BigWallop

Default Rainwater Coming Out Of Airbrick in a Capped Chimney

"EMV" wrote in message
m...
We have an unusual problem with rainwater coming out of a capped
chimney at the back of a victorian house. The chimney stack is no
longer there and has been replaced by a slate roof.

We've been trying to work out where the water is coming in and why it
is doing a 90 turn to come out the airbrick.

We have had a roofer look at roof over the capped chimney a while back
but he couldn't see a problem.

I couldn't find any posts related to this sort of problem so I'd be
grateful for any more knowledge that people have concerning this.

The background to why we are concerned is that the water from the
airbrick runs down onto a slate roof above the kitchen. Water is
getting between the kitchen roof and the brickwork and leaking into
the kitchen. While we can fix this problem (and hopefully keep the
kitchen dry) we are concerned as to why there is water coming out the
airbrick in the first place.

Thanks

E. Varnell

Hi EMV,

This is only happening when it rains ? Are you looking in the right place
for leaks ? The rain water may be coming from a blocked guttering trough
and overflowing down over the back and then down the surface of the masonry
and through to the inside through the airbrick.

It could also be coming through the old joints in the masonry and you may
need the wall repointed again. Not actually seeing the site and the
positions of things is a real pain and makes this type of diagnoses almost
impossible over the net. So these are just some suggestions of what could
be. Widen your search of the roofing materials and you may find that it is
further away from the spot you think it is coming from.

EMV

Many thanks. Sounds like we need to get a big ladder to have a closer
look at the guttering.

We have decided to get a chartered surveyor round shortly so hopefully
he will be able to give us some advice on the state of the pointing
and whether it needs to be redone.

E.Varnell