Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Large 304 stainless steel "washer"

Abrasha wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

Bob wrote:

What are you making? A bracelet for King Kong?

Regards,

Bob

I am making a decorative "ceiling flange", to bridge the gap, between a new
stainless steel fireplace flue and the edge of the hole in the wooden ceiling
through which this flue passes.

Here is a before picture. http://www.abrasha.com/misc/ceiling%20gap.htm

Please note, that this is the old flue. It has terra cotta inside of galvanized
steel.

The new flue will be a galvanized steel flue, inside a 14 ga stainless steel
sleeve around which this ceiling flange will be installed. The new flue will
have a smaller diameter than the old one, so the gap in the photo will be wider.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Good grief! If that's what it's for why on earth do you need .5" thick
SS? Surely something in a much lighter gauge would be just fine. I'm big
on overkill, but even I wouldn't go that overboard.

Pete C.

I knew someone was going to mention that. I know I could get this in 14 ga or
10 ga and be done with it. However, 1/2" will look a great deal better. A thin
one will just look wimpy, and a thicker one will look just right. It's all
about aesthetics, not just function. I will post a picture when it's done.

I know the plate will weigh about 25 lbs, so it will be hollowed out from the
back, to reduce the weight to about 10 lbs, which will help a great deal during
installation.

So why don't I have the whole thing fabricated out of thinner stainless steel
sheet? Cost. The fabrication of such a plate, i.e. a 14 ga sheet welded onto
14 ga ring and cleaned up, and then drilled with a 6 hole bolt circle will cost
about 5 times as much as a machined 1/2" stainless steel washer.

I have quotes for that already. I am now just trying to get the raw material as
cheaply as possible. I already have the machinist lined up who will face both
sides of the plate, which will most likely be warped from the heat of plasma
cutting, trim the OD and ID to spec and hollow out the back and drill and
countersink the holes for the screws.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Have you considered making it something other than round? Hexagon or
octagon where it could be bent from lighter gauge sheet and only have a
few seams to weld vs. an entire perimeter?

Do you have any sort of tech schools in the area? Perhaps it could be
fab'd as a class project as low cost (either design).

Pete C.