Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Large 304 stainless steel "washer"

I cut some 14 ga 304L today - nice cut. Used 40 amps and there was a little
whisker on the bottom and the normal brown line where it went through the extreme
temps.

It is likely doable with a large enough plasma cutter. Use fine cut (current density!)
the small beam carries all of the current. I had spray 3' long under it - but no
real problem. Nominal edge work is needed - the edge itself is black. Oxide I suppose.
So water jet isn't mandatory - but is a good choice.

Water jet does give some swarf on the edge - not as perfect as most think.
Normally they use man made semi-precious stone - garnet... spinel...

Martin - wish I had one and the building it takes to house.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Carl wrote:
Waterjet will give you an extremely nice cut. You can do the washer,
and any holes you need drilled all in one operation. There will be
absolutely no distortion, and the edge will have a nice sand-blasted
finish. It will probably be more expensive than plasma, though.

There are zillions of waterjet shops around. For a list of some of
them, visit:

http://www.waterjets.org/waterjet_jobshops.html

For even more (but you have to phone in), visit:

http://www.omax.com/job_shop_match.html

- Carl.

John wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

John wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

I need a large 304 stainless steel washer, with the following dimensions.

OD 21.5", ID 14.625" Thickness .5". Preferably flame cut, because laser
cutting is a great deal more expensive. So much so that it might get too
expensive for my needs.

Can anyone give me a price quote, or where I should go for this in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Most good steel supply companys have a plasma burning table to cut
shapes. The cost of cutting at the supplyer I deal with is next to
nothing , probably 5 bucks for cutting the plate you need.

John

Great.

Do you know of any "good steel supply companies" in the San Francisco Bay Area
that might be able to do just that?

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com