likt this one:
http://escapeartist.com/oque/rica.htm

pragmatist

Gunner wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:20:46 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

No doubt the low interest rates have allowed prices to 'run away`, but
consider the debt and balance of payments situation. Long term, my bet
is the dollar will decline faster than 'real value` invested in real
estate.
Pragmatist.
Glenn Ashmore

Ken Finney wrote:

Typing "costa rica moving to" in Yahoo yields lots of website likt this one:
http://escapeartist.com/oque/rica.htm

That's why I was thinking about outsourcing my body down there. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

pyotr filipivich

A city wide blackout at Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:23:40 -0500 did not prevent Glenn
Ashmore from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:

Ken Finney wrote:

Typing "costa rica moving to" in Yahoo yields lots of website likt this one:
http://escapeartist.com/oque/rica.htm

That's why I was thinking about outsourcing my body down there. :-)

Yeah, but the commute is hard on the ol' body.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Paul Hiers

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:ZX2%b.2713$Ri6.222@lakeread04...
Ed Huntress wrote:
snip
Ed Huntress

Agreed that California is a unique situation. The thing is, as
Californians sell off and abandon the state they put a lot of pressure
on Oregon and Idaho home prices. They have a lot of gain that must be
reinvested in homes within something like 2 years and that sends home
prices in Boise through the roof. When California pops Boise will get
hurt but nowhere near as badly.

Uh Glenn,
Since May 7, 1997 you can have a gain of 500,000 married filing joint,
or 250,000 single and not owe a penny in income tax on the gain. That
is federal some states may tax your gain. You just have to live in the
home for 2 of the last 5 years and you can do that as often as you
like as long as you meet the 2 out of 5 year rule.

Paul the Taxman in NE Ohio
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:50:31 GMT, "Ken Finney"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Typing "costa rica moving to" in Yahoo yields lots of website likt this one:
http://escapeartist.com/oque/rica.htm

Reminiscent of the "Make Ca$h Fa$t!!!!!!!!!!!!" posts, wot?

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
ff

Ken Finney wrote:

"ff" wrote in message

Gunner wrote:

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

Gunner

Only if Bush gets another 4 years

No, but if Bush doesn't get another 4 years, it is probably guaranteed.

Can you explain why or is this just Republican neo-con fundie dogma?

Ken Finney

"ff" wrote in message
Ken Finney wrote:

"ff" wrote in message

Gunner wrote:

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

Gunner

Only if Bush gets another 4 years

No, but if Bush doesn't get another 4 years, it is probably guaranteed.

Can you explain why or is this just Republican neo-con fundie dogma?

Only if you will explain your socialist ranting!

Why, pray tell, will a real estate crash occur if Bush is reelected?
Is it because of "jobs going away"? As has been discussed here before,
the US has done pretty good in the "jobs going away" issue, compared to
other countries.

Is it because of outsourcing?
What are the democrats going to do to stop it? We all know how well
protectionism worked in the 1930s.

Is it because of Iraq?
I've "wargamed" what would have happened had Al Gore been elected,
and every situation I've been in has had the US at war with some country
by now.

Is it because Bush lost the "popular election"?
There has never been a "popular election" for President, nor will there
ever be one. The Electoral College vote has disagreed with the popular
vote four times, 2000 wasn't the first, nor will it probably be the last.

If Bush does not win re-election, the democrats will probably win one
or both sides of Congress. They will then attempt to do to the US what
they did in California. If that doesn't create a real estate crash, I don't
know what will.

Glenn Ashmore

Ken Finney wrote:

[...]

There is a REAL probability that the Fed will have to raise interest
rates to accomodate the Dubya's deficit. The usually inscrutable Mr.
Greenspand all but said so yesterday. That will definitely put the
breaks on housing starts and greatly restricts the Fed's options for
avoiding inflation.
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

jim rozen

In article tUu%b.3953$Ri6.3756@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

There is a REAL probability that the Fed will have to raise interest
rates to accomodate the Dubya's deficit. The usually inscrutable Mr.
Greenspand all but said so yesterday. That will definitely put the
breaks on housing starts and greatly restricts the Fed's options for
avoiding inflation.

That's nothing. Mr. G says they're gonna have to cut
social security benefits to trim the deficit. Uh oh,
I think I hear about 10 xillion AARP whipping out the
stationery to complain to the administration.

Jim

please reply to:

Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article tUu%b.3953$Ri6.3756@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

There is a REAL probability that the Fed will have to raise interest
rates to accomodate the Dubya's deficit. The usually inscrutable Mr.
Greenspand all but said so yesterday. That will definitely put the
breaks on housing starts and greatly restricts the Fed's options for
avoiding inflation.

That's nothing. Mr. G says they're gonna have to cut
social security benefits to trim the deficit. Uh oh,
I think I hear about 10 xillion AARP whipping out the
stationery to complain to the administration.

Stationery? In my neighborhood, they're whipping out the scythes and
pitchforks. I get to carry the torch.

Ed Huntress,
Card-carrying AARP'er

Gunner

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:13:52 GMT, ff wrote:

Ken Finney wrote:

"ff" wrote in message

Gunner wrote:

Is a real estate crash coming in your opinion? Ive talked to several
people in the last couple weeks here in California who seem to think it
is..and they are running scared as they own a number of homes etc for
investments.

Gunner

Only if Bush gets another 4 years

No, but if Bush doesn't get another 4 years, it is probably guaranteed.

Can you explain why or is this just Republican neo-con fundie dogma?

Oooh...Nice one Fast Freddie! You got in at least 4 Lefty derogatory
buzzwords in one sentence. Bravo! Good work.

Now for $10,000 here is the next sentence to work with:
" Republicans want to starve your children"

You have 10 seconds to use as many buzzwords as you can. Ready?

Start.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Larry Jaques

On 26 Feb 2004 15:14:55 -0800, jim rozen
brought forth from the murky depths:

In article tUu%b.3953$Ri6.3756@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

There is a REAL probability that the Fed will have to raise interest
rates to accomodate the Dubya's deficit. The usually inscrutable Mr.
Greenspand all but said so yesterday. That will definitely put the
breaks on housing starts and greatly restricts the Fed's options for
avoiding inflation.

(Brakes, too, Glenn.)

That's nothing. Mr. G says they're gonna have to cut
social security benefits to trim the deficit. Uh oh,
I think I hear about 10 xillion AARP whipping out the
stationery to complain to the administration.

We all need one of these to take away our fears:

CAUTION: SPEWAGE ALERT
- Do not have a mouthful of liquid when you click this link. -

http://www2.warnerbros.com/madmagazi...ots_437/6.html

(Gunner, you ain't gonna like this one.)

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 04:18:24 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Stationery? In my neighborhood, they're whipping out the scythes and
pitchforks. I get to carry the torch.

Ed Huntress,
Card-carrying AARP'er

Eh, heh heh heh. Effigy time? (See the reference link
I posted in another topic, RE crash.)

So, what are the benefits of AARPeeing?

And what was the truth behind the backlash from their
backing the recent Medicare bill? Did they really negotiate
the best deal for their clients, or will the missing drug
price bartering clobber 'em?

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Ed Huntress

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 04:18:24 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Stationery? In my neighborhood, they're whipping out the scythes and
pitchforks. I get to carry the torch.

Ed Huntress,
Card-carrying AARP'er

Eh, heh heh heh. Effigy time? (See the reference link
I posted in another topic, RE crash.)

A good one. I've saved it.

So, what are the benefits of AARPeeing?

Discounts on cheap motels, and, sometimes, big breaks on soft food at
restaurants, if you're willing to eat supper at 4:00 PM. Hearing-aid
batteries are a good deal, too.

And what was the truth behind the backlash from their
backing the recent Medicare bill? Did they really negotiate
the best deal for their clients, or will the missing drug
price bartering clobber 'em?

I don't ask questions. I just pay my money and jerk my knee.

Ed Huntress

AARP! AARP! (flap flap flap flap....splash!)

Ken Finney

Ken Finney wrote:

[...]

Of course they will be raising interest rates, but it is because of the
growth in the economy. The current rates were dropped to these
levels to stimulate the economy, now that it is stimulated, they are
going to be raised to more "normal" levels. And yes, I am willing
to concede that financing the deficit will be a factor in the rise.

Ken Finney

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article tUu%b.3953$Ri6.3756@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

There is a REAL probability that the Fed will have to raise interest
rates to accomodate the Dubya's deficit. The usually inscrutable Mr.
Greenspand all but said so yesterday. That will definitely put the
breaks on housing starts and greatly restricts the Fed's options for
avoiding inflation.

That's nothing. Mr. G says they're gonna have to cut
social security benefits to trim the deficit. Uh oh,
I think I hear about 10 xillion AARP whipping out the
stationery to complain to the administration.

To trim the SS deficit, not the General Fund's deficit.

And by "trimming", the main thing they will do is raise the age when
you can collect. Since as of right now, I can't collect full benefits
until I'm 67 years and 10 months old, after they raise it further,
I doubt I'll ever get much out. C'est la vie.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:18:15 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
brought forth from the murky depths:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
So, what are the benefits of AARPeeing?

Discounts on cheap motels, and, sometimes, big breaks on soft food at
restaurants, if you're willing to eat supper at 4:00 PM. Hearing-aid
batteries are a good deal, too.

What's that noise? Could it be a stampede toward the phone
to order up a membership?

And what was the truth behind the backlash from their
backing the recent Medicare bill? Did they really negotiate
the best deal for their clients, or will the missing drug
price bartering clobber 'em?

I don't ask questions. I just pay my money and jerk my knee.

I'm sure glad I didn't have a sip of coffee in my mouth
right then, Ed.

Ed Huntress

AARP! AARP! (flap flap flap flap....splash!)

Well, _you're_ certainly in good humor tonight. giggle

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---