Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Default Large 304 stainless steel "washer"

I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because laser
cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might get too
expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Abrasha wrote:

I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because laser
cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might get too
expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Sounds like an easy job for any shop that has a plasma cutter, CNC or
manual with a circle jig. Plasma is much cheaper than laser and produces
a much better cut than oxy/acet aka flame cut.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
digitalmaster

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because laser
cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might get too
expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

you cannot cut stainless with an oxy/acetelyne flame,
must use plasma or laser.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

you cannot cut stainless with an oxy/acetelyne flame,
must use plasma or laser.

Or water jet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I could to that easily. Half inch is on my edge though. Best to find some CNC guy with a 1260 Hypertherm
or such - I am told I can cut 1/2 and messy cut higher.

How perfect are the edges ? - is it a surface flat or is it show stuff.

I could cut and let you clean the edges as needed. Grinding or hammer/flat steel edge rod... :-)

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Abrasha wrote:
I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because
laser cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might
get too expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the
San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with
the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably
flame cut, because laser cutting is a great deal
more expensive. So much so that it might get
too expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I
should go for this in the San Francisco Bay
Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

It will have to be plasma or laser cut. You can't
flame cut stainless steel.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Abrasha wrote:
I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because
laser cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might
get too expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the
San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

I meant to say "plasma cut" instead of "flame cut", my bad.

As far as the responses I have received are concerned, with all do respect, I
don't care how it's done.

What I need is a price quote or the name and phone number of a place in the San
Francisco Bay Area that can do this for me. I have not been able to find any
leads yet.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

Abrasha:

Try these guys -- their brochure says they offer both abrasive
water-jet and plasma cutting in the size range you need, for nickel
alloys and stainless steel. They apparently have a San Francisco
office.

http://www.twmetals.com/contact/High...nce_Alloys.pdf

Regards,

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

What are you making? A bracelet for King Kong?

Regards,

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Bob wrote:
Abrasha:

Try these guys -- their brochure says they offer both abrasive
water-jet and plasma cutting in the size range you need, for nickel
alloys and stainless steel. They apparently have a San Francisco
office.

http://www.twmetals.com/contact/High...nce_Alloys.pdf

Regards,

Bob

Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Bob wrote:
What are you making? A bracelet for King Kong?

Regards,

Bob

I am making a decorative "ceiling flange", to bridge the gap, between a new
stainless steel fireplace flue and the edge of the hole in the wooden ceiling
through which this flue passes.

Here is a before picture. http://www.abrasha.com/misc/ceiling%20gap.htm

Please note, that this is the old flue. It has terra cotta inside of galvanized
steel.

The new flue will be a galvanized steel flue, inside a 14 ga stainless steel
sleeve around which this ceiling flange will be installed. The new flue will
have a smaller diameter than the old one, so the gap in the photo will be wider.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Pete C. wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

Bob wrote:

What are you making? A bracelet for King Kong?

Regards,

Bob

I am making a decorative "ceiling flange", to bridge the gap, between a new
stainless steel fireplace flue and the edge of the hole in the wooden ceiling
through which this flue passes.

Here is a before picture. http://www.abrasha.com/misc/ceiling%20gap.htm

Please note, that this is the old flue. It has terra cotta inside of galvanized
steel.

The new flue will be a galvanized steel flue, inside a 14 ga stainless steel
sleeve around which this ceiling flange will be installed. The new flue will
have a smaller diameter than the old one, so the gap in the photo will be wider.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Good grief! If that's what it's for why on earth do you need .5" thick
SS? Surely something in a much lighter gauge would be just fine. I'm big
on overkill, but even I wouldn't go that overboard.

Pete C.

I knew someone was going to mention that. I know I could get this in 14 ga or
10 ga and be done with it. However, 1/2" will look a great deal better. A thin
one will just look wimpy, and a thicker one will look just right. It's all
about aesthetics, not just function. I will post a picture when it's done.

I know the plate will weigh about 25 lbs, so it will be hollowed out from the
back, to reduce the weight to about 10 lbs, which will help a great deal during
installation.

So why don't I have the whole thing fabricated out of thinner stainless steel
sheet? Cost. The fabrication of such a plate, i.e. a 14 ga sheet welded onto
14 ga ring and cleaned up, and then drilled with a 6 hole bolt circle will cost
about 5 times as much as a machined 1/2" stainless steel washer.

I have quotes for that already. I am now just trying to get the raw material as
cheaply as possible. I already have the machinist lined up who will face both
sides of the plate, which will most likely be warped from the heat of plasma
cutting, trim the OD and ID to spec and hollow out the back and drill and
countersink the holes for the screws.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

It will, of course, have your signature inlaid gold ring and rivets...?

Even if you forego the ring, I don't see how you could possibly resist
a nice triangular arrangement of gold rivets. Probably need, what,
about 1" thick rod to keep them in scale?

Seriously, it might make sense to just forget machining the back and
save the bucks, other than drilling the mounting holes -- the
difference in weight isn't going to make all that much difference,
given you will need to fasten it to the framing in any case. And if
you get it water-jet cut, there won't be any distortion. I'm not sure
what is cheaper with that size stock, plasma or water-jet, but not
machining it might make up the difference in any case. Might not
distort even with a plasma cutter -- you see that fancy scroll-work CNC
cut stuff all the time, and it doesn't warp, although of course it's
much thinner than 1/2 inch stock.
..
Regards,

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Abrasha wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

Have you considered making it something other than round? Hexagon or
octagon where it could be bent from lighter gauge sheet and only have a
few seams to weld vs. an entire perimeter?

Do you have any sort of tech schools in the area? Perhaps it could be
fab'd as a class project as low cost (either design).

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Abrasha wrote:

I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because laser
cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might get too
expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Most good steel supply companys have a plasma burning table to cut
shapes. The cost of cutting at the supplyer I deal with is next to
nothing , probably 5 bucks for cutting the plate you need.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Now Pete put up another one - a 7 sided or 9 or - maybe an eyebrow shape on one side
or both long sides :-)

CAD is wonderful like that - did a foot ball looking C with T A&M within the T bridging
and below the A&M - the ampersand within the T.

I do ovals by doing a minor circle and then changing the height - a tall oval. Rotate as needed.

Been doing CAD for so many years in IC's and PCB - now to plasma cut the various metals.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Pete C. wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

John wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because laser
cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might get too
expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Most good steel supply companys have a plasma burning table to cut
shapes. The cost of cutting at the supplyer I deal with is next to
nothing , probably 5 bucks for cutting the plate you need.

John

Great.

Do you know of any "good steel supply companies" in the San Francisco Bay Area
that might be able to do just that?

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Now Pete put up another one - a 7 sided or 9 or - maybe an eyebrow shape on one side
or both long sides :-)

CAD is wonderful like that - did a foot ball looking C with T A&M within the T bridging
and below the A&M - the ampersand within the T.

I do ovals by doing a minor circle and then changing the height - a tall oval. Rotate as needed.

Been doing CAD for so many years in IC's and PCB - now to plasma cut the various metals.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

I just added a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 to my collection of toys,
haven't got in on CNC yet, but will soon. My current project is
upgrading power to my shop.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Abrasha wrote:

John wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

[...]

Nope, only in PA. and thereabouts.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl

Waterjet will give you an extremely nice cut. You can do the washer,
and any holes you need drilled all in one operation. There will be
absolutely no distortion, and the edge will have a nice sand-blasted
finish. It will probably be more expensive than plasma, though.

There are zillions of waterjet shops around. For a list of some of
them, visit:

http://www.waterjets.org/waterjet_jobshops.html

For even more (but you have to phone in), visit:

http://www.omax.com/job_shop_match.html

- Carl.

John wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

John wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

Have you tried Bayshore Metals? I think they have a CC plasma table...
Andy or Steve will be able to let you know.

Regards,

Peter

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because laser
cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might get too
expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I cut some 14 ga 304L today - nice cut. Used 40 amps and there was a little
whisker on the bottom and the normal brown line where it went through the extreme
temps.

It is likely doable with a large enough plasma cutter. Use fine cut (current density!)
the small beam carries all of the current. I had spray 3' long under it - but no
real problem. Nominal edge work is needed - the edge itself is black. Oxide I suppose.
So water jet isn't mandatory - but is a good choice.

Water jet does give some swarf on the edge - not as perfect as most think.
Normally they use man made semi-precious stone - garnet... spinel...

Martin - wish I had one and the building it takes to house.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

John wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

John wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Easy on a plasma table.

I'd think design needs to think on this - perhaps a unique shape - like a diamond
in the sky - when someone looks at it - they smile not just see something 'functional'
and assume it was someones standard part.

Something like a fan blade with lobes would be interesting -

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

It could be done with a good sized plasma cutter and a template made of
something like OSB.

Dan

Forming Stainless Steel [email protected] Metalworking 7 October 4th 05 09:40 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
STAINLESS STEEL Blueing (or blackening) my_2¢ Metalworking 9 January 25th 04 10:09 PM
Stainless steel pipes. Mark UK diy 5 December 19th 03 10:48 PM
Stainless Steel kitchens Head Home Repair 6 December 11th 03 08:05 PM